1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sinners Need Not Apply

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thatbrian, Jan 2, 2018.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One neglected area of debate in the C vs A war is regarding the salvation of sinners - SINNERS. I mean folks who are sinners through and through. Rebels; Usurpers. . . men who hate God. In other words, His enemies.

Calvinism explains how these are saved. Arminianism does not. God is looking for goodness, in the Arminian view. He is looking for a spark of light. He is looking for a deserving one. One who has already repented and displayed faith PRIOR to being saved, demonstrating his own goodness.

What hope does the enemy of God have if Arminianism is true?

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can name people on this board that hold these views, correct? You can provide links as well, right?

Otherwise, you've got another strawman. I'm going to go with strawman.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

3. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arminians affirm that God's grace is always resistible; therefore, it is not God's grace which may be credited when one believes, but men's self-produced faith that is the deciding factor.

In other words, if God is, by His grace is calling all men, but only some respond, then it's not God's grace that we can logically say is the difference (as it's the same toward all men) but men's decision.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you consider it a war?

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Throw away all your labels bearing the name of a human being. All it can cause is bad stuff.

but God is indeed looking for something

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only reason I can think of that you would label it a "war" is because you believe non-cals to be unsaved and teaching false doctrine, thereby leading others away from salvation.

True or false?

If true, does that mean for those 25 or so years you claim you were an "arminian", that you were unsaved? Until you found calvinism, which answered all your previous questions?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we actually have any Arminians on the BB? I don't mean just members who are not Calvinists, but actual practicing Arminians.

While I am not, I have never heard of this description of them before.

8. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    False, Don

I was a saved Pelagian for 20+ years, so I do not think that at all.

As was as my use of the word, "War", that was just me being a bit provocative and humorous as well. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

9. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do Scarlett. very few, and I don't recall their handles, but I have seen a couple. They should show themselves soon. . .

Also, as many do, I sometimes use the term to mean non-Calvinist, as others have. It's difficult to know when to be precise or when to be broad with that term because you can catch flack either way.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the ultimate sense, we have to allow God to be able to save us in their theology!

11. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    P R I D E