1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shula out at Bama, Dantonio in at Mich St.

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Nov 27, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Shula fired at Alabama.

Former Cincinatti Coach Dantonio is the new Coach at Michigan State.

Thoughts?

2. Paladin

Paladin New Member

The Bammers will never be satisified ... they live in the past (newsflash ... Bryant died in 1983) ... talk in Tuscaloosa is that Steve Superior could be the next coach ... Tuscaloosa is not big enough to handle his ego and he would be butting heads continually with all the dinosaurs that run the Bama program ... Auburn now rules football in Alabama and the bammers need to make the adjustment ... Gotta figure Bama will be looking for the next hire by 2010 ... gotta love it ... that dsyfunctional Bama Football Nation ...

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Paladin, don't hold back now, tell us how you really feel! :laugh:

I think you forgot to add War Eagle to your post. :smilewinkgrin:

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True.

The stinking thing about this is that Shula didn't have a full hand to play with. He's probably as good as they can get... reminds me of the anti-Fulmer crowd. All Fulmer's done is win more than any active coach in a state that does not routinely produce bunches of great high school prospects... and there are people who want him gone. Apparently, the inmates truly rule the asylum at Bama.

Since Bama's impatience has worked so well for them... maybe they should just keep it up. It isn't like Alabama is Florida, Georgia, Texas, or California in HS talent depth. To be successful at the level they expect, they will have to raid other states for talent plus get a better share of the home grown. Changing coaches every time the wind blows won't provide the stability those out of state prospects are looking for.... and Auburn will continue to beat them in-state along with occasional raids by UT.

On a selfishly positive note, I'd have to think that one of the LSU asst's if not both will be considered for this job... hastening Miles descent.

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

You lose to Auburn 4 years in a row...you can only survive for so long in Tuscaloosa. I'm actually shocked he lasted this long, they've wanted his head since day one.
    I don't think the Bammers will be happy until Bear is dug up, cloned and the "New" Bear is on the side lines.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alabama has fired head coach Mike Shula. The Tide is desperate to land a big-name coach. Steve Spurrier, Frank Beamer and numerous others have been contacted. Rumor has it Houston Nutt was ready to accept the job, but AD Mal Moore was not ready to pull the trigger.

- http://footballrumormill.com/Scoop.htm

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I think it is rumor, Nutt and UA are denying it...but then again, it's college football, who knows what to expect.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This is when I get frustrated by being a Bama fan. There is an expectation that a coach must come in and win immediately. As long as this kind of nonsense keeps up Bama will never be a real winner again.

I'm disgusted.

9. rmp1978

rmp1978 New Member

And this is a bad thing why?

Go Vols

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It might be a good thing ;).

Bama football is the only American sport I still follow after all these years, maybe I can drop that now as well ;).

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Shula had been there four years. Over this four year period, Shula's record was basically .500 --- 26-23, with only two winning seasons. Compared to cross-state Auburn, with only ten losses total over the past four seasons, you can see how much Alabama has slipped. You don't have to win immediately, but you do have to win. Given their rich tradition & facilities though, I fully expect them to get a top-notch head coach and get back on track.

I think Miami is another story. Miami also fired their coach -- who had been there six years with a record of 59-15 (including a national championship). I think it will be much more difficult for them to fill their opening. Coker did go out with a lot of class though -- even agreeing to coaching their minor bowl appearance.

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Bama fans don't recall the pre Bear years. What was the record Bart Star's last year?
    Are they over their probation yet?
    I don't think they have been happy with any coach after the Bear. Has UK really been happy with any round ball coach after the man in the brown suit?
    But life goes on.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting you should mention UK. If I were hunting a new HC, theirs is the first call I'd make.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Scott, are you saying you'd like to hire Rich Brooks? Interestingly enough, our own David Cutcliffe is being mentioned as a candidate for the Bama job and for the N.C. State job vacated by Chuck Amato's firing. I agree that Jimbo Fisher or the other coordinator at LSU may be a candidate. Maybe Nutt will jump to Bama since he says he doesn't want Miami (I tend to think they don't want him since Nutt's been interested in almost anyone that would give him a look).

Having lived in Cincinnati, I can appreciate what D'Antonio did at UC. I hope UC gets a good one to replace him. I expect D'Antonio to have his work cut out for him at Michigan State.

Speaking of programs that are second fiddle in their state: Spurrier for Bama? No way. Not in a million years. Why leave a school where 8 wins a year will get you by? He left Florida because winning was a relief and losing was a crucifixion. That would be ten-fold in Tuscaloosa.

I hate this for Bama. I know, I'm a UT man. Bama will always be our top rival. I hate the Tide ,but I respect them. They deserve better than the pack of old curmudgeons who are running the program. Bill Curry argues that there is a small cadre who run that school and that the trustees, AD, and president are all puppets. (What do you mean you know some Baptist churches like that) :smilewinkgrin:

Bama went outside the "family" twice and they got "burned" despite Fran's success before bolting to A&M. Do they stay in the family? Do they run the "risk" of hiring an outsider? I can't help but think they want an offensive guru, and that makes me nervous about losing Cutcliffe. But does a man with a risky ticker go to Tuscaloosa and have bricks thrown through his window? Would Bobby Petrino leave Louisville for Bama? Would they want him? Would Jeff Tedford leave Cal for Bama? Would the want him?

I honestly thought Shula would get one more year and believe he would have if not for Sylvester Croom and his Bulldogs dancing on Bama soil.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Alabama trying to lure Sylvestor Croom, by chance? He is a Bryant 'disciple,' which is what they seem to look for, and could be an excellent recruiter in SEC country with a school with a greater football tradition than MSU.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I can't see that happening. Croom was turned down once and hasn't set the woods on fire in Starkville.

The list of coaches "not interested" in the Bama job is growing. According to ESPN, Spurrier, Petrino, West Virginia's Rodriguez, Dolphin coach Nick Saban, and South Florida's Leavitt have all said "not interested."

So, is Bama's attempt to lure a big name coach dead in the water? Are they going to have to go after an asst at a big-time program?

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I am very impressed with anyone who can make UK respectable in football.
    I don't really think either is a great situation for him though State probably a little better than Bama due to lower expectations.

However, I don't think that if I were hiring for Bama I'd go after Cut. His weaknesses are apparently politics and recruiting... That wouldn't bode well in Tuscaloosa. Bama is no longer the place where every kid wants to go play football. Their recruiting is alot more laborious now than 25 years ago.
    They are my favorites because both should want to avoid the roof collapse in BR and because they are both capable, SEC knowledgeable coaches that can recruit.
    I would say he has a little more reason to be loyal to Arkansas than he had before they gave him this season... but I wouldn't trust the Big Pigs.

Having lived in Cincinnati, I can appreciate what D'Antonio did at UC. I hope UC gets a good one to replace him. I expect D'Antonio to have his work cut out for him at Michigan State.

Part of me feels that way and part of me wonders what an OC Trooper Taylor would do to recruiting. He seems to have the discipline that Sanders lacked with more excitement and intensity than Cut or Fulmer. If something like this doesn't happen, I'd say he's on the short list for schools looking for an up and coming OC. That would be devastating to UT recruiting.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I saw where UT picked up a big time recruit out of Ok City last night. They will have a successful class if they can get 2 or 3 of these 4 remaining big targets- Marvin Austin DC (DL), Berry GA (DB/Ath), Harrison Smith TN (Ath), Donald TN (LB).

19. gaultzilla

gaultzilla New Member

They've should have given Price a chance. Look at the job he's done at UTEP
    with 2nd rate talent.

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A high profile program like Bama that had already had NCAA infractions could not afford the scandal.

Price is an excellent football coach but his leadership and moral credibility are very much in question.

When his QB is done... we'll probably watch him fade.