1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"sinners prayer "is it biblical?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by massdak, May 2, 2005.

1. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Say what you will my friend and Mr. Spurgeon, but I'll stake my eternity on the fact that I cried out, "Lord, be merciful to me a sinner, and save me." He did....praise to Him !!

2. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

maybe you should look at the post above once again. salvation is of the Lord not what a person says or does. a person can cry out all they want but they must be obedient to the gospel and it is not what we do, but what Christ did. it is not safe to trust in ones own confession or altar call event, but rather trusting Christ. spurgeon preached against man made up invitation systems.

3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

4. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

The referenced article on “Sinners Prayer” says, “If you wrote about what YOU have done rather than what Jesus Christ did for you, you are LOST.”

I want to make a comment about that.

No, I do not believe the statement is representative of the truth. One could be quickened to life, and that wholly the result of God, then that person could discover their sin, and call out to the Lord, and subsequently know that Christ has saved them, but they might not have a correct understanding of what has happened, and may very well think they are saved because they called out to the Lord.

They are not saved because they called out, but they called out because they had new desires, and a new understanding of their sin, a result of the new birth. One that is dead in sins and has no desire for Christ does not understand and dos not desire Christ. While they might very well attribute their salvation on their having called out to the Lord, the truth is they were chosen before the foundation of the earth in Christ, God having from the beginning chosen them to salvation (Eph 1:4; 2Thes 2:13). Our not understanding these things does not hinder the Lord from giving us new life. The new birth is not accomplished by our proper education but is instead by God’s power, the resurrection power.

[​IMG]

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Disclaimer on the link I previously posted:

It's not mine and I do not necessarily agree with the author. I just provided the link for those interested.

10-4, over and out. [​IMG]

6. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

I've been there and done that before [​IMG]

Now let's see, what can I do now? [​IMG]

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Sinner's Prayer is fine (If you realize that you are indeed a sinner).

HankD

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some have prayed the prayer seven times and are still lost as a goose. They have prayed the prayer at the end of the 4 Spiritual Flaws.

9. jim62

jim62 New Member

I got saved by asking Jesus in my Heart, 25 years ago this month and I KNOW I'm saved.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Psalm 51:10
    Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

The Holy Spirit was not yet given??? Angel of the Lord, was Jesus back in them days.

[ May 10, 2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: jim62 ]

10. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Salvation is a one time confession of the mouth and belief in the heart.

The process of sanctification is a life-long one that will culminate when we see Him face to face.

Yes, the sinner's prayer, when said with the proper heart, is all one needs to do to be saved. That is scriptural (obviously not the words, but the concept.)

11. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

i agree

12. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

As salvation is of the Lord, our confession with the mouth and belief with the heart is testimony of what the Lord has done for us. One must be born again, and so have new life, for then only is the confession valid. The deadness prior to our being born again makes us insensible of the separation from the life of God.

Ephesians 4:18 (KJV) Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

13. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Actually, no. Jesus himself said if you confess and believe, you shall be saved. That's it. Three points and a prayer. Like I said, the sanctification is what I think you are referring to, and that my friend is the journey God leads us on until the day we see him face to face. It is at that point we are complete.

14. gopchad

gopchad New Member

(Luk 18:13 KJV) And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

The interesting thing about this prayer is the greek word from which merciful is translated, "hilaskomai"

This word carries the implication of to be a propitiation or to make atonement. Understanding this verse this way I think shows that conviction of sin by the Holy Ghost can result in true repentance to the willing heart and prayer that will cause the sinner to cry to God for mercy and atonement. Praying a prayer that is not the result of the drawing power of the Holy Ghost is just words.

Chad

15. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

That's not what Jesus said, though.

Jesus said if you confess and believe, thou shalt be saved.

Why is this so hard? Why, in a worl that is lost and going to hell, do we as Christians make this so hard? Jesus came so that all may have life, and have it more abundently. He also made it clear that we must come to him with faith like of a child to receive salvation.

Folks, salvation is our simple, blind, faith-filled acceptance of what Jesus did on the cross for us. The Holy Spirit is responsible for regenerating our heart for the rest of our life.

Let's get back to the basics and preach the word, not our flimsy interpretations of it.

16. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus said this>>>>Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jhn 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

it doesnt sound like a differnt option is available sense man wants nothing to do with God as romans explains. why would you think that those who have never heard the gospel were given less of a chance? or do you believe that those that are able to hear the gospel or live in a land that will allow it to be heard is a special privlage? maybe you even believe that your forefathers and grandparents were more God honoring and thus gave you the opportunity that others dont have, or you believe God looks at those who would accept His Son and saw too it they did hear the Gospel.
    the bible never talks about the Holy Spirit as a wooing force that frets to see someone make the right decision. in fact a decision is not faith