1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sinners prayer included in wedding vows

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by music4Him, Mar 27, 2006.

1. music4Him

music4Him New Member

My neice was a little sneeky a few weeks back and surprised the whole family. She and the man she is now married to (my nephew in law) had a Las Vegas wedding. They had it recored for family and friends, but the one thing my sister said was neat was the preacher asked them to bow their heads and to repeat after him the sinners prayer. The seed was planted and the young man came to church Sunday and totaly accepted Christ as his savior. I'm not sure, but I believe this young man was not much of a church goer and so never heard the Word much growing up. The young man is in for a treat! His new Father in law is a preacher and his Mother in law is co pastor of a church. He married a preachers daughter! [​IMG]
    So what I was wondering is.... was the preacher right to have them repeat the sinner prayer during thier vows?

Is this something you'd do?

In questionable circumstances (like being a Las Vegas preacher and not getting a chance to know those who are wanting to get married are saved) would you have the couple do the same thing (saying the sinners prayer during the wedding ceremony)?

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Personally, I would never perform a wedding ceremony between two people who were not professing Christians.

Secondly, I find the "sinner's prayer" quite deplorable. I bought a Bible online recently that had it printed on the back page (along with the so-called Romans road) and I tore it out.

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I praise God anytime someone embraces Christ and is born of the Spirit of God. Those "sinners prayers" are a wonderful vehicle towards that end. Praise God for them.

Of course, there is always the danger of someone just mouthing those words, and treating it as a "ritual" that will get them into heaven because of reciting it. In that situation, the "sinners prayer" is as powerless to get anyone out of hell and into heaven as mindlessly droning out some "creed" every Sunday.

It should always be well communicated that to simply repeat some prayer means nothing if its not an accurate relflection of the persons heart.

In~His~Grace~

Mike

4. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

quote from Hope of Glory:Secondly, I find the "sinner's prayer" quite deplorable. I bought a Bible online recently that had it printed on the back page (along with the so-called Romans road) and I tore it out.

I would be interested to know why you think that! Don't we have to start somewhere with people? They shouldn't say a prayer accepting Jesus as savior? :eek:

Selah,

Tam

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I got no problem with a sinner's prayer. I only have a problem with it being held up as a prerequisite for salvation, or as the only requisite for salvation.

Personally, I think that when a person becomes saved, the words that come from that person's heart are sinner's prayer enough.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Tam asked:
    Nope. Praying is not required. Repentance and faith are all they need.

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

For those who said you don't need to say a sinners prayer........

Luke 18:10-14
    Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
    11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
    13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

I am greatful that out of all the Las Vegas preachers that could of married my neice they accually found a real one who cared enough to plant the seed for salvation and repentance into them.

1Cor 7:9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some of the fastest growing chruches are in and around Las Vegas.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't have them repeat it in the wedding vows. It has the easy possibility to be unnecessarily offensive.

10. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well I would have made them say the sinners prayer and if they thought it was offensive........... then they should of went to the Justice of the Peace down the road. (or the preacher that dresses like Elvis) [​IMG]

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it gets dangerously close to thinking that the wedding is about what the preacher wants and not what the couple wants. If the minister wants to discuss "sinners and salvation" he should do so prior to the ceremony. If he has a moral objection, then he should not officiate, but I can't find any reason to make the sinner's prayer part of the vows. I do not question the propriety of the prayer, just the propriety of its timing.