1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sinning while dreaming

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tinytim, Mar 24, 2008.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

dreams seem to serve many purposes. Our brain often engages in problem-solving during dreams. We also process data taken in. We also try and deal with disturbing or difficult experiences through dreams. Scripture often talks of God using dreams to speak to people or give them instruction. And then there's the myriad of unknown causes and purposes.....

My point: If a "dirty dream" is the result of "dirty input," then it's our problem. If it's a nonsense dream, or not the result of "junk" we've taken in....I'd have problems putting it in the sin category.

In short: Let the Holy Spirit guide us.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, so if you have a dream of eating a giant marshmallow, then you wake up and your pillow is gone......have you committed gluttony?

Or if you dream you're reading the NIV, and you're KJVO.....is that sin?

What if you're a calvinist....you dream of arriving in heaven, and find out that instead of TULIP, the real acronym God wanted you to learn was "CHRYSANTHEMUM"?

3. dheagle93

dheagle93 New Member

I would have to ask if there is a legitimate comparison between the times past when God spoke through dreams, and the present day when He has spoken by His Son and given us the totality of the Word. So, Joseph was accountable for obeying God speaking through his dream, perhaps because Joseph did not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to guide him? So, his dreams, and even Paul's vision of someone in Macedonia saying to come and help them, would have been communication methods God no longer needs.

I would still agree that we are responsible for what we put in our heads, whether it manifests itself in dreams, daydreams, or slightly odd blog posts...the sin is in the taking in of those things which would not pass Philippians 4:8...True, trustworthy, excellent, praiseworthy, and so forth...

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I don't think we ever dream anything that we have not thought about or experienced.
    A common thing in my dreams is to mix people and places up a lot.

I have lived in two states very far apart (Indiana and Arizona) and I have often had weird dreams mixing people and places of the two up.

As far as sinful dreams, I would say there is some degree of accountability there.
    At the very least it can show us the true condition of our heart.
    Even if you say the dream itself is not a sin, if you are dreaming of sinful things then it is your sinful heart "running loose" so to speak.

5. Bro. Ruben

Bro. Ruben New Member

I believe when God revealed His plans using man’s dreams, those dreams were exceptional and for very special purposes for they became part of the Holy Bible. Those characters in the Bible were used as part of the Scripture, accomplishing God’s will.

Ordinary dreams now should not be compared with the dreams mentioned in the Bible; sinful or not.

Now, let us reverse the situation, if we follow God’s will and commands in our dreams, do we automatically glorify Him? For if not, then we sin?

Sin has many faces; the Devil and evil spirits use different means, awake or not. Dreams – sinful or not - are part of man’s life. We are still in the flesh and will continue sinning. Again, awake or asleep.

I belive we commit sin while asleep.

Sorry, no verse.

#25 Bro. Ruben, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
  6. standingfirminChrist

If indeed those are right who say we sin when we dream, then we have no chance whatsoever of entering into eternal life with Christ the Lord.

How can I say this?

We all sleep. Some more than others. We all dream. Most dreams are not remembered by us.

If indeed we sin when we dream, then we do so continually, for we dream every time we sleep.

Scripture is clear that those who continue in sin are not of God, for 'the child of God cannot sin.'

So, if we sin in our dreams, then we are all doomed to hell because our dreams never stop.

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I agree :thumbs:

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are those who believe we sin every day anyway. To claim we can go 24 hours without sinning is a lie...and a sin.

9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last night I had a dream that I had "relations" with a not-so-cute girl from high school that I haven't seen in 14 years... all I know is that I never wanted that to happen! :laugh:

10. standingfirminChrist

In your opinion it is a lie, webdog.

But it is possible. Scripture states that God does not let temptations come upon us that there is not a way of escape.

If it were not possible to go extended amounts of time without sinning, there would not be so many commands against sinning in the Word of God. The Word would not tell us there is a way to escape temptation. It would not tell us to walk in the Spirit and by doing thus we would not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

If it were not possible, we would not be given the command to "Awake to righteousness and sin not," or "Be ye angry but sin not"

The command not to sin is not there just to fill a blank space on a page. If it were not possible to go for any length of time without sinning, the command to "sin not" would not be in the Word of God.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that is true. There are sins of comission and sins of omission. Sins we know we commit and sins we do not realize we commit. I believe it is the height of arrogance to believe "I did not sin today." Hey, and I'm not a Calvinist who believe ........... well you know.

12. standingfirminChrist

Then John's words, I write unto you that ye sin not, were idle words.

John will give account for those idle words..

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:rolleyes:

John was not saying we can go without sinning, but that we are to strive for this. That is the meaning of that verse in context. It would help to step away from the KJV for a change.

14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lost person (a person who is perishing) can strive not to sin, but they are doomed to fail because they are in bondage to sin and cannot break free themselves. A disciple of Christ (one who is being saved) has been set free from the bondage of sin and, through training in the life of Christ, can have very substantial victory over sin in this life.

The claim that life in Christ can make no substantial change in our lives in regard to sin violates the plain teaching of the New Testament, from the gospels through Revelation.

Actually, that's the meaning given to much of the New Testament because the Western church has confused biblical discipleship (learning by following the example of Jesus and other godly people and trusting in the power of God to transform us) in favor of turning the Christian faith into a set of beliefs and affirmations that somehow makes us right with God yet leaves us to fend for ourselves in regard to sin. We have interpreted those verses in light of our current common practice instead of letting those verse show us that our current common practice is in error.

Other than in talking to Mormons, I haven't used the KJV in any substantial way in 20 years.

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Can we sin while dreaming?

I think someone said it, but I think the sinning is not in the actual dreaming. Its in what you have allowed the mind to dwell on before that dream.

However, in my experience, there are some pretty random dreams that did not stem from the mind dwelling on anything ungodly.

So my answer is...its not the dream that is the sin, its where the mind is allowed to dwell that can be a sin.

16. Brett Valentine

I have had dreams where there has been some sort of temptation, or some sort of "attack" and I had the presence of mind and the power to stand on and even call God's Word to mind, and I would either wake up or just go back to a deeper, restful sleep. I've even had dreams where I was praising God. I have had dreams where I was presented with a temptation or was under some sort of attack where I didn't respond so well. . . Usually, those dreams were a product of how much or little I was in the Word, or praying, or worshipping. I really think the God can and does some dreams to show us a heart attitude that needs addressing when we are awake, or encouragement to keep doing what we are doing. I know He has used that in my life. So in that sense, since we have a redeemed nature, but the remnant of sin in our lives, it can manifest itself in our dreams, but not every dream (or even most dreams) are a direct message from God. ANyone else have a similar experience?