1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sin entered the world through _______?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by butterbloom, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It may mean (and more likely does) that both she and he ate, not necessarily at the same time.

No, it is because God established Adam as the federal head of the human race, not Eve.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

And disobeying God is not a mistake. It was disobedience. Having said that, sin is anything that does not conform to God's righteousness, so yes, a mistake is sin.

But that is irrelevant. What you said is not biblically plausible because God gave Adam a test of probation and he failed it. That act which would lead to death is not failure to take responsibility. God said, "In the day you eat of it you will certainly die." He did not say, "In the day you fail to take responbility for your actions you will die." The text is very clear on this.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Point taken. I disagree, however, that it was a "test of probation". I believe it was neither a test, nor was it probationary. It was an instruction by God, and Adam chose to believe wat Eve had said over what God had said.

We often think that the fall of Adam happenned right after he and Eve were put in the gardem. But the length of time they were there isn't really specified in the story, so the author of Genesis didn't think it relevant to mention.

Still, if the sin of Adam was simply eating the fruit, why, then, did the author include the detaild of the conversation where Adam tries to pass the buck and blame it on the woman, and in effect, blame it on God, rather than take responsibility for his actions? Assuming you're right (and admittedly, I'm changing my tune a bit here and siding towards your interpretation) Adam's refusal to take responsibility was significant to the story. The question, I suppose, is why.

As NT Christians, we understand the necessessity to take responsibility for our actions by way of admitting our sin, for we cannot turn from that which we do not take responsibility for.

4. butterbloom

butterbloom New Member

Interesting conversation! Thanks!

Now, I'll go post another question.