1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SINCERE Questioning vs Objecting to truth....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Aug 17, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that's what I mean. I was going with your example with the debate, not meaning to bring Skan into it. Some people bring their own pet theologies into each discussion. That's how things get hijacked so often. But I believe sometimes these people don't realize that this is what they are doing.

As a different illustration, when I worked as the Sr. MEPS guidance counselor, I noticed that most recruiters early on in the position recruited people mostly for the same jobs they held. Talking to them, they never realized this. But almost every time it worked out that way. They contextualized the military in terms of their own experiences and preferences, and unknowingly presented this to their applicants. As they continued in the field, this changed, but at the start this was the status quo.

People tend to interpret things with a lens they favor. And they tend to shift discussion to a topic that they enjoy discussing. That was more my point than Dr. Flowers debate.

• Useful Useful x 1