1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should we tithe or give?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Soulman, Feb 19, 2005.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Don't struggle, do it ...

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Dave: God has always provided and will continue to do so, should I take matters into my own hands and put money away for retirement? I am struggling to find the answer for myself on this. A church doesn't have this issue though.

Dave, We definately need to trust God in all things. He gave us certain abilities. When one is sick He gave us physicians. He provided ways for us to plan our retirement. For some very comfortably, for others the bare minimum. It depends on our abilities to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. I think planning for retirement in some way is responsible so as not to burden others.

Just so you know, most of the pastors I know have retirement built into their salary packages.

3. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I understand that God gave abilities and provides ways to plan our retirement. Maybe this wasn't the greatest example of my struggle. I have been blessed with a good income and have too often indulged my own wants and desires rather than given to ease the burden of the poor.

Retirement is an example of savings, at what point does it become hoarding. While there is probably nothing wrong with some saving, when does it become excessive? When does it become a snare? We are stewards of what God entrusts to us. When is it appropriate to hoard rather than give?

We in America, I think, are so used to an affluent society that we don't look on ourselves as being self indulgent when we simply have the norm for our culture. Compare to those in poorer countries and we are quite rich by comparison, and indulge in what to people there would be great luxeries. This entails some of what I am starting to feel convicted about.

This is probably something I should have started a new topic for, though. I didn't mean to redirect from the topic of tithing.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Isn't prioritization of one's spending habits important to the doctrine of tithing?

5. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prioritization of one's spending habits is important to the doctrine of tithing, or offering, or simply giving back to the Lord for what He has given us.

I believe that giving to the Lord should be the top priority. I was brought up in a church that didn't call for tithing as such, but did always teach that you should give to the Lord's work from the top rather than the bottom. This has always been my belief. When I got married, my wife had grown up with the idea of tithing. As a couple we have always done 10% although, as a rule, I would tend to do more than that, all other considerations aside.

I wish I could say that we always do give the 10%, but I will make no such claim. This is the goal, however. I try to take that off the top without regard to what bills are outstanding. When I am most faithful in this, I have the least financial problems. A funny thing about God's provision. He blesses obedience, even if it is simply to our own committment to Him rather than the express command of scripture.

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by El_Guero: Isn't prioritization of one's spending habits important to the doctrine of tithing?

It is important to the doctrine of giving. The doctrine of tithing is not for the new testament and has nothing to do with you giving 10% of your earnings to anyone.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Show me ...

8. Soulman

Soulman New Member

El Guero, Check your e-mail. Anyone else that wants a solid bible study on the tithe, let me know and I will e-mail it to you. I felt it was too big to paste on the board.

9. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

Soulman,

Are you a Pastor? Just curious. Also, is this 'solid Bible Study' fruit from your own personal study, or is it from some fellow on the internet who is just as aberrant in his teaching on other doctrines?

El Guero, the answer to your question is yes. However, stewardship and priority are not popular amongst many on the BB.

10. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Soulman,

I would appreciate a copy of the bibile study on the tithe. I would like to review the scriptures and search out if there are other applicable ones as well.

Thanks,
    Dave

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Deuteronomy ...
    chapter 14: 22

might be a good place to start ...

12. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by izzaksdad:
    Are you a Pastor? Just curious. Also, is this 'solid Bible Study' fruit from your own personal study, or is it from some fellow on the internet who is just as aberrant in his teaching on other doctrines?

I'll answer your question as to wether I am a pastor or not when you tell me why you want to know or why it matters. This particular study is not my own. It was one I have stored in my online e-mail. I have studied it out on my own and drew most of the same conclusions. I am not online at home. I don't know alot about the mans other teachings other than I thought he did a fairly decent job on the tithe.

If you feel he was wrong, lets' discuss it.

13. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by El_Guero:
    Deuteronomy ...
    chapter 14: 22

might be a good place to start ...

Deut. 14:22Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

Ok. First of all cash was never mentioned. Who were they to pay this tithe to? It wasn't the Church. Nor can you imply that it should be carried over to the Church.

We are not under the law! Some people are trying to make this thing into something it is not. The bottom line is I know I am not in the majority here. That doesn't change the fact that the way Jesus Christ set up giving in the New Testament was free will offerings. Nothing more and nothing less.

People can rant on about how good they feel about tithing and how right it is all they want. Tithe if you want to. It doesn't make it a New Testament doctrine just because folks have been lied to and have believed it all their lives.

I believed in tithing until about a year ago. I was in one of those churches that beat you over the head with it. I saw bretheren lose the blessing of giving due to the stress of food on the table or 10%. I watched them believe the lie that if you spend your bill money and tithe you will end up with plenty of money. Trust God. Tithe and He will bless! That is NO WHERE in the bible!!

What is in the bible is: 1 Timothy 5:8
    But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

I watched people step out on faith time after time only to be disapointed.

God wants us to give as HE lays on our heart. If my kid needs shoes and I can only give 7%, I can buy those shoes because it is right and also have the blessing of giving.

I think that when it is possible we should give much more than the 10% people tithe. But if you give less it is between you and God.

Put your names on the envelopes if you want, but it is nobodys business how much you give and to whom you give it.

14. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I want to let members of BB know of my beliefs on tithe.

I was once faithful giving tithes to the church from my paycheck by more than 10% or more. God do truly blessed me by giving tithe to God during church service.

Till about 3 years ago, I realized tithe was part of God's law, and used during Old Testament's economy.

When reading throughout the New Testament, I cannot find a single verse saying that we are commanded to give tithe to God at the church service.

Either Jesus or Paul never teaching on tithe is a commanfdment.

I learned that Malachi 3:10 is not just speak toward us as Church of today's. This verse, also include whole chapter 3(in contextually) was speak toward Levi priests.

Often many churches use 1 Cor. 16:1-2 teaching on tithe. But, 1 Cor. 16:1-2 never saying about church service. 'Store' is speak of temple. The context of 1 Cor. 16:1-4 is not just focus on money or offering. Paul asked them, to give anything - food, clothes, letters, money, etc. No one colleect them till Paul comes and bring them all to Jerusalem, because the poor people needs things.

Also, throughout in the New Testament does not teaching that we must give exactly 10% of our income salary money to God at the church service.

Many churches are mistakely teaching on tithe to the congregation.

I already seeing so many pastors in America are greedy, and have lack of their faith, they only teaching or urge members to giving tithe, many pastors received money come from members' money.

I ask you, do Jesus and Paul asking to people, that they need support or money from them?

I find no verse in the four gospels, that Christ begs people or disciples to give tithe or money to Christ.

I consider, Jesus Christ was the world's greatest missionary, because he have great faith. He does not have a job, and never ask for support like as 'deputation'.

Same with Paul, I consider, Paul was the world's second greatest missionary. He never ask people to give tithe or support money to him. He only have his own bussiness - tentmaker, by selling tents to people, that's how he earned money from the customers by brought tents.

You see, America is the world's richest nation. Now, we see there are so many fancy church buildings, Bible colleges, Christian business, etc. Because of tithe reason.

Should I judge Christian who continue giving tithe faithfully? No. I rather leave them alone, let God takes care of them who giving tithe. No doubt, God do truly blessing them who is giving tithe.

Many pastors have the wrong idea, that they saying God will punish upon a Christian, who do not giving tithe. The reason is, many pastors seem pushing them or to scare them to giving tithes, so, they will making some money from them.

I haven't give "tithe" for 3 years. My finanical is doing GREAT! I faithfully paying the bills on right time. Even, I do willing giving money during offering time by through my heart. I never get in trouble with finanical while I do not give 'tithe'.

Tithe is no longer apply to us as New Testament saints.

Because we are under the new covenant through calvary. Christ already pay our sins through his blood.

We can only is giving thank to God for Jesus Christ.

Also, we should helping to giving for what people needs, also, helping to support missionary too.

Early Church history, Christians do not have own church building. They were worshipped together in their homes.

The true meaning of 'Church' means God's people, NOT a building, where people attend to worshipping God.

Tithe was caused teaching come from Roman Catholic. Because Roman Catholics builted their own fancy church buildings by stolen from people's money. They were wrong.

Now, almost all religions are practice tithe. Thank to Roman Catholic's influence.

God does not push or force us to giving. God only interest in our heart with our desire, and joyful with the right attitude, that's all.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

15. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

If Duet. 14:22 is a good place to start, lets look at the rest of the chapter. According to Duet 14, I can plant a garden, eat my own tithe from it for three years (eating at a designated location ); or i can redeem the crop and buy whatever i want with the money. At the END of the THIRD year, i give the tithe to others. I think I'll start to look at the seed catalogues, now.

22 "You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year. 23 And you shall eat before the Lord your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. 24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the Lord your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the Lord your God has blessed you, 25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses. 26 And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household. 27 You shall not forsake the Levite who is within your gates, for he has no part nor inheritance with you.

1. 28 "At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates. 29 And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:eek:

Quoted from Richard above...

posted March 07, 2005 05:39 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If Duet. 14:22 is a good place to start, lets look at the rest of the chapter. According to Duet 14, I can plant a garden, eat my own tithe from it for three years (eating at a designated location ); or i can redeem the crop and buy whatever i want with the money. At the END of the THIRD year, i give the tithe to others. I think I'll start to look at the seed catalogues, now.

22 "You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year. 23 And you shall eat before the Lord your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. 24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the Lord your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the Lord your God has blessed you, 25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses. 26 And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household. 27 You shall not forsake the Levite who is within your gates, for he has no part nor inheritance with you.

1. 28 "At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates. 29 And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hummmm.....This SURE doesn't sound like the kind of TITHING we hear taught about in most Baptist(or any other)Churches today....does it?Sounds like the model of the idea of distribution to the saints to meet the needs of those who DON"T have anything...nothing in here about building big ole church buildings either.....just a thought.Hummmmm!

Greg Sr. :rolleyes: [​IMG] :D

17. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

I am afraid that our churches, in many places, are in the pitiful shape that they are in due to how the membership treats the Word of God. There are many teachings in the Word of God that we readily accept and choose to live by- as well as encourage others to live by (10 Commandments, Model Prayer, Beattitudes, etc.). However, the problem arises when the Word gets personal, ie.: the Tithe. We then try to re-interpret, re-write, or make it say what it does not say, in order to let us off the hook. We can't have it that way folk. The claim that the tithe is bondage for believers today is absurd. The greatest freedom I have ever known is when I became captive to God, His Son, and His Word.

I say again, tithing, like other disciplines of the christian life, is a matter of obedience. We give of our treasure to those things we love- entertainment, vices, wants, non-essentials, etc. In most cases, in most situations, the tithe is there-it is just given to someone else other than He Who is Altogether Worthy of it.

In answer to the OP, should we tithe or give? the answer is a hearty YES!

18. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by IZZAKSDAD: There are many teachings in the Word of God that we readily accept and choose to live by- as well as encourage others to live by (10 Commandments, Model Prayer, Beattitudes, etc.). However, the problem arises when the Word gets personal, ie.: the Tithe.

What model would you like to tithe after? Your livestock? Vegetables mabey? There isn't even a cash model to tithe to even if we wanted to. We should give! Modern day tithing is nothing more than a man made doctrine.

It's intent is to force you into giving a percentage of your income or you just aren't right with God. This false doctrine IS designed to make you feel inadequate if you can't give up to snuff. It lies to you promising blessings if you comply. (also not in the bible). This man made doctrine is unbiblical, unethical and not God honoring. He NEVER set new testament tithing into motion and neither should we.

Give! Give! Give! But don't call it a tithe. It doesnt exist in its present form.

The claim that the tithe is bondage for believers today is absurd.

In what way Sir?? We are Christians here aren't we? We are supposed to stand up for the truth. That is what I am doing. I have more than shown biblically that the modern day tithe is what is absurd. Why don't you stop using conjecture and mabey try using a little New Testament scripture to back yourself up? I'll tell ya why. There isn't any. Neither is there any in the old testament that backs up tithing as it is being done today.

19. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

I have given ample scriptural support to tithing in other posts. The point is, we need to quit watering down the Word in order to soothe our guilty conscience. Soulman, I do not want to get into a war of words with you, I just want to challenge you to be a better student of the Word, and more than that, an obedient doer of the Word.

I am reminded of a song we teach our children at church that is fitting here: "O-B-E-D-I-E-N-C-E, obedience is the very best way, to show that you believe. Action is the key, do it immediately; joy you will receive. Obedience is the VERY best way, to show that you believe!"

Soulman, find joy in giving God His tithe- and His offering, and whatever else! But the minimum is the tithe!

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Greg Sr. & Richard I am impressed ... ACTUALLY reading God's Word and what He has to say about the subject ...

That is the ONLY passage that has changed my theology in all of these years of study ...

In Christ