1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Simple Teaching

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Walls, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

Why is it that so many pastors neglect simple teaching on Christian living?

These pastors come up with an awe driven sermon about the character of God and how wonderful it is to be a child of God, but they never instruct the flock on how to live as a child of God.

Any one have a clue as to why this is?

2. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Walls,

It puzzles me, too. I love my Pastor so much, but I sometimes I get theoretical generalities from his sermons rather than answers to tough questions like:

1. Is it ever okay to criticize?
    2. Should we always obey the government?
    3. How do we practice patience?

These represent some of the "nicer" questions that surface about Christian living from many people.

I'm curious to see what the BB Pastors will say.

J5Grand [​IMG]

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The more I preach on "awe" of a holy God, the less I have to preach on the legalistic "do this" and "don't to that" simplistic teaching that only the diaper-clad need.

Move ON from the milk. Spirituality is NOT a 1-2-3 grocery list of what to do. Man, I grew up in that legalism. It makes slaves and pharisees. Preach the holiness of God and sinfulness of man, and the Spirit may (we pray) grant repentance and faith.

Just my experience.

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

Because although right practice is important, right practice that doesn't come out of a love for God is simply filthy rags. And nothing produces a love for God more than studying His character, and understanding how far He had to condescend to save us. Anyone who REALLY understands how wonderful it is to be a child of God will want to be obedient to Him, and they will want to be obedient for right motives--out of awe and love for Him. The most important thing of all is to know who God is, that we should worship Him; what has He done, that we should love Him.

5. Walls

Walls New Member

I agree, service for the Lord needs to come from the heart and it is only through great appreciation for all that He has done that we can serve.

My question is more along the lines of a church that struggles continually. Will God's character pull them through year after year, or is it a matter of simply teaching the people their duties to God, church and Christian living?

Although once, I heard an evanglist say to a pastor quit chasing the goats and tend to the sheep!

6. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Much could be to the pastor's discernment of the spiritual condition of his flock, but I'm afraid many preachers try to maintain a "shock and awe" approach to keep the attraction to his charisma and ability and neglects their real need.

When we "arrive" to a state of maturity it is easy to look at others and remark,"They're just babes and need to desire strong meat". The pastor is for the nurturing of the sheep, shearing at times, and to provoke unto good works, not elevate himself upon a "pedestal" of observation and prominance above their flock boastful in his ability to perform.

Whenever I detect the spirit of a performer, I immediately turn the channel to the inner self station and listen while watching the news. [​IMG]

7. Walls

Walls New Member

Amen QS! That is what I was referring too. I am glad someone understood. I don't always get across what I am trying to say.