1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should We Speak of An Angry God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Apr 17, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I cannot say for sure.

Did the jailer hear about hell?

Must a person hear about hell before coming to the Lord?

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm almost in agreement, but an announcing of the wrath of God is not what God uses in some cases.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Surely they must understand what they need to be saved from.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

From their sins, but a mention of hell or the wrath of God does not follow.

At times, the mention of hell or the wrath of God might be what the Spirit uses.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#85 Revmitchell, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What i am looking for here is what motivates you to skip it?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#88 Revmitchell, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thief acknowledge Christ as innocent and not deserving of what was happening. Not applicable.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. nunatak

nunatak New Member

This thread and posts has lead me to a question. Didn't God's wrath fall on Christ? And when we talk about the wrath of God, aren't we saved from His wrath in that it fell on Christ?

13. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

I love the smell of brimstone in the morning.
    No really, that was from a scene in a movie. I think.:smilewinkgrin:
    But I do love hell fire and brimstone sermons.
    The problem with todays churches is they are afraid to preach against sin.
    Hell fire sermons keep the collection plates empty and you can't have that now can you.
    Go along to get along is not what Christ had in mind when he spoke clearly to the Scribes and Pharisees.
    Wish washy Christianity is the reason the world doesn't take us serious about hell and if they don't take us serious about hell than they won't take us serious about heaven.
    "as in the day of Noah, so shall also the coming of the son of man be".
    I believe God was angry when he sent the flood. Do you?

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

Well said and very true.

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

As to the OP,

Yes, I believe we are to proclaim the wrath of God, but that does not necessitate that we all do it the same way.

Anytime we share Christ crusified we MUST proclaim that in order for any man to go to heaven Christ had to die for our sins. That of itself declares God's wrath against sin. There is no gospel where Christ has not died and rose again.
    Does God save without the gospel? NO! The gospel is the power of God unto salvation.

Does have to preach hell fire and brimstone? No!

Take the Etheopian and Philip. Remember the passage the Etheopian was reading. He didn't ask what must I do to be saved? Apparently either he already knew how or as Philip was explaining it, he got saved then. What scripture does record is him asking "what prevents me from being baptized?".

I think the better question isn't 'should we' but 'how far are we to take it?".

I think that is a question only answered in the moment as the Holy Spirit leads each person and or Pastor's message.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Allan,

Don't get me wrong! Yes, we must preach the wrath of God and the cross of Christ. Look at my trailer verse.

But all I'm saying is this: God can use a word shared by someone without ever mentioning the wrath of God to draw someone to Himself.

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

Are you speaking about 'drawing' or 'saving' cause they are two seperate things. Though they do connect they aren't the same thing.

I would agree in that aspect that one can speak of God (absent His wrath) and God draw a person to or toward Himself. But salvation is only given once the gospel is received by faith and that holds the aspect of Gods wrath which can not be set aside, and I think you agree.

I saw your trailer verse and saw that you even stated:
    However, after that you began agreeing that one can be saved 'without' declaring the wrath of God. I have to disagree based upon the gospel message.

Thus a person can not come up to another and say "God loves you so much and wants you to be saved today, will you be saved by Him today" and that person truly become saved based upon that.

Scripture says the Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, His righteousness, and the judgment to come - but how will they know without a preacher (Rom 10:14) Now you might state that this verse simply says they wont know unless someone tells another about God but not specifically 'what' is told. And if scripture ended there I would agree with you but when we look at the next verse it tells us exactly what the preacher is telling them:
    EDITTED IN -- Now that I think about it, I might agree with you based upon an exception. That the person has ALREADY been told about Gods wrath, and thus a person can come up and speak with them about everything else. Thus knowing both the wrath and the grace they by the Holy Spirits conviction incorporating both aspects together - will save the person who by faith receives it.

#97 Allan, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2008