1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by SaggyWoman, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, how are you adjusting to it, Saggy? It takes getting used to (and lots of pressure from my mask on the bridge of my nose) but my do I wake up feeling alive again.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Actually, I went back to the doctor again today. I have been on this C-PAP for... well... how long? Maybe a month.

I have awakened feeling a lot more refreshed than I used to. I am still adjusting to it. I normally used to sleep through the night. I still haven't been able to. The mask isn't so bad--getting used to the blowing--that is. And feeling strapped in while I am sleeping. But it has been worth it. By far. Now, I just need to work on losing weight.

I did go to the docto today as a follow up. I found out that from my first sleep study before C-pap, I was stopping breathing 50 times an hour. An HOUR. (where are those freaky gremlins?) :rolleyes: oh, there they are.

Anyway. I also found out that my Oxygen content was only 71 percent. Made me high risk for a heart attack among other things.

The test with the CPAP showed that my oxygen was normal and short of the first hour when they were trying to regulate the amount of air, I didn't stop breathing but once or twice.

Again, it is working out good, and I don't fall asleep at the drop of the hat or while I am driving. Or when I am in staff meeting whith pastor Raymond. :D

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good news, Sag-meister. Hang in there; it IS worth the strapped-in feeling. And blowing cold air will freeze exposed skin - I often wake up with a frozen cold hand.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

I have had my machine about 5 years now and I can't imagine sleeping without it. It took me about 6 months to get used to the mask but once I did I would not go back. I use the nasal pillows now and like them better.

Sleep apnea can be a serious condition and if you know someone who has a problem please encourage them to get help. A guy I worked with was diagnosed the same time I was. About a year later he went to sleep without his machine (alcohol was involved). Anyway, he died that night in his sleep. Please do not ignore this condition.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh Saggy! 50 times a minute! That's awful! No wonder you were so tired. If I lose sleep, I don't function well at all the next day.

Praise the Lord for this machine!

Diane

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You know, I sleep rough, and sometimes, like last night, I woke up with a mask on my face and cold air blowing all over my body.

:rolleyes:

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

(it had become disconnected.)