1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shroud Could Date to Time of Jesus

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Jan 29, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Don, we don't save anybody. Only Jesus saves.

2. mioque

mioque New Member

Ben
    "There is no veneration in Christianity of objects or dead saints."
    "
    Actually in many denominations it is rather common to do so.

Soulman
    ".Although we know where Noah's ark is, we can't get to it."
    "
    Trust me we don't, for over a century, charlatans have claimed the ark was only one expedition away. And they never ever find it.

"The Ark of the Covenant is thought to be in a pagan temple in Ethiopia. Can't get to it. "
    "
    I appreciate the fact that you are probably not all that impressed with the Christian denomination of Ethiopia (the Ethiopian-Orthodox Church), but they are the supposed owners of the Ark of the Covenant (I doubt the veracity of their claim) and the shrine where they keep it is a proper Christian church and not a pagan temple.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I did a research paper many, many years ago about the Shroud. Based on the research that I found, I don't believe it to be a fake. FWIW, my theory on the image is that it became imprinted on the cloth at the very moment that Jesus came back to life.

4. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

Diane, you know exactly what was ment by that message. Dont pick at things to get a reaction.

5. The carbon-14 dates are the most objective evidence of the age of the shroud. Twelve cloth samples were taken for analysis and they all give the same date within a small range of uncertainty.

Also, the shroud first made its appearance at a time which is approximately the same as the C-14 dates. It also made its appearance at a time when Europe was flowing over with similar fakes related to the death of Christ. There were many wood chips from the "True Cross" for instance. The shroud itself was denounced as a fake a few years after it first appeared.

6. "Although we know where Noah's ark is, we can't get to it."

Tell me- I don't know where the Ark is and I don't believe anyone else knows either.

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Whether or not the shroud is really the burial shroud of Jesus is irrelevant to the question of the resurrection of Jesus and proves absolutely nothing either way. I believe in the resurrection of Jesus because I have personally experienced the resurrected Christ in my own life, and I have personally observed the change in the lives of men, women and children when the resurrection of Jesus Christ became a reality in their lives.

Some years ago, as the pastor of a church, I became acquainted with a cold-blooded killer who showed absolutely no concern whatsoever for human life. This man came to visit me at the church on several occasions and I and others in the church shared the gospel with him. Over a period of a few months I witnessed this man become fearful of hell but he showed absolutely no remorse for his actions. And then one Saturday morning when I was very busy and about to leave on a retreat, a stranger came to the church and insisted that he needed to see me. With some reluctance I allowed him to be brought into my office, had him sit in the chair opposite my desk, and asked him what I could do for him. This young stranger began to speak and I recognized the voice but I did not recognize the face. But as he continued to speak, I realized that this man sitting across from me was the cold-blooded killer that we had been witnessing to and praying for—but no, it was not him—it was a new man in Christ Jesus, and I sat there in my chair in amazement at how the resurrected Christ had transformed this man so radically that he had such a new countenance that I did not even recognize his face. All of the brutal hardness was gone, totally gone, and totally replaced with the love, joy and peace of Jesus Christ, and he shared with me that he had come to tell me that he had been saved.

[​IMG]

[ February 02, 2005, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Craigbythesea ]

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw a book (although I can't remember the name right now) at barns and noble bookstore a while back that claimed the shroud was actually a burial cloth for a leader of the knights templar that was crucified in the middle ages.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I saw a documentary that showed how da Vinci had the technology and tools to do this and that it was a "photograph" of him.

Pretty convincing they duplicated it by using materials that da Vinci had.