1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

should women be teachers in the church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by soninme, Sep 24, 2007.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

My humorous signature line was here long before you were, soninme. And it will be here long after you are gone.

Someone responded with some good food for thought. Do you prohibit the women in your church from...

• Women preaching (not pastors but preaching)?
    • Women leading in prayer during worship service?
    • Women reading scripture during worship service?
    • Women serving as ushers during worship service?
    • Women as ministers of music?
    • Women as ministers of education?
    • Women operating the PowerPoint projector (arguably the most powerful person in the whole congregation)?
    • Women teaching Sunday School to children?
    • Women teaching Sunday School to other women?
    • Women teaching Sunday School to men?
    • Women leading a home Bible study attended by both women and men?
    • Women serving as non-ecclesial officers of the church--treasurer, moderator, trustee, etc?
    Some of these concern me; others do not. You responded with:

I simply said I thought you were carrying the idea further than Scripture did.

If youget to upset to carry on a mature discussion without name-calling, perhaps you aren't ready for a forum such as this.

Now...try and discuss this maturely without accusing established posters of having "childlike" posts and posts "without substance."

Just because folks disagree with you does not make them "childish." Try interacting with us instead of name-calling. And welcome to the BB.

2. soninme

soninme New Member

thanks rbell

maybe i was a little childish with my words , and i apologise to all i may have offended , i am new to this , so bare with me guys , sometimes i may say things that could be said in a more educated way , once again sorry if the things i have said have ofended any brother or sister .:jesus: my point was women teaching and pastoring men :godisgood:

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our churches, so-called PB's practice the teachings of NT strictly and prohibit any teaching of men by women.

However we do have the followings:
    - teaching the Sunday School children
    - Old ladies teaching young ladies
    - Ladies preaching to the unbelieving ladies in some churches.
    - Ladies Bible Study meeting.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...as do I :) Don't worry about it.

You'll find I can be very tongue in cheek (as you probably noticed)

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good points all. What about the following as well:
    • Women doing announcements?
    • Women singing solos, duets, etc.?
    • Women with husbands teaching a class?
    • Women greeting visitors?
    • Women serving as deacons (deaconesses)?
    • Women serving as children's director?

6. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

That passage about women not being allowed to speak in church has been interpreted in different ways through the centuries. For example, in the 1800s, only men sang in the choir because they believed women shouldn't sing in church. Nowadays, some churches believe that passage means women shouldn't teach a class with men in it or it means that women shouldn't be pastors. My church uses the latter interpretation. They believe teaching is not a position of authority, but being a pastor is.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry friends - the text says that we "do not permit them to speak" and that "we make them keep silent"... in fact "IF they would LEARN ANYTHING let them wait till they get home and ask their husbands".

1Cor 14
    God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
    34The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says.
    35If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

No exceptions.

Burkahs all!:laugh:

#27 BobRyan, Sep 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2007
  8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course I believe that is a blinders-on wooden interpretation of 1Cor 14 -- but I have seen people here try to use it that way only they usually select a slice of it "to believe " not willing themselves even to go for the whole thing.