1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

should women wear dresses/skirts all the time

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Barbara R., Nov 13, 2004.

1. Barbara R.

Barbara R. New Member

The church I am a member of believes women should wear dresses all day everyday. I have asked them several times to show me in cripture where this is found, they have yet given me a clear answer. I am confused on this topic, and would love to hear some of your opinions

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the question, No

The church will not be able to defend it's stance with scripture. It is a matter of individual choice not scriptural dictate. Legalism is an awful thing. The fact that they would make it an issue would send me searching for another church. Modesty does not equal a dress! What are they going to do, kick you out of church or make you wear a dress over your pants? How unfortunate

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Deuteronomy 22:5   
    The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

The people I fellowship with interpret this as saying, "A woman should not wear the clothes of a man and likewise a man should not wear a woman's garment." Many people will interpret is differently though. From classes that I have studied in, the difference between the garments were simply the division between the legs of the fabric. Meaning a man's garment was divided and the woman's was not. I'm sure many things are taught though and we will never really know till we get to Heaven what the Lord meant by all the Scriptures.

On a personal note: I'm 25 years old and have been saved since 2001. With conversion there was a conviction that I should wear what I thought would pleasing to the Lord. Skirts and dresses only!!! I do not wear anything form-fitting to purposefully attract the eye of another man and all my garments go to my ankles. With the wearing of pants, I feel that is showing the form of something that is only to be seen by my husband.

That is my opinion only. I do not force it on anyone, but I love to tell people how the Lord changed me and transformed me from a "junkie" into a god-fearing young woman. [​IMG]

Don't ever change how you are based on what "man" tells you. Always let the Lord change you from within.

4. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

What about kilts?

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I certainly wouldn't care to scrub my kitchen floor in a dress.
    Nor would I like to wait for a bus on a cold winter morning in a skirt, no matter how long.
    And I don't think it's a good idea to be cleaning the city streets with a long skirt, especially since other modest forms of clothing are perfectably acceptable.
    I think the scripture just means that a believer should not, in daily practice, try to be taken for the opposite gender by dressing that way.
    I do wear long skirts from time to time, but when the occaision calls for it.
    Just my opinion.

6. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Pants do not only pertain to men in our society. There's a woman's department and there's a men's department. I don't wear my wife's clothes and she doesn't wear mine. It's really pretty simple, but alot of old goats desire control in everything.

Modesty is the exhortation for the church.

7. FBCPastorsWife

Gershom, perhaps you did not read my whole post...particularly the part where I said, "That is my opinion only. I do not force it on anyone, but I love to tell people how the Lord changed me..."

8. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I did read your whole post.

9. FBCPastorsWife

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

No problem around my house. My wife is 5"4" and I am 6'3".

Would never work.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

For this very topic on this board I've researched clothing of that time period and this is not true. The only difference was that mens clothe were shorter. They all wore robes all were open. They only way this scripture you quoted can be interpeted that way is if someone reads into scripture what they want it to say. taking scripture as it is it does not say this. It is nothing more then legalism.

12. bonniej

bonniej Guest

Remember that back in Biblical days that men did not wear pants/trousers like they do in todays world. So it may not necessarily mean that women can't wear long pants. An attractive pants suit or long pants and nice ladies shirt is much better than some of these short, short skirts that we see some of the girls and even some of the old ladies wearing these days. I mayself see nothing wrong with wearing pants as long as they aren't so tight, you can't move in them and they are lady like and not manly looking. But I also see nothing wrong with this young lady wanting to wear dresses, if she feels that's what the Lord wants her to do. If I wear a dress, it's to my ankles or close to it as there are some things that don't need to be seen hence the reason why some of us ladies would rather wear long pants. I think it's what the Lord wants you to do that is important and not what anyone else thinks.

13. FBCPastorsWife

For this very topic on this board I've researched clothing of that time period and this is not true. The only difference was that mens clothe were shorter. They all wore robes all were open. They only way this scripture you quoted can be interpeted that way is if someone reads into scripture what they want it to say. taking scripture as it is it does not say this. It is nothing more then legalism. </font>[/QUOTE]It may not be true...I just know that is how I learned it. Like I said, we will never really know till we get to Heaven. I simply was stating my convictions in the rest of what I said...It seems like only one person has understood that so far though. Oh well.

14. Barbara R.

Barbara R. New Member

Thank you all for your opinions, hey help a lot. I have printed some of them off even for reference. I f ya'll have anything more to share, I would love to hear from you.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barb - there is NO scripture demanding dresses or slacks or robes. Modern legalistic preachers, upset with Rosie the Riveter wearing overalls and working like a man, made it an issue in the years following WWII.

This, sadly, was brought north into our churches as were many other legalistic "standards" of the South. Mixed swimming is another belief.

Deut 22:5 does not talk about slacks/pants, etc. Read it. Someone is pushing their cultural baggage and demanding that "good christians" follow their practice.

This is legalism at its worst. If someone wants to follow that, let them. But if they make you feel unspiritual or less than holy because you don't conform, RUN. They have crossed the line.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I grew up on a farm. Imagine my grandmother, mother and sister shoveling manure in a dress on a cold windy day.

Lots of heresies come from those who do not study and know the truth.

The truth is that the dress during biblical times according to their custom was a robe and the women were covered much like we saw under the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The next time you hear your preacher say that ask him if that means you should wear a burka and he a robe or cloak too?

17. FBCPastorsWife

I agree with you Dr. Bob. I'm starting to think my post was unclear on this. I guess when I started off with the verse from Deut. people automatically thought that I was personally using this verse to justify the skirt/dress issue with women.

To everyone else on here:
    I do believe it is personal conviction that should take place before a woman takes on the standard of only wearing dresses and skirts. That is "my" conviction and I don't intend to force it on anyone. My husband makes it clear when he preaches too that anyone who walks in the doors of our church is welcome regardless of how they are dressed. We know that if a person changes, it will need to be because of Jesus and not because of anything that is forced on them.

I know I have already received a lot of flack on here because of what I was taught about the difference between the men's and women's garments in biblical times. I can't help that though. Please don't say I'm lying simply because I don't agree with a certain "truth" that you might believe. It's simply what "I" was taught.

Please forgive me if I have offended anyone...it was not my intentions. [​IMG]

18. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am not sure what the sanctification is in wearing dresses all the time.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one has mentioned the wearing of mixed fabrics:

Deuteronomy 22
    5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

. . .

9 Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds: lest the fruit of thy seed which thou hast sown, and the fruit of thy vineyard, be defiled.
    10 Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an ass together.
    11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Better warn the congregation [​IMG]

HankD

20. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I too, was raised on a farm. That's why I love to see a woman in a dress; but I realize that sometimes that is impractical. I do know some women who I've never seen in a dress. Just my opinion.