1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sinner's Prayer and the PC Movement

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

To clarify, the statement by the Romanian pastor was referring to the end of a worship service. The "invitation" was contained in the sermon, not an appendage to the sermon.

The pastor who said that to me had actually returned to Romania from Australia as a missionary to his own people. He was not a Calvinist.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This totally goes against the Great Commision to "go".

I recall Joshua giving an invitation to the Israelites...

...and the thief on the cross saying the "sinners prayer" ("...remember me")

#22 webdog, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
  3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Web, my earlier posts #21, speaks to some of what you wrote.

To further clarify, the context of the Romanian pastor's remarks dealt with the work of the Holy Spirit in a worship service. He went on to say that it was common for lost people to seek him out after the service. That was what he meant when he said "they will come."

This pastor's church had 150 members. Their normal Sunday worship attendance was 300. Those 150 visitors didn't just drop in off the street. Pastor Mircea was quite outreach-oriented.

We also visited outlying village Baptist churches. On more than one occasion, we were met by the church's one and only deacon, who said his pastor was out in the community witnessing. We went on with the service with the deacon in charge. Sometimes the pastor showed up, sometimes he didn't.

None of those Romanian pastors that I met were Calvinists. And none of them were sitting around waiting for the lost to come to them.

4. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

To back to the original question, I think a strong distinction can be drawn between "name it and claim it", which promotes the idea of God fulfilling our desires, and a genuine sinner's prayer, which results out of a decision to forsake one's own desires.

5. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

So does, then, the whole premise of giving an 'invitation'...

The thief on the cross didn't say a 'sinner's prayer', and if he did, why doesn't everybody lead sinners in that prayer today?

The thief said 'remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.' If the thief were asking to be with him, he wouldn't have said 'remember me.' He said remember me because he knew he would be separated from Christ at that time. He knew he was guilty and would suffer the judgement of God.

The thief was saved because he trusted Christ's word that he would save him. Period. It had nothing to do with the thief's words on the cross, which, as I said was no 'sinner's prayer' anyway.

6. CubeX

CubeX New Member

I would say no although the PCers could claim it. I know of one (maybe even 2) who would claim just about anything though.

The Sinner's Prayer originated with D. L. Moody in the 1800s. It didn't reach its current poplarity until the 1950s with Billy Graham's "Peace with God" tract and a little later with Campus Crusade for Christ's "Four Spiritual Laws".

In the first century, water baptism was the visible testimony that publicly demonstrated the heart of this prayer.

- Dave

7. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Doesn't the question really boil down to whether or not God requires a response of some kind on our part?

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Doesn't the question really boil down to whether or not God requires a response of some kind on our part?

The lbaker is on to something here.

9. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Or......maybe not.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

lbaker, that's a nice tease.

And, of course, it piques my interest, and begs the question: Is some kind of response required on our part? If so, what form should that response take?

And if not, why not?

11. lbaker

lbaker New Member

IMHO God is looking for a response. Otherwise salvation is just about mental acceptance of a set of facts. Like James says, "The Devils believe....".

12. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

IMmHO (In My more Humble Opinion :laugh:): The difference is the object of belief.

Is it a set of facts, ie, Jesus died, rose, etc.? The divils believe all of this as well as the facts of Revelation, etc, which even makes me tremble sometimes. Many Jews and unsaved Americans you meet believe these things happened.

Is it a promise, ie, 'He laid on him the iniquity of us all', or 'he that believeth on me hath everlasting life.' ? This is not for devils, but for sinners. Few people make this personal 'connection' with the events that they know took place.

I don't remember Jesus asking for a response form anybody while he was on earth, nor the Apostles afterward...

??

13. lbaker

lbaker New Member

How about "He that believes and is baptized..." and "Repent and be baptized..." just to name a couple? ;-)

14. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Hmm. I suspected this would come soon.

Are you saying that you believe baptism is necessary for salvation?
    This is no response, this is obedience.

I'll catch you later, I've got to run. I might be back before Monday.

15. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Jesus was one of the best 'soulwinners' ever:D . Did he ever ask for a 'response' from anyone?

16. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Hey, I'm just quoting what Jesus said, and what Peter said.

How is baptism not a response but obedience? What's the difference?

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I believe that is speaking of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3:11
    I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Mat 10:38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me

Mat 16:24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me

Mat 19:21 Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.

Mar 8:34 And he called to him the crowd with his disciples and said to them, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
    Mar 8:35 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it.
    Mar 8:36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?
    Mar 8:37 For what can a man give in return for his life?
    Mar 8:38 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels

19. lbaker

lbaker New Member

I don't think so. The two passages are telling us to be baptized. How can we cause ourselves to be baptized by the Holy Spirit? That isn't under our control.

20. Abell

Abell New Member

If I may jump in to your discussion...

Although I realize there is no specific requirement for a "sinners" prayer, we are taught that if we offend another, we are to go to them confess our wrongs to them and request forgiveness. I believe this to be the basis for a sinner to pray upon conversion. He is confessing his sins against God, and asking for forgiveness. The Holy Spirit will confirm to him that his sins were paid for at Calvary.

I also believe the invitation to step forward is a unique opportunity for one to make a public statement of his dependence on Jesus. Is it required for salvation? No. But I believe God will openly bless those who openly confess Him, whether it be in believers baptism or simply walking the aisle.

There are times in our church, I feel led to go to the alter to do business with God. I could do this at home just as easily, but I believe when we openly acknowledge God, He honors that.

As far as naming it and claiming it, we need to remember that Jesus taught us to pray for whatsoever we desire, in God's will. Just because I want something, and may be convinced it is in everyone's best interest, it may not be in God's will.