1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

simony

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by soninme, Oct 3, 2007.

1. soninme

soninme New Member

are some of the churches of today , guilty of simony .

Simony is the ecclesiastical crime of paying for offices or positions in the hierarchy of a church, named after Simon Magus, who appears in the Acts of the Apostles 8:18-24. Simon Magus offers the disciples of Jesus, Peter and John, payment so that anyone he would place his hands on would receive the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the origin of the term simony[1] but it also extends to other forms of trafficking for money in "spiritual things".

i will name no person in this post , but there are many high flying evangelists with large ministries today , who i believe are guilty of this , they are forever selling there wares on tv and radio , and telling us we will be blessed or healed if we buy them .this verse comes to mind when i hear them do this , acts 3 : 4-6 And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, “Look at us.” So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk. The gifts of the spirit are not for sale , but sadly this seems the norm in many places now .

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey,

The concept of simony is new to me, but I don't see the connection. I do, however, see how some in the Name of Jesus are making merchandise of the people of God. I am not sure they are selling the power of God so others may have the power to do it also. Simon Magus offered money to the Apostles so they would give him the power to heal others as they were. What TV evangelists, et. seem to be doing something different.

Just some thoughts.

RB

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I had heard of simony, but like you, I don't believe it describes making money out of religion, because the error os Simon Magus was thinking he could pay money and purchase spiritual gifts. Acts 8.
    18 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money,19 saying, "Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit."20 But Peter said to him, "Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money!21 "You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God.

Of course I am not saying that the TV evangelists are right, just that they are not doing what Simon Magus did.

4. soninme

soninme New Member

thanks for your views guys , but these tv evangelists are always saying , buy this and be blessed , by this hanky that we have blessed and be healed ,.

simony (sĭm'ənē) , in canon law, buying or selling of any spiritual benefit or office. The name is derived from Simon Magus, who tried to buy the gifts of the Holy Spirit from St. Peter (Acts 8). Simony is a very grave sin, and ecclesiastics who commit it may be excommunicated. The temporal price may be one of many kinds, e.g., money or high office. What is sold may be the performance of a sacrament or any other spiritual service; it is also simony to sell a benefice or endowment or other temporality to which anything spiritual is attached:jesus:

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

As a Catholic and thereby on occasion wanting to buy things such as rosary beads etc....one is supposed to buy these things unblessed which is a little rite conducted by a priest ....it is regarded as an act of simony if I was selling these beads blessed all ready and using the fact to aid and inflate the purchase price. I would be able to give them away as an act of charity..

6. ReformedBaptist

Well, that's not what Simon Magnus did. However, selling the free gift of the Gospel is wrong, not matter how its done or who is buying.

7. ReformedBaptist

Dear Lord it never ends.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I was just about to ask what things such as "canon law", "ecclesiastics", "high office", "benefices" or "endowments" (in the sense used here) have to do with baptists, but I remembered just in time that this is the "Other Christian Denominations" forum. :)

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

....err wot ...as in the venality of humans....sad but true