1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

should women be teachers in the church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by soninme, Sep 24, 2007.

1. soninme

soninme New Member

i believe from these two scriptures that women are not to teach in the church , i would appreciate your feedback on this :thumbs:

King James Bible
    And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in church .

“Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety” (1 Tim. 2:11-15).

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

No, women should not be teachers of men.

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I agree that women should not teach in church, but at the risk of sounding Clintonian, I would ask what does it mean to teach and what does it mean by church? In James 3:1, the connotation equates "teacher" with a professional person. Could this be what Paul meant? Certainly the part about forbidding a woman to exercise authority over a man suggests the office of pastor or perhaps deacon. With this in mind, what do you think about these situations?

Women preaching (not pastors but preaching)?

Women leading in prayer during worship service?

Women reading scripture during worship service?

Women serving as ushers during worship service?

Women as ministers of music?

Women as ministers of education?

Women operating the PowerPoint projector (arguably the most powerful person in the whole congregation)?

Women teaching Sunday School to children?

Women teaching Sunday School to other women?

Women teaching Sunday School to men?

Women leading a home Bible study attended by both women and men?

Women serving as non-ecclesial officers of the church--treasurer, moderator, trustee, etc?

Women are doing many of these things in my church and doing a fine job. Yet I don't feel completely comfortable having them in these roles, mostly due to the scripture cited in the OP.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sadly I must admit that I have seen women fail to keep their Christian vows of silence in church.

Some give their testimony.

Some teach children's story

Some teach the youth

Some (shudder) sing for special music.

This is just awful!

And some of them actually learn in church.

What is this world comin to??!!!:laugh:

Apparently they had similar atrocities going on in the NT church

1Cor 14 EACH one had "a prophecy or a tongue or a teaching" while in church!!
    That must have driven Paul crazy!!

#5 BobRyan, Sep 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2007
  6. soninme

soninme New Member

thanks for the feedback bob , but i think in a roundabout way your answers were very childish and that you missed the point , god bless you and thankyou bro .

7. soninme

soninme New Member

sadly this is happening in many churches today ,
    In Old Testament times, there are accounts of women taking over because the men were too weak in character to do the job. In those cases, God seemed content, even pleased, with their positions of authority.but as i said i am looking for feedback on this , than you so much for yours , god bless you .

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

If the OP's wishes are carried out, I don't know of a single church in this area that will function.

IMO you're trying to carry things further than Scripture.

9. soninme

soninme New Member

rbell , was this pointed at me , 'Some folk are just clueless. They don't have a clue. They can't get a clue...They couldn't get a clue if they smeared themselves with clue musk and did the clue mating dance in a field full of clues during clue mating season.......? , the scripture i posted originaly is the word of god , not from me , and scripture cant mean what it doesnt mean .:thumbs:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I suppose, then, you still offer animal sacrifices and don't mix fabrics, too...

BTW, God should be capitalized.

11. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I am saying no to the OP.

And, our church would function fine, as it does already without women teachers.

12. soninme

soninme New Member

webdog.........?

webdog for someone with so many posts your reply was childlike with no substance , dont you know that us born again spirit filled christians have no need for sacrifes , as jesus paid the price , we are under a new covenant , and as for the fabrics thing , you have lost me bro , but may the lord bless you and keep you always my brother , thanks for the feedback , your view was important to me , ty again :wavey:

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Just yesterday I was watching a particular tv station where a woman came on and said she was the pastor of a particular church. Immediately, I got sad and angry at the same time.

2. 1 Tim. 2:11ff is explained away by a cultural relativism.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's called sarcasm. I don't think you know what that is since you answered it...

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

TC, you have women at your church? Are they allowed to sing? Talk?

16. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

The views of my church allow women to sing a special from time to time and give a testimony. Well, the testimonies that are coming out sound quite a bit like preaching. I think it would be best if they kept quiet.

17. Joe

Joe New Member

These are your replies to various Christians here which include rbell, bobryan, webdog and more. Bursting in with your guns a blazing eh? With just 14 posts in your belt, you start a thread which demeans women right off the bat. Every one of your replies in this thread is a put down to someone.

I smell a TROLL.

#17 Joe, Sep 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
  18. soninme

soninme New Member

whats a troll joe ........?

i didnt post this brother , rbell did -'Some folk are just clueless. They don't have a clue. They can't get a clue...They couldn't get a clue if they smeared themselves with clue musk and did the clue mating dance in a field full of clues during clue mating season......, please state the truth about who posted what my friend , i am only stating scripture with my op , its gods word that says it not mine , if i offended you i apologise , but as i say the word of god " cant mean what it doesnt mean " blessings to you my friend . :godisgood:

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But we are here addressing the teaching role, not singing and so on.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Some would like them to remain quite, only to sing and say the Amen, but I think we have to be careful.

2. In the context of 1 Tim 2, its an authoritative teaching role that is in view, unless the testimonies become modes of such teaching, then I really see no harm being done.

3. You're right though, testimonies can get out of hand.

#20 TCGreek, Sep 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007