1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

sin not leading to death?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by AllenLim, Dec 10, 2003.

1. AllenLim

AllenLim New Member

Ok I was just reading these verses, and while a couple of thoughts come to mind, I'm still confused and would like to hear your opinions...

My questions are this...

1. what sort of sins do not lead to death
    2. death here is a loss of salvation? physical death? or something else?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Physical death.

The unrepentant "saints" of 1 Corinthians were sickly, even "slept".

Sins not leading to death: probably singular acts of Christians (unkindness torwards others, agumentative, etc) who are unaware that they are carnal.

Luke 12
    47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
    48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

My opinion of course (except for the Scripture).

HankD

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would be examples of sins which DID "lead to death?"

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1 Corinthians Paul says that some of them were coming to the communion table drunk, others were comitting a form of incest. Although he doesn't say which sins were causing them to "sleep", (except for taking communion "unworthily") these seem to me to be among the most likely.

HankD

5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

This is historically a tough one! Consider the backdrop of the Joahnnine community. This is a late NT letter. More and more false teachers are beginning to come about. In particular, gnosticism had likely begun to rear its head in the community. This false doctrine is not seen as just wrong - it's evil; the spirit of antichrist according to 1 Jn 4:3.

Consider Mt 18:15. If a brother wrongs us, we are to seek resolution - unless he refuses (paraphrased obviously!). 2 Jn 10 says that if a man has not the doctrine of Christ we should neither receive nor wish Godspeed (paraphrased again). Since the only unforgivable sin is rejection of the Holy Spirit it would seem that the sin unto death is an unrepentent sin. If a believer stumbles, lift him/her up! If a "believer" rejects the truth unrepentently then he/she is no believer!