1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sigh... The same old Lions.

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Apr 25, 2009.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The new just came out that the Lions are going to take Matthew Stafford as he number one pick in the draft and will give him a contract for 6 years at 78 million with 41.7 million guaranteed. That is the highest amount of guaranteed money to any player in NFL history- rookie or veteran.

Stupid. Just plain stupid. Until this team gets another owner, they will continue to be the synonym of incompetence.:BangHead:

Oh that Mike Ilitch would buy the Lions.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Unfortunately, it's the reality of the NFL. The NFL needed to implement a rookie wage scale long ago, ala the NBA. The Liedowns ownership isn't exactly the model of competence, but I don't see how Ilitch could have done any better. They could have signed Curry for less money, sure, but it's still an enormous amount of money for a guy who hasn't done anything in the league.

I'm not sure any other owner in their position could have done any better.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't understand all the love thrown Matthew Stafford's way. He was a good QB at GA, but not a world beater. I don't remember anyone prepping for GA thinking "How do we stop Matthew Stafford" but rather "How do we contain Moreno" or "The WR Corps" or "how do we wear down the DEF."

I don't understand something else. My Bengals have been in the news for their off-field news. So their first pick? Alabama's Andre Smith, who was suspended numerous times, had off-field issues at Bama, had irked scouts at the combine, and if not for an intervention by Nick Satan, would've dropped into the lower first round. Mike Brown needs to get "Football General Management for Dummies" - the Basic English Edition.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Detroit Lions are the pinnacle of ineptitude.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What...did you want a WR? ;)

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Here's your first round pick, Tom! Can't imagine why you would question that pick from the Bengals "brain trust". :laugh: Glad he's on your team! :thumbs:

I didn't waste much time watching the draft, but I did see that one draft day tradition didn't happen this year. When the Jets traded for Mark Sanchez, their fans actually cheered. What kind of world do we live in when Jets fans cheer for their first round pick? I want to go back to the way it used to be, where Jets fans booed lustily when their first round pick was announced. It was just surreal to hear cheering from Jets fans.

BTW, to those who ripped the Bears for paying so much for Cutler, I certainly hope you're going to rip the Jets for paying so much for a rookie QB. At least the Bears know what kind of QB they're getting.

#6 ccrobinson, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The Lions had the 20th pick of the first round. I thought for sure they would get a defensive stud, but I should have known- they go for offense again and pick a TE.

I am now seriously thinking of looking for a new team of which to be a fan. Any suggestions?

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Well, when you're 0-16 and you have the chance to get the best TE of the draft *snicker*, you have to do it.

I'm sure he was the best TE *giggle* on the board.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Drafting a Bammer? That's a slap in the face. Drafting a Bammer with a bad rep....wait, that's redundant. I'm now open to the over/under on his first arrest and total number of years in the league. That picture was actually of him running away from the combine wasn't it? No no...that was him running from remedial fingerclipping in Tuscaloosa.....no no no....that was him running from the Lions' scouts. His best time to date.

I actually saw a couple of Jets fans visibly booing this pick. ESPN was fixated with them. But I hear you - this should have been roundly criticized by the legions of chanting fans. Rather bipolar sort. They seem so enthusiastic, only to scream in disguist when the Commish reads that they've drafted my mother.

You couldn't be more right about the Bears vs. Jets. What, does the ownership of the Jets have a secret deal to stockpile the Browns for Mangini? Is this the new KC Royals-NY Yankees of the 50s and 60s setup?

4His...you could root for the Titans. They had their usual bland draft. Although, they did take a decent WR in the 1st round, though Robieskie was the guy purported to be their top wideout on the board.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Good point, Tom. Maybe that's why he acted so flaky leaving the combine early. He didn't want to leave any chance of being drafted by the Liedowns.

I'm not so sure about this. I regularly read a column written by a former GM of a team (said team went to the Super Bowl while he was GM there) and he has said more than once, "... you can't overpay for a great QB." There's only been 1 team in the last 10 years or more who won the Super Bowl with an average QB and that team played a rather pedestrian Giants team to win that Super Bowl. If I was a Jets fan, I'd shoot myself... I mean, I would be on-board with the trade and pick, because the Jets weren't winning a Super Bowl with Kellen Clemens.

They were pretty good last season. Shouldn't have lost that playoff game to the Ravens. The guy I mentioned above said that he thought the Titans were the best team in the league, even after they lost the playoff game.

Robieskie was also a guy the Bears were targeting with their 2nd round pick. Once the Titans took him, the Bears didn't like anybody else they could have taken in the 2nd and traded their 2nd for a 3rd and 4th. I have to say that Angelo is really impressing me with these moves. He got the Bears to a Super Bowl and now he's making some great moves that could get them there again.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Robieskie went to the Browns.

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Dumb pick for the Lions. They need to focus on OL and DL first.

At least Detroit has the Wings.

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Detroit also has the Pistons and... oh, right, they just got bounced by the 2009 NBA Champions.

Well, at least they have the Dead Things.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for just jinxing my team... :)

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I was being sarcastic. Typically, the Jets would lampoon the draft choices of Franco Harris and Jim Thorpe.