1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should women be allowed to baptize?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by LillyoftheValley, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

At the church we visited they had black t-shirts to give to those being baptized and it had the church logo on the front and on the back it said....shoot...I'll have to ask my husband to be sure but I think it said "Transformed" or something like that. :) I thought that was a great idea!! They then get to keep the t-shirt.

2. LillyoftheValley

LillyoftheValley New Member

Thank you annsni
    not only do I feel this thread has finally gotten back on track, but there are some great posts for me to think about.

This whole thing started because my sister (who has been raised Presbyterian) has started to take a look at baptism on her own instead of blindly accepting what she has been taught all of her life, and feels that what she has been told all along is wrong. If she does get baptized either our pastor or my husband will be the likely one to do the job (she and I both feel that I should not), but it got me thinking... even though I never would - is there anything Biblically wrong with women baptizing (specifically other women).

3. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you Ann.... for your posts....I tend to agree with this sentiment...but why?....... I guess it has to do really with the whole of revealed Scripture, but....why do we feel this way???? Something says.... absolutely...find a Godly man... and yet something says.... dunno why... just dunno...have a man do it... Thank you for your insight :)

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

As long as it is applied within it's context as a servant and not a leader then there is no problem. The problem comes when one tries to say as a deacon she had SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY over men. No deacon (Servant) has any spiritual authority in that context. Where we run into problems is trying to apply a spiritual leadership context to the word.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I do believe that there is a special calling for men to be pastors (not women) and that as such, there is something about a man in leadership doing the baptizing. I was baptized by a man. My husband was baptized by a man and all of my children have been baptized by men - the youngest two being baptized by their dad!! But in some cases, I think it is more appropriate for a woman to baptize a woman because of modesty/lack of availability/fear on the part of the baptizee (LOL).

6. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I have to agree with Ann here on this. Many women go into women's prisons where men cant go and teach the gospel to women.

Preaching the gospel is not the same as being a pastor. The Bible doesnt prohibit a woman from being a teacher, only a pastor...and there is a huge difference

John

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Okay, Sally, see if you can comprehend this: Since Valley and you want to call me by my last name, I was returning the favor, and since I don't know your last name , I used a form of your made up identity.

Other point: If Valley is trying to call out everyone, as you assert, why did she single me out specifically?

Got it now? Maybe you can comprehend that, in spite of your expert military training.

8. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

All you got are insults, huh?

I'd like to meet you in person and see how tough you are. You know my real name and address. What is yours? Care to answer, military man?

What are you afraid of?

Come on down and have a drink with me and show me how bad you are. :laugh:

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Well, well. That is hilarious. :laugh:

So, kyredneck is right after all. LOL

Does hubby have to get your permission before he can insult me, or does he do that all on his own? :)

10. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

O.K. again..... this is simply not a thread that was designed for you...or anyone of your persuasion about particular topics.... I am NOT trying to out-macho you in any way, I concede.....You are by far the better physical specimen... I know this.......You believe women should be ordained as ministers...... Lilly specifically asked in her OP only those who do not believe this to respond you elected to interject yourself in this thread

I am a sissy who is physically threatened by your masuline superiority... thus.... in mercy...willl you simply not hurt me and not respond to threads where you are NOT (by definition) invited to respond?? She wants the opinion of people who share some of her premeses....she called YOU out by name for one reason and it is this:

Prior to her creating the thread I told her, in so many words....you are going to open a can of worms with the "Women should be ordained" crowd...I told her that there was a particular "Michael Wrenn" who would inevitably show up (un-invited) and post on this thread that you are trying to intentionally exclude him from, at the start....you can add nothing to the conversation... you can in no way help her....you showed up...as I predicted.... she asked that ONLY those who shared her premesis respond..... but...... Michael Wrenn has to hear himself talk...just start another thread any leave my wife's poingnant, pointed andchallenging question alone.

I am physically, emotionally, and intellectually threatened by you...and I acknowledge you as my superior in all ways....

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I only posted after I saw everyone else doing so and no one objected.

Come on, brave boy; tell us who you really are and where you live. Don't hide behind a computer, if you are all you claim to be. You started this.

12. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I tried to convey to you in my last post that I physically fear you and your prowess as a fighter...I prefer to Hide behind my computer. You have called me out by name... and I have failed to answer....out of fear....your honor is preserved and mine is compromised....I stand ashamed. If it is a duel you challenged me to, I am too much of a coward to meet you....by default, score 1 for you,

did I not say this:

#72 HeirofSalvation, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Fighting? Nah, just a battle of wits, and in person.

But one who is going to engage in insults, name-calling, and dishonesty should have the courage to reveal their identity. You don't.

14. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I seriously don't know what you mean Michael, about identity??? Where they live, who they are, I am simply not as computer savvy as you are....really...what am I missing?? I do not know your last name...I only know"Michael Wrenn" I simply don't know whether that is your "actual" name or not.....Do I know where you live???? No, I actually don't. Is there some form of internet decorum I am unaware of??? Consider: I have actualy not even had internet access for about the last 3 years...you make too many assumptions...and I was a computer illiterate then too!!!
    I honestly do not get all of this.... and I concede that I will with no reservation.... LOSE any battle of wits you challenge me to...Again, you call my bluff...and I fail to deliver...You win.

#74 HeirofSalvation, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
  15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You know my real name and where I live. My identity and location are there for everyone to see. Can't say the same for you.

16. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

O.K. probably on the public profile somewhere....I have not looked at it, and would not actually know how to change it unless I tried....didn't actually think one could...I am sorry....I am more computer illiterate than you think...whatever scenario is playing out in your head.....I am simply incapable of responding in like kind....Is there a "User profile" that you have released more info on than I have? Is that what you are driving at?.....I honestly don't know, and as far as I know your name is "Michael Wrenn" and you live....somewhere....I have no idea where...I am not going to ask you where you live....I think if you wanted to tell me, you would have.

17. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Can you see across from my name on the right-hand side where it says "Location: Charleston, MS"

Anyway, you are derailing your wife's thread by continuing to respond to me. You shouldn't be doing what you accused me of, now should you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.