1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should We Require New Church Members

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Great! Thanks!! I'll look at the spreadtruth.com link maybe later tonight if I have a chance to sit down for more than 10 minutes today. LOL

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And that, in my humble opinion, is exactly what is wrong with many churches in our country today.

There is no allegiance to the local assembly, only to oneself as a supposed member.

#82 Mexdeaf, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I fully agree. We make it a requirement for ministry to be a member of the church. If you are not willing to become a member, how do we know that you will commit to ministry? Since we have not gone through the church's beliefs and spoken to you about your beliefs, how do we know that you will uphold what we teach at our church when you are in ministry? So when you do not become a member of our church, you are a consumer. You are there for your own feeding without contributing to the growth of the church. Yes, we have attendees who are not members but should they be attending for a period of time, we encourage them to join.

4. pk4life

pk4life Member

Well, that may be the case with some. But that has not a whole lot to do with membership.

I've seen memberships granted, and then the people stop coming soon after. There are plenty of members in our previous church, who visit other local churches on a regular basis.

With a 6 mo. window to show up before your membership gets revoked, there's not a whole lot of allegiance necessary to upkeep most church memberships anyway.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My posts of membership before training classes were based on Acts 2:41-47. In reality, it gets back to the policy of the local church. If a church's policy is to have an indoctrination of some type, one follows it. Otherwise, another church should be sought out.

6. pk4life

pk4life Member

I agree, if you're desire is to join such a church, you should follow the plan laid out for membership.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe this should be left up to the local church; they know their neighborhood and the locals well enough to decide for themselves.

I don't particularly like the idea of mandatory classes, but if I felt led to join that church I would attend. In fact, some years ago we were required and did attend such classes at a local Baptist church we attended.

8. pk4life

pk4life Member

That information comes the same way whether you add their name to a list or not.

I've seen plenty of members of churches who did not contribute, and God bless them for showing up to services.

Whereas I've ushered, cleaned, worked sound equipment, helped with teen classes, my wife has taught children's classes in two different churches, and has done nursery in all 3 churches we have attended. All with no membership.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'm glad you were/are involved, but to me a church without membership is like a club without membership. And you definitely are the exception to the rule for non-members.

10. PeterM

PeterM Member

There are areas of ministry/service I don't have a problem with non-members participating in. However... handling money, greeting guests, teaching (which implies authority), and especially working with our kids in nursery requires membership and when nursery is concerned, a criminal background check.

Ministry in the church is a privilege and it should be handled by people who have submitted to the authority of the church and are in full support of the church's vision and mission, as well as the essential doctrines of the church. I'm not sure how you maintain accountability without membership. There's no way I can tell guests their children are in safe hands with people we've not trained but can attest to their having a clean record.

Membership isn't about a list, in my view. Membership is a covenant relationship between a Christ-Follower and a church that defines the relationship they share. Membership affirms my testimony in Christ as I am grafted in to the body. On the flip side, my association with them affirms the church's doctrine, mission, and vision.

As a baptist, regenerate church membership must be reclaimed and a membership class/orientation is but one tool to get us there. It's not the only one for sure. Church discipline plays a role as well... how can anyone be disfellowshiped from something if they don't "belong" to that something in the first place?

Just a few thoughts...

#90 PeterM, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
  11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Amen and amen.:thumbsup:

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

So everyone else gets to decide if one is "saved enough" or "sincere enough" to be a member of "their" church?

[​IMG]

If you ask me, it's that attitude that afflicts the church.

13. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some churches take a vote.

In our church, it's the elders who decide.

But, yes, to put it crassly, we do get to decide whether or not one is "saved enough" to be a member of our church.

Although we prefer to think of it as protecting the integrity of the church and protecting them from joining unworthily (which would include taking the Lord's Supper unworthily) by examining their testimony, their doctrine, their fruit, and their sanctification.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So lets get this straight, despite being received daily by the church in Acts, Acts 2: 41, you and your "elders" decide who is "saved enough." By what standard is that judged? Yours?? What level of testimony, doctrine, fruit and sanctification have you and your elders reached to make a standard?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did the early church just receive anyone? Or did they also have a requirement to discern if one were saved or not?

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What does the verse say?

17. PeterM

PeterM Member

In a word... yes. The pastors/elders and finally the church. We examine the person's testimony that has either been written out or shared in a 1 on 1 with one of the pastors.

Are we obligated to accept "I'm a Christian" at face value? I wish that we could... but we now exist in a postmodern, pluralistic culture where the term Christian has been hijacked by just about everybody. That's been done... for more than several decades and the results are constant conflict, church splits, and a broken testimony in the communities we have been charged to reach.

Nothing we implement will ever be foolproof, but to allow a person to join a church without verifying as much as we possibly can seems to be irresponsible. If church membership affirms a person's salvation, by extending membership to those who aren't truly regenerate gives them a false assurance.

If I want to buy booze or tobacco, I have to provide ID... proving I am of legal age to do so. Member orientation serves a similar purpose, along with conveying the other things we've discussed.

Not every church does this, and not every will. I don't think I would "join" a church that didn't do these things. Just as some would join one that did.

18. PeterM

PeterM Member

Unfair comparison... but to answer your question, yes. It was a public baptism that ultimately affirmed a person's testimony.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. But other than that, we can't point to that verse and say "We should have no requirements because they added daily" because we don't know if they had very stiff requirements and still accepted numerous people each day. In a quickly growing church, we could have many joining the church each week - but still have a class that they need to attend or a meeting with the pastor/deacon(s) in order to do so. :)

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So Peter, how does your post square with Acts 2? Also, it is the responsibility to also learn all they can about a local church before even thinking of joining. That would include doctrine, government, and even the cliques.

As far as elder government, having spent 25 years as a Presbyterian, elders generally have no more spiritual maturity than the average active church member. Instead of being elected for spiritual maturity, they are elected on social status in the community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.