1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Show me what you think are the best looking websites

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by annsni, Apr 11, 2007.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We're going to be revamping our church website (www.nbc.org) and DH will be using Drupal - but we're not agreeing on the look. He likes the whiter sites and I like the sites with more color. Could you give examples (doesn't need to be just church websites) of what you think are great looking websites? Thanks!!

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't have any sites to suggest, but white to sharp is always best to draw. Remember you have 50% or so of surfers are still on dialup so keep it simple or if you go high tech offer a simple way around it or skip intro button.

Color is okay in my mind, but make it low key, bright shocking colors are the pits for an old person's eyes.

I tend to not like watermarks unless they are really light - makes it harder to read.

If you have a lot of stuff, have a site map link.

Don't have a bunch of under construction pages.

If you have a link to meet our staff, make it a link to your staff's info and pics if available. Clicked on a meet our staff button the other day and was told to come to church to meet the staff! How dumb does it get.

Just looked at your site and it is quite sharp. Not sure I'd change it :) but am sure you will improve. I tend to leave something that works alone but then some call that lazy :)

#2 exscentric, Apr 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  3. mnw

mnw New Member

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks exscentric for the comments - they help a lot. Our website is 4 years old and really needs an updated look (those flash pictures going through are actually almost 2 years old!! It was the groundbreaking of our new addition and we should be in there within the next few months. LOL!! I have a lot of ideas for the new site but just can't really use the program that we're using to do it - I want more flexibility but don't have it now.

MNW - Thanks for your comments too - I looked at the sites and will pass them on to DH too. We had actually been using Joomla to do some sample sites and they have a TON of templates - lots that we liked - but DH is a professional software engineer (before 25 years in the industry before he became a pastor and he still has a couple of clients he supports here and there), and he likes some of the things with Drupal more. He's able to do more things with it - and he's just really liking it. For someone like him, a program that's more work but has more potential is fine because that's what he's done for a living. The extra work is easy for him, ya know?

If anyone else has any input, PLEASE post it!! I'd love to get a ton of websites to look at that DH and I can critique and figure out what we like and what we don't. :D I'm hoping that we can get the new site up in the next month or two - it's a lot of work but should be great. The only issue we have is what calender to use - the one we have now stinks and we'd love one that looks good and is easy to use.

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    annsni - I built and maintain our church's web site. It's basic, really. Most of our people have slow dialup so I took that into consideration. The gentlemen above have given great advice. Good luck!

#5 PJ, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  6. kubel

kubel New Member

I like basic! There's power in simplicity. Just look at how successful Google is! As long as one is consistent- even the most basic site can look very very professional.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I like simple too.

I've got two sites that I manage

http://cbdscougars.com -- this one is colorful (school colors). I did not do the athletic site if you move around enough to go there. I had a flash picture file on this one, but it is very hard to keep the pictures updated I found. I don't know why it's so hard, but I just keep forgetting about them I guess.

http://bitsygriffin.org -- this one is white, with burgandy and B&W pix. I purposefully chose those colors for the crispness and contrast.

http://algebra.bitsygriffin.org - this one is the base for my class website, and I kept the color scheme from my home site.

One thing I think makes for a very sharp site is to keep the first page like a front page. Keep it like the title page of a book. Don't try to put too much info on that page. That's a big draw for me.

8. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member