1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

slain in the spirit

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by shy one, Nov 13, 2001.

1. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Dr. Bob and Paula,

I will go along with Dr. Bob's first six points. The last two . . . well, that's going a little far. Hope your bunker's fortified Dr. Bob! :eek:

The "charismatic experience's" main emphasis is a focus on self. What can God show me? How can God make me feel today? What sign can He or I show?

The biblical picture of worship is God focused. It's all about Him and zilch to do with us! Take away the "spiritual high" experienced by the devout charismatic worshipper and see what happens to their "devoutness!"

I don't have the source, but I read an article of this very thing happening. A pastor of a charismatic church was convicted in his heart that his congregation's worship was wrong. He spoke about this from the pulpit and told his congregation that they were going set aside some time to focus their worship on giving to God rather than "receiving from" God. His church fell apart. But with the few that remained loyal to him he rebuilt a vibrant, God-centered congregation.