1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should Women be allowed to partake of the Lord's Supper?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Wittenberger, Aug 4, 2012.

1. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

BTW, I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read statements like this.

"Just because it isn't in the Bible does not mean its not biblical". :tonofbricks:

Something can not be found in Scripture and still be found to be godly, which is entirely different than being biblical.

Example:
    Tonight we are having shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches for supper. This meal is not biblical. It is, however, godly, because it will be taken with thanksgiving and served with love and care to my family.

What we drive is not a biblical issue. However, how we drive may not be godly. Am I being loving? Am I submitting to the authorities God has placed over me?

We do have ideals and precedents found in Scripture that help for our doctrine and inform our conscience. I have already explained this as it relates to baptism in an earlier post. Scripture does tell us to watch our tongue and be careful of the things we say. It does not ban specific words. In such a case we take the principals related to the issue that we do find in Scripture and apply them to our cultural context. Words that are offensive in some contexts are not offensive in others. Care should be taken.

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The Lord's supper (or communion) is for ALL who are born again--not just the men.

3. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Ok, all my Baptists and evangelical friends. Since I'm not a pastor or theologian, I am going to do some studying and then...I'LL BE BACK...on this subject!!!

Michael Wren, how did you like my "its from the pit!" line. I heard that alot growing up as a fundamentalist. I hadn't seen it for over 20 years until I saw it in some of your comments.

Oh...they brought back memories...not good ones...but they did bring back memories!

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Actually, we do.

Judges 3 relates Ehud's visit to King Eglon. Eglon was in an upper room, when Ehud entered. It's widely believed that the upper room was his rest room. He was alone and the door was locked.

I Samuel 24:3 tells us that Saul went into a cave to "cover his feet."
    Every translation newer than the KJV translates it as "relieve himself."

The Bible often uses euphemisms for bodily functions and other private activities.

Since this thread will soon be closed, thought I'd clear up a thing or two.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is the number one thread for the ridiculous in BB history. The Bible is very explicit about who is not qualified to partake in the Lord's Supper. Scripture commands each person to examine himself worthy to partake, and gives serious penalities who take communion friviously. This could include a grudge against another person, using the Lord's Supper as a party, or rampant, unrepentant sin.

Where do you get off adding a requirement not there? Someone's gender is a new qualification? An example of someone who should be denied the Lord's Supper, if you want a valid example, is one of your pristine church members that has not darkened the door for decades, and shows no evidence of living a life for Christ. My guess is that if some of the members on your roll did show up after years of absence on communion day, you would let him partake.

Can you expand that doctrine to include no Baptism for women? There is no such thing as a conservative Lutheran. How does one conservatively believe in infant baptism, and has a hierarchy and elder form of government, ignoring the concept of the local church. If Lutherans, Methodists, Episcaps, and Presbys took the trouble to break away from the Catholic Church, why do you continue their unbibical practices like infant baptism and a hierarcy government? Why do you continue forms of closed communion like the Catholics? Why do you require a communicant's class or some other type of indoctrination to join a church when the Bible clearly teaches against it? What is your views on election, free will and eternal security and how has that changed from Catholic doctrine?

Before you make a thread challanging those of the Baptist faith on how they administer communion, when Baptists did not come out of the RCC, then maybe you should get your own basics straight, because you cannot seem to let go of old Catholic chants and rituals. By the way, the Lord's Supper is administered by the local church, not a bishop or presbyter.

#25 saturneptune, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
  6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

You're free to use it, of course. I don't like to use it and don't make a habit of using it -- unless it's true.

I think your problem is that you grew up as a fundamentalist. I did, too, and I wanted to get far away from it after I got grown. But I found there were just as many errors elsewhere. I also discovered that I could hold onto cherished Baptist/Anabaptist principles without being a fundamentalist - or a liberal. That's why I butt heads with so many here -- they don't know what to do with me. :) I don't fit neatly into any category.

But on this issue, I am firmly in agreement with Baptists of all camps here.

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I agree. Good post.

#27 Michael Wrenn, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
  8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

:thumbsup:Thanks Tom. I had forgotten that! :thumbsup:

If you are anywhere close to Lone Oak, Ky. watch out for S/N!:smilewinkgrin::tonofbricks:

9. mandym

mandym New Member

Having been to Asia I know all to well that the "bathroom" is in the upstairs room. I specifically mentioned the toilet not just bodily functions. Nothing here to clear up.

10. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    err...by definition if something isn't mention in the bible it isn't scriptural!

11. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then, the Trinity is not scriptural. Plain & simple!