1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sin and Salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Lacy Evans, Feb 20, 2007.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

For all we know Bob, it is forgetting to give thanks before eating. Tell a lie while eating too much (being gluttonous) and suffer a heart attack at the same time (leaving no room for repentance or confession of sin), and you will find yourself in hell. That is your theology. Am I correct?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Now it seems that you have decided that about any sin can be the one "straw that breaks the camel's back", for any "living after the flesh" would surely be sin, whether one is 'open' about it or no. I'm confused on what you actually believe, and think others may be as well. Is it grace, or is it works. They do not and cannot co-exist in salvation, for they are diametrically opposed to one another. (Rom. 11:6)

I gotta' get to bed, for I'm gonna' cook an early breakfast for my wife and sister-in-law who is leaving early in the AM!

Ed

#122 EdSutton, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  3. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

See the other thread I started on the subject.:laugh:

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Heh! Heh!

Nite!

Ed

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No, you seem imcapable of understand my theology. I have told you before, I tell you again. If we sin, we have an advocate with God. His name is Jesus.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have no doubt you understand Ed; You are not able with scriptures to prove my theology wrong so you stoop to "I going to take my ball and go home" theory.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

This seems to answer your other thread very well.:laugh:

HBSMN: hope you don't mind my posting this, I think its necessary.

There are only two verses in the Word of God that speak of a 'sin unto death'.

Quote:
    Romans 6:16 (KJV) Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

The contrast in this verse does not point to life and death, but righteousness and death. I do not believe this is speaking of a physical death. Paul contrasted sin unto death with obedience unto righteousness. The sin unto death must be disobedience, for obedience is the contrasting view here. The Greek word for death here is 'Thanatos'. It can be viewed either literally or figuratively. The Word 'sin' here is the Greek word 'hamartia' which means sin or offense.

1 John 5:16 (KJV) If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
    Here, 'Thanatos' is used again. Figurative? Literal? Sin, in this verse is not the same as in Romans 6, it is the Greek word 'hamartano'. There are more meanings for this word here. Its meanings are '(as a negative particle) properly, to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize), i.e. (figuratively) to err, especially (morally) to sin:--for your faults, offend, sin, trespass'.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, I believe you were the one who "took his ball and went home", i.e. to bed, before I did, last evening. :rolleyes:

And on this subject, as you put it, your personal version of "my theology" has proved that you somehow have the ability to define or at least recognize what is "a sin unto death", when Scripture never says what it is, rather only that there is such a thing.

Where did you come up with this great insight that Scripture does not list, and no one else seems to be able to? Or can you be honest in this, and admit it happens to be your own "private interpretation" and not which one or ones Scripture says?

Ed

P.S. My sister-in-law is on the way back to Baltimore, and I'm Ba-a-a-a-ck!! :laugh: :laugh:

#128 EdSutton, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Seems to me everyone had taken a crack at it. They are now saying "physical death".

All unrepentant sins are sins unto death.

Jhn 8:21¶Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come.

If they can't go to be with the Lord, guess where they are going Ed.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Sigh!!" Finally!! (I just 'repented' in the OT meaning, BTW!)

Some definition or at least allusion from Scripture about what is the or at least a "sin unto death"!
    So I guess whenever the Lord gets "fed up enough" with any of us in our disobedience, he just, at His timing and choice, just "lowers the boom", so to speak. Since any disobedience is sin, there is no absolute standard from Scripture about what disobedience constitutes "enough". And about anything or any sin could cause God to say "enough", whether it is my "pet sin" of adding to Scripture (BTW, the first sin recorded in Scripture committed by a human, and one that predates "adultery"), Brother Bob's of "adultery", DHK's of "pride" and/or "coveteousness" [the first chronological sins, BTW ("I will be like the most high!")], or 'Sister 'Sally's' major transgression of "gossip", or whatever!

News Bulletin!!

Hijack Alert!!

[​IMG]

That would be spoken like the true Calvinist that you are!

'Er I mean Arminian!

Once again showing what I've been preaching for a year on the BB! In the final analysis, there is no difference in the systems. Both systems, as a friend of mine said, "Thye are very good systems! There's only two things wrong with them - They blaspheme God and they de-humanize man. Outside of that, they are great systems!"

Don't you get it? (I'm not surprised, for most don't!)

Both systems insist on claiming for themselves the job reserved solely and exclusively for the angels at the end of the age- that of separating the wheat from the tares. Jesus would not even let the Apostles do it, by inference.
    Did you notice that Jesus did not let his servants peform the task of separating, at the time, lest they uproot the wheat with the tares?

Yet today we have so many who care not one whit about how much wheat they uproot, if they can grab a handful of tares to show around!

News flash!!

"Hijack ended!"

And I almost missed it!!
    This start of the quote was not what 'Brother Bob' came up with from Scripture but merely 'borrowed', a la certain politicians, from someone else, in this case, 'His Blood Spoke My Name'! :laugh:

Now back to our regularly scheduled argument and fight!! [​IMG]

Ed

#130 EdSutton, Feb 21, 2007
  11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yep! Like I said once before, a 'stolen' even if by accident, ink pen is enough to make one guilty of stealing, in your theology, for that is still stealing, and is 'breaking one of the Ten Commandments'! Finally, you admit what I claimed, as well. There is no degree of sin, for sin is still sin!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Well, except for those either you, or someone else deem especially henious, and they are worse than the others! :rolleyes:

Ed

#131 EdSutton, Feb 21, 2007
  12. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Actually I agree with both you and with Bro Bob.

In an absolute sense, there is no difference. Sin separates us from an eternal God. If we live for eternity, (which we will, somewhere) the gap will widen as we drift farther an farther from him. Henceforth the unbelliever's white lie will eventually get him as far away from God as another unbeliever's sodomy. Both cannot be saved, but for the grace of God.

However in a temporal sense, some sins are much worse than others.

Psalms 19:
    12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. 13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

In a temporal, practical sense (a Christian's walk) there will be graded rewards and graded chastening.

Luke 19:17-19
    17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities. 18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds. 19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities

Lu 12:47-48
    And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
    48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more

#132 Lacy Evans, Feb 21, 2007
  13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, I have a request.
    I need your prayers. I just got home from the gymn and the hospital had called. My heart tests turned out bad and they are now setting up for me to have a heart cath. I have had 2 different bypass heart surgeries in the past and a massive heart attack that took the bottom partof my heart. They said they would not do any more heart surgery, so I don't know what the future holds for me. I hope you will pray.
    BBob

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

DONE! :1_grouphug: :1_grouphug: :1_grouphug:

15. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

It would be an honor to lift you up to the Lord Brother Bob...I will do it post-haste.

God bless you...I hope these spirited arguments are not bad for your blood pressure...Be careful brother.

Max

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No, the arguments have taught me a lot. I put them in the "good" column.

#136 Brother Bob, Feb 21, 2007
  17. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Bro. Bob hate to hear the news, but I know God has a plan and a purpose. I pray His will be done in your life!!!

18. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Godspeed to you my dear elder brother. May the God of all comfort bless you and keep you. May the God of mercy heal your body.

I know the future holds for you a new heart and a new body that will run to Jesus on resurrection morning!

If you get there before I do,
    Tell all my brothers and sisters i'll be coming there too!

lacy

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Praying for you, Brother Bob, and put you on the prayer list in our church, last evening.

Ed