1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slandering God

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV is not the be-all and end-all of Bible translations.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sal,you conveniently avoided the challenge I put forth.Go to the NLTse and list passages which water-down sin,hell and judgment.I already gave you representative passages which deal with God's wrath -- but you are too scared to deal with that subject apparently.

You can't just make bold claims and not back them up.At least while you insist on not backing them up you lead the rest of us to make the conclusion that A) you don't know what you're talking about B) you are deliberately not telling the truth.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One may not have to read too many of his posts without drawing BOTH conclusions. :applause:

4. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi franklinmonroe

You said.......
    They didn’t have to be identified, because this was the general consensus about the Bible, before Warfield made his statement.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Believe it or not, 120 years ago, every Christian agreed that the Bible was without error.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Who says? I have seen several people who quote the NIV, these days, although I do not personally, as I am not a great fan of it, as a rule. I will occasionally cite it, when the reading happens clearer, than one or more other commonly used 'standard versions.'

While the KJV was ostensibly the version of choice at the Bible College I attended, the only 'requirement' for such was for memory verses, as given in class, for standardization purposes. Incidentally, if I had been a little more knowledgeable then, when I was 20 or so, I would have actually used the 1611 KJV, and not some 'Americanized', pirated variation of that version (Why is/was 'stealing' the Bible, and ripping off the owners of the KJV considered as "Okay!" by those who claim to be Christian and advocates of the KJV, anyway?? And then bearing false witness to the same?? Especially when the genuine article a minimum of seven times clearly and expressly commands the following??)
    , and I would have raised a ruckus, if necessary, over the spellings and wordings, were I not to have received full credit, but I did not know that then, nor did I even then have the time and resources to acquire a genuine, true copy of the 1611 KJV. [BTW, did you happen to notice that the Revised KJV-1769 Edition in Rom. 13:9 'changes' the wording, and did not just 'update' the 'spelling', here, as is often claimed, by some? I suggest this is a little more of the bit about "neither deale falsly, neither lie to one another." (Lev. 19:11 cp. Prov. 6:19; 12:17; 14:5; 25:18)]

Sorry, I was sold a "bill of goods" on the 'real' KJV Bible then, and bought it, due to ignorance and youthfulness, but I have managed to learn one or two things, at least, over 45 some-odd years, as a Christian, so that I ain't buyin' any such "bill of goods" today. And further, I suggest that I am the one "sticking with the Lord," on this one, considering He quoted this more than once.
    You will note that I did not say, nor did I imply that this question was asked in this thread, by C4K, for it is not in this thread, but rather of one about a year ago. (And let the record show that Salamander did not attempt to answer C4K, specifically, but
    'side-stepped' the question more than once, and attempted to derail that thread with multiple "rabbit trails," as well.) http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=42271

As to your claim that you missed it, then how come you had more than 15% of the posts, there in that thread? I counted at least 31 out of 192, there by Salamander. Some more of that "false witness" bit, maybe? Or is your memory failing? I might have an excuse I could use for that, were I searching for one, considering I had surgery on a blocked carotid artery, with the resultant lack of blood flow to my poor brain, for a time, at ~98% blockage. I sincerely hope you do not have the same problem as I had, here.
    Personally, I'm kinda' glad Dr. Blayney was available to edit the 1611 KJV, and correct 'bad readings' therein.
    And ya' know, come to think of it, I think I just figgered out whence some of those 'less than acceptable textual renderings' arise!

Ed

#145 EdSutton, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sigh! Simply not a true statement, here. Either that, or you are once again questioning the salvation of many individuals. Does the name Crawford Howell Toy ring any bells with you? How about Charles Haddon Spurgeon, who was already in the midst of the "Downgrade controversy" in England, over the trustworthiness of the Bible, with English Baptists? Spurgeon was a complete believer in inerrancy, FTR.

Not to mention, the repeated attempt to blame a lot of this on B. B. Warfield, is pathetic scholarship, to say the least.

FTR, I checked a bit, and could find no other reference to Warfield's alleged "well known" practice that he "NEVER regularly attended any church," statement, and find that one highly questionable, as well. Especially, since it seems to go against some things he wrote, elsewhere, about church attendance.

Ed

7. stilllearning

Hi Ed

I figure if something is in Wikipedia, than we can call it “common knowledge”.

From Wikipedia, on BB Warfiled

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sorry, SL, there is not a worse possible place to look to for accuracy than Wikipedia.

9. stilllearning

I knew this, about Wiki., but I only mentioned it, because I have read these same two points, in other places;

But that doesn’t really matter, does it.

Early on, someone called this “a doomed thread”.

I now know, what they meant.

At some point, the instruction in Titus 3:10 has to kick in.

Okey, “C4K”, when ever you are ready.....

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Well, when a thread is not on open violation of rules I normally let it run, but since the author of the OP gave permission......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.