1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sixty Days of Jail Time for Backyard Bible Study

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by freeatlast, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

So you can have a fifty person house party, but not a fifty person Bible study?? Ridiculous.

They live across the street from a soccer/basketball and park complex. They have 4 acres. Everyone parks on their property. The next door neighbor has huge parties, and people park on the street. But nothing is wrong with that...

Government has NO RIGHT protecting us from ourselves. That is just sickening.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I believe in the first amendment;
    [FONT=trebuchet ms, arial, helvetica]"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."[/FONT]

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

For private buildings on private property? Absolutely.

In private buildings on private property, for non-commercial (no money being exchanged) purposes? Absolutely.

No one else is losing any rights. The Bible study is not affecting the neighbors at all. Other than the person dislikes Christianity, and is trying to cause problems.

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

This is exactly why one should employ what I call the "180 degree" policy: Take what you read, hear or see from the media, then turn it around 180 degrees and you might see the truth!! Usually works for me.

BTW, this would also apply to most history and even some theoology books.

EX: If all I were living in some remote foreign country and all I ever knew about the US were from books authored by Soviet era communist party hacks, I'd certainly be glad I didn't live there.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right FAL. I used "pull the plug" as a figure of speech.

HankD

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does everyone get my point made in one of my posts?

We are talking about this because it's a fuzzy case which has more than one dynamic.

Freedom of worship/freedom of peaceful assembly

versus

Legitimate zoning laws.

Because those dynamics intersect in this case it is causing this debate and the one currently going on the WWW which is the desired end in order to advance an agenda by testing the social climate and getting "we the sheeple" tolerant of having our freedoms taken away.

It's not exactly about the surface issue but a means (divide and conquer) to an end.
    An end which has a much wider scope.

HankD

#66 HankD, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  7. targus

targus New Member

I don't think that it is anything that sinister.

Salman was told from the beginning that he needed an "A Occupancy" for his church meetings.

He is allowed to construct an "A Occupancy" on his property.

What he did was move his meetings from his house which is not an "A Occupancy" into a building that he built in the back of his house that is still not an "A Occupancy".

Building codes are about safety.

Room sizes for the number of people - the number and placement of exits and windows - ceiling heights - restroom requirements - and so on.

My question is - Why didn't he just build his church building according to building codes?

I doubt that he would be having the problems that he is having if he played it straight.

Within the first minutes of the video he says that when he built his accessory building he told the city that it was a "game room".

Why did he lie?

8. billwald

billwald New Member

This fight has been going on for years. Can't fight city hall. They will lose in the 9th Circuit Court.

I can't form an opinion without seeing the building permit.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if you consider that satan uses us unawares to ourselves.

Why does anyone lie?

HankD

10. targus

targus New Member

Seriously, what was the purpose in lying when he applied for his building permit?

The only answer that I can come up with is that it is more expensive to build and "A Occupancy" building than a residential building.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some have said there should be NO restriction on religious meetings.

1. So a church should be able to practice snake handling in a residential neighborhood

2. A church building should not be required to conform to fire codes

3. A church building should not be required to conform to handicap requirements (parking, door width, ect)

4. Church leaders should not be required to report child sexual predators

5. Should a church be allowed to practice animal sacrifice

6. Should a church (in a residential area) be allowed to amplify sound/music without regards to neighbors

7. Should a pastor be allowed to lie if it helps the church?

Now before anyone says these items I listed are not pertinent to the case in question - I realize that -
    but some have said "Freedom of Religion".
    Is itis an absolute freedom - or is the govt allowed to make reasonable restrictions?
    The same amendment also says "or abridging the freedom of speech" but the SCOTUS did say a man may not yell fire in a crowded theater.

Where do we draw the line.

As far as this case, I would like to know what ALL the neighbors think about the situation.

12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Stop right there. We are not talking about a "church." We are talking about friends and family gathering at a home to study the Bible. There is no offering taken. There is no paid staff. It is not open to the public. The place in question is not a "church" in a legal sense of the word.

Yes, a person should be able to have snakes at their home. If they get loose, and escape from that person's property, they are legally liable. But as long as the person has them confined to their property, then it is nobodies business. Several of my neighbors have snakes. My former pastor, who is also a former zoo keeper and biologist, lived in a residential district with dozens of snakes....

A home (we are not talking about a church) should be able to be built however that person wants it built, as long as it does not infringe on neighboring properties. If you want to build your home, on your property, out of sticks and gum wrappers, it is no one else's business but yours...ESPECIALLY in a rural situation such as this one, where the property in question is 4 acres.

Church buildings are already exempt from ADA requirements. Courts have already upheld this. But we are not talking about a church. We are talking about a person's home.

We are not talking about a church. We are talking about a home. Yes, people can have a child predator in their home. If not, where on earth would they live? :tonofbricks:

A person should be able to kill an animal at their home, yes. Grandma used to do this all the time. She would grab the chicken by the neck, spin it, and the head would pop off. :laugh:

Overly loud music is a form of trespassing. Completely different.

Lying is not against the law. Not sure this man lied...

In a commercial situation, perhaps. A person's private home is a different matter.

We err on the side of freedom.
    There is only one real neighbor. The only other thing next to them is a large sports complex/park. It is a rather rural area.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:rolleyes: Apples and oranges. :tonofbricks:

14. targus

targus New Member

Not apples and oranges at all.

In the specific case that we are talking about....

The building was not built to code.

The guy lied when obtaining the building permits.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Those who support religious tyranny always defend government Gestapo's.

16. targus

targus New Member

There is no gestapo here.

The city told him he could have his bible studies with a large group of people but he needed an "A Occupancy" building which he was allowed to build on his property.

He LIED and told the city that he was building a "residential accessory building" for a GAME ROOM which is NOT an "A Occupancy" building.

That is why he is facing jail.

WHY DID HE LIE ???

Why are YOU supporting a LIAR?

17. targus

targus New Member

BTW this is just more of your trash talk that you resort to when you find yourself in a corner that you don't have the wits to get out of.

#77 targus, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
  18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

As usual you support the Gestapo and deny the constitution.

19. targus

targus New Member

Why did he LIE?

Why are YOU supporting a LIAR?

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

He didn't lie. Those claiming he lied are the ones who are telling the lies. It was what he said it would be. It was not a church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.