1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Simple Concerning Evil"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PrimePower7, Sep 28, 2007.

1. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

I am to preach to about 200 teenagers in about a month. I have determined to stress the phrase listed above out of the latter part of Romans. Do any of you have any thoughts concerning this verse?

In particular, can you think of any Bible illustrations of people who could've and should've stayed "simple concerning evil"?

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Just a couple of quick thoughs. "Simple concerning evil" means to not mix or mingle with evil. So you might start at Gods first warning to man about mixing with evil in Genesis when He commanded not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. By not listening to God, that was where all mans trouble started, and evil, just as it was then is still evil now, there are consequences when we do not listen to Gods warning about mixing with it. Then you could pick some other people in the bible throughout time that mixed with evil and had to suffer the consequences of that.

3. Hawaiiski

Hawaiiski New Member

A few come to mind: Lot, Solomon, Samson, David. Since teens' friends are so important to them, I think II. Sam. 13 is a good illustration of how Amnon was influenced by his friend Jonadab to do wrong. You could also show how Pilate was swayed by the crowd into making the wrong decision when his conscience knew better. You could contrast this w/ Joseph or Daniel who stood firm during temptation. Hope this helps.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

One very important thing you will need to explain is that "simple" there does not mean "easy" (as in "The teacher thought he had outwitted me with the algebra problem, but I found it simple to do.") Nor does it mean "intellectually weak" (as in "He never learned to read properly, as he was rather simple.") As I understand it, the word in Romans 16.19 means "harmless", and indeed is translated that way in the two other places where it occurs:

Mt 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless <185> as doves.

Php 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless <185>, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

Am I correct in assuming, because Romans 16.19 is addressed to believers, that the 200 are Christians?

5. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Sorry, been gone for awhile

Yes, sir, you are correct. These were born again people (professed). I ended up not preaching on that passage at all, but rather spoke on "the heart".

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Samson...his gradual ignoring of his Nazirite vows...

his "shortcut" through the vineyards...
    his touching of the lion's carcass...

7. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Little Foxes

It's always those that spoil the vine. Samson was little more than a nuisance to the Philistines.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is also a false philosophy of man that we must learn about false religions to be able to witness to others. Learning the truth alone and being grounded in it is sufficient to have the ability to recognize a lie and to be an effective witness. Studying a lie only serves to tear down ones faith as was Paul's concern in Romans 16.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this verse sums up the concept; notice the progression.

This is precisely why our country is in the moral morass we are in today - a progressive embracing of liberal ideas that are increasingly contrary to His Word.

Or to quote the serpent, "Hath God REALLY said---?"

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, but keep in mind that Paul used Greek Philosophy to witness to the Athenians.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why?

Solomon is probably your best bet. Or the Author of Ecclesiates.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No he used the gospel.

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He used the gospel as well but don't imagine for a minute he was ignorant of Greek Philosophy. And an early church father Ireaneus in Against Heresies is very familiar with gnostisism. He argued quite well against it. Look, there are people who are easily ensnared by false doctrine and religion. However, a good antidote is be familiar with scripture. The problem is when scripture takes a back seat to the other religion. But that doesn't mean we can't become familiar with it. A military tactic is to know your enemy. I've read the Qu'ran, Bagvad Gita, Bits of the Talmud and a slew of other things. Has that reduced my relationship with Jesus? No. I just happen to know the bible better than these. I don't go to their churches or worship with them or partake in their cerimony. But I understand them.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did not set out a an apostle to study greek philosophy. He was a well learned man before his conversion. And yet he said:

1Co 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
    1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
    1Co 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
    1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
    1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God

We live in a day and age when the church is accused of failing in evangelism because it doesn't go far enough in mans philosophy and culture. The truth is we have gone to far in it all and that is why the church is failing. We no longer wait in weakness and fear on a true demonstration of the Spirit and Power of God.

#14 Revmitchell, May 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2008