1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slavery

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Scott J, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Taking off on a different tack on this point, as some have pointed out, slavery is still a heavy-duty concern in this world. Today, as I was asked to preach for the Black History emphasis at our church, while the pastor is on vacation, I elected to use the focus that is being offered churches around the nation for next week (Feb. 18), "Amazing Grace Sunday". This observance is intended to highlight the 200th anniversary of the abolition of slavery in Britain, under the influence of William Wilberforce and the preaching John Newton, the author of "Amazing Grace".

Using the websites that accompany a film about to be released (www.amazinggracemovie.com) I learned many things about modern trafficking in human beings. There may be as many as 27,000,000 worldwide in some form of servitude right now! Something for us all to get concerned and active about.

I used that wonderful material in Galatians 5 -- "For freedom Christ has set you free ... do not be enslaved again to a yoke of bondage." I know that is primarily about getting yoked up to legalistic religion, but I believe we Baptists have at our best always known that it had wider implications.

2. Southernpatriot

Southernpatriot New Member

I have to respectfully disagree with the concept of American Slavery being racial in nature. Africians were in fact sold into bondage by fellow tribes who had captured them during war.There were in fact free blacks who owned slaves. There were also Cherokee Indians who owned slaves. I would have to say that the rule was to treat slaves good. Why would you harm someone who made you money. When in fact the average price for field help started at around $400. Domestic help or house help was closer to $1000 per.The myth that all slaves were in chains and beat all the time is just wrong. Most slaves had thier own quarters . They may not have been elaborate but they were homes. This is not to say that slavery should have continued. It was a system that in fact helped this country get to where we are today. Today the mention of slavery means big money in guiltt reparations. Instead of sorting out facts , too many use it's past as a tool to instill guilt, fear and money. Far too long it has been used as a crutch to excuse the laziness of today's generation.

3. amity

amity New Member

Yes, and you likely know that in many if not most cases even Amnesty International does not oppose much of the slavery that exists today. In many areas it keeps people alive in fairly good condition who would otherwise be starving. It is not always such an evil institution. Better to be free if possible, of course. But it is not always possible right now, and never has been.