1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slain Minister's Wife Faces Murder Charges

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Vasco, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Vasco

Vasco New Member

im not in the states but was curious if this story is getting much press over there..

The wife of a minister found shot to death in their church's parsonage agreed Friday to return to Tennessee to face first-degree murder charges in his death, authorities said.

Mary Winkler was found with the couple's three young daughters late Thursday in Orange Beach, Ala., 340 miles south of their home.

rest if story here
    Slain Minister's Wife Faces Murder Chargers

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Genius minds must think alike... I just posted the same story a minute after you. I live in Tennessee and it has been all over the news.

3. Vasco

Vasco New Member

i only visited tennessee once, gatlinburg.. is selmer close?

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Nope - Selmer is over almost in West Tennesse in the southern part of the state. South of a line between Nashville and Memphis, about 1/2 way between the two.

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

C4K is right (as usual). Selmer TN is the county seat of McNairy County, the same area where Sheriff Buford Pusser ("Walking Tall") once lived.

According to reports the victim was Pastor of the 4th Avenue Church of Christ.

What a future his three young daughters will have to face. They certainly need our prayers.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Church of Christ the pastors are another name for the elders. The victim was the minister or preacher.

This is a very sad story. I wonder why the woman did it.

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Right you are KenH!

I guess all of us are wondering what her motive(s) may have been.

8. NateT

NateT Member

Makes me wonder how he was treating her all these years.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It is very sad, but she has not been convicted, nor has she yet confessed, so to say she "did it" is premature. Innocent until deemed guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of her peers.

10. NateT

NateT Member

The stories I've read said that she did confess and she is in custody, and that she has waived her right to an extradition treaty.

11. Petrel

Petrel New Member

She has confessed.

My money's on either an affair on his part or mental illness on her part.

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It is very sad, but she has not been convicted, nor has she yet confessed, so to say she "did it" is premature. Innocent until deemed guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of her peers. </font>[/QUOTE]Well, my bad! I see she confessed. Well then, that puts a whole new coat of paint on things, doesn't it?

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

[snotty as heck] Shame on you, making wagers on another's tragedy! [/snot]

Or both. I doubt abuse by him because abused women are generally kind of shocky and less likely to run. Money doesn't seem all that likely - what kind of fool would marry a pastor for money (unless he's a televangelist)?

The daughters do have a giant burden to bear.

14. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Although I believe in the total depravity of man (and woman)I would suspect from what I read in the paper and see on cable TV that the woman has a problem with depression or is possible bi-polar, off her medication or something similar.

15. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

*hmpf* Why ask why?

People all over the world do terrible things to others.

16. D28guy

D28guy New Member

The news reports now say that she has not only confessed, but she has given them the reason why.

But they arent sharing that information yet with the press yet.

I guess we will find out in due time.

Mike

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I have been on another secular board from my hometown, and it's truly mind-boggling. These feminists who always believe a woman when she cries "rape", and always blame the man in a domestic violence case, are now saying that this guy might have deserved it.

If a man whacks a woman, he's a scumbag. If a woman whacks a man, he's a scumbag.

18. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Hope of Glory,

I've noticed the same thing.

I was watching some program earlier where they were talking to some feminist psychobabblists about this.

They showed that picture of the whole family. The one where everyone was smiling except the youngest little girl.

From that picture you couldnt discern anything wrong with the little girl, she just wasnt smiling! Kids are that way sometimes.

Well, this babblist said something like "I notice the one little girl isnt smiling. That is obviously fear in her face. She has been enduring some kind of ritual abuse from the Dad and the Mother had to stop it as best she could.

(((WHAT???)))

Because the little kid wasnt smiling???

Now maybe something like that was going on. Maybe she caught him having an affair. Those are possibilities, but WE...DONT...KNOW yet, and we cant tell by just looking at a kids face in a picture.

Some of this stuff just amazes me.

Mike

19. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Which is countered by the masculinists who always believe that either the woman was "asking for it" or that the crime was actually directed against the men (father, husband, brother, boyfriend) associated with her or, most commonly, that it didn't happen and the woman is just lying to get back at the guy.

Yeah, I know - I have to watch my own biases on that because I know I have them.

I think that bias comes from judging individual cases by the general trend, that men in general tend to be more violent than women in general as well as bigger, stronger and more able to defend themselves. Non-violent murder, eg. poison, is still considered to be a womanly crime - and premeditated at that.

20. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is in the news only because of who is involved. People murder their spouses every day. (That's not hyperbole, it's literally true)

The fact that she killed him instead of vice versa, that they were white, middle-class, had three daughters and he was a minister are why you see it on The Today Show.

The Today Show never has a story about, "Tamika Patterson killed her common-law husband at the Pruitt-Igo housing projects." even though it happens.