1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sinners

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by salzer mtn, May 29, 2014.

1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Should Christians refer to other Christians as sinners or be referred to as sinners ? In the four gospels I know of no scripture that Christ referred to one of his children as a sinner. When Christ spoke to or about the lost he referred to them as sinners but in 1 Tim 1:15 Paul referred to himself as the chief of sinners. Most grace people refer to themselves sometimes as just a sinner saved by grace. I know of certain Christians that refer to a person out of Christ as, the lost or not saved but never do they refer to them as a sinner because they reserve this word for themselves.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread seems something of a snare, if we say we are without sin, the truth is not in us (1 John 1:8) yet no one who abides in Him sins (1 John 3:6).

I like the terms saints and sinners. Saints, being set apart in Christ, abide in Him and therefore none of our sinful thoughts or actions are reckoned against us as sins. However, as we examine ourselves, with the light of the Holy Spirit, we are convicted of our sinful thoughts and actions.

Turning to the lost, it would seem difficult to present the gospel without telling them they are sinners and facing the wrath of God, who can destroy both the body and soul in Gehenna. Without that understanding they would have no need of a Savior. :)

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, everybody is a sinner, but I do not think it is a good idea to go around calling folks sinners. Most will immediately label you as a self-righteous hypocrite, which would be true.

Why do you want to know if it is ok to call persons sinners?

4. salzer mtn

Illistration

You are talking to a lost friend at a gathering after a funeral you work with, and that you have witnessed to on several occasions when your friend see's your pastor and calls him over and say's, brother so-in-so, what do you think about my friend, referring to you. The pastor say's without cracking a smile, he is just a low down sinner capable of anything. As you are standing there with your jaw open red faced with embarrassment the pastor say's in a low voice as he leaves you and your friend, this is what the scripture say's about you. My view on the Op is we can refer to ourselves as sinners but never to our Christian brothers as sinners. In St. John 1:45-47 Philip told Nathanael, we have found him of whom Moses in the law and the prophets did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth ? Did Christ scold Nathanael ? no, instead Christ said, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, that was foreknowledge of faith, Nathanael and Jesus had never met, yet Jesus called him a true Israelite in whom is no guile. This is that true Jew whose praise is of God.

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
    29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Jesus called him an Israelite indeed, and then praised his honesty.

You see, Jesus did not call men wicked sinners, he actually complimented Nathanael for being a very honest person.

But I know that is not why you wrote. It was not very nice for your pastor to do that.

Sounds like you and John (Evangelist) need to find a new church.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Matthew 15:25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
    26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

7. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that was your pastor speaking about you in those terms then it is time for you and he to have a talk out back of the woodshed. If you need a hand I know a guy named Vinny who specializes in smoting hip and thigh.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't get past the fact that he works with a funeral.

9. salzer mtn

Let me rephrase that just for the police. At a gathering after a funeral you are talking to a friend that you have witnessed to on several occasions. Do I need to walk the yellow line too ?

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No yellow line. I got what you meant, just had to read it three times. :)

And I think it is ok to point out to a brother or sister that you see this or that behavior as sinful, rebuking in love so to speak. But to tell those in Christ they are still sinners, is tantamount to telling them they are to be pitied, they are still in their sins, that Christ did not save them. Side note: How would you know?

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It depends where you are, what you are doing, etc. Every situation is different. There is nothing wrong with calling another person a sinner in a friendly conversation. Aren't we all? Neither is it wrong for a preacher to preach it from the pulpit. Again, aren't we all? Sinners saved by the grace of God.

OTOH, it is fairly pompous to go around calling each other saints. The fact may be true, but it may be more associated with Catholicism and therefore taken as arrogance.
    Brother or sister is a common way to address a believer.

Just as context is important in exegesis, what is the situation?
    Every situation is different.

12. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No we are not refered to as sinners since it is not our practice. The term sinner is a reference for those who have not come to repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. We are called saints. We were once sinners but we are now saints saved by grace.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on Judith