1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shunning

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Delly, I was really saddened to read of your story, I cant begin to imagine what going through all of that must have been like for you.

May God restore you and bring to you the desires of your heart. May He use you powerfully to overcome the evil one that holds so many people in bondage. I am glad that you are in a great church where you have found acceptance, I am thinking that there are many people that could do with a friend like you.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you serious? Somehow thinking shunning is ridiculous is the same as accepting and approving sin, just how do you make that leap? It is unfortunate that you seem to prefer the hit and run tactic of hammering with the truth forgetting the love and thinking your responsibility is complete. I don't care if he is "living" in sin (like any of us aren't) I would not/ will not shun it isn't consistent with the teachings of Jesus. He held is contempt for the religious folks (like you and me) not the common sinner!

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Jesus said "if YOUR hand". He did not say "if someone else's hand".

4. delly

delly New Member

Ben, I really appreciate your very kind words. We had some very hard times during those years and I didn't hold up well for about half of them. I'm ashamed to say I even tried to commit suicide once. When I finally turned everything over to God things didn't get better but I began to handle it all better and prayed harder than ever in my life. I knew that somehow God was going to deliver me from this hell I was in. Nothing slowed this man down; not by-pass surgery, not a mild stroke, not diabeties. God gave him every opportunity to change, but he would not. It finally just had to stop when he threatened our 19 year old son with jail for standing up to him and trying to help me. Somehow that gave me the courage to walk out. I told him I was leaving either upright or flat on my back on a stretcher. The choice was up to him. He really thought we would come back in a day or two, but when we didn't, he did everything he could to intimidate us. We just finally had to move away.

I thank God for leading me to the church I'm in now. For the first time in my life, I have made some very close friends and I spend lots of time with my family; something I was not allowed to do when I was married.

5. Link

Link New Member

Are you serious? Somehow thinking shunning is ridiculous is the same as accepting and approving sin, just how do you make that leap? It is unfortunate that you seem to prefer the hit and run tactic of hammering with the truth forgetting the love and thinking your responsibility is complete. I don't care if he is "living" in sin (like any of us aren't) I would not/ will not shun it isn't consistent with the teachings of Jesus. He held is contempt for the religious folks (like you and me) not the common sinner! </font>[/QUOTE]Read I Corinthians 5, and II Corinthians 2 while you are at it, and tell me how you think what the early church was supposed to do was different from what you consider 'shunning' to be. Paul told the Corinthians not to fellowship with one who called himself a brother who was a fornicator, idolater, swindler, etc, not even to eat with him. How is that not shunning?

Btw, to see shunning in scripture look at Matthew 18. Shunning is not for sinners who don't profess Christ. It's for those who call themselves brothers but live in sin.