1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slidell Baptist Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by rustynail, Feb 4, 2005.

1. rustynail

rustynail New Member

Has anyone had any experience with Slidell Baptist Seminary in Louisiana? I am currently a student and have received multiple low quality tapes, and my tuition statement was incorrect until I complained about it. This time, one of the "tests" that I sent in November was lost in the mail. I sent another copy of the test on Jan. 18 by certified mail, and found out the test hasn't been accepted yet as of Feb. 4. This is the only test that is missing for the Bachelor of Theology degree. Has anyone else had problems with this seminary or heard anything bad about it? I mean, a Doctor of Theology degree for $700 by listening to tapes and having the KJV Bible as the only textbook is pretty ridiculous, but I was attending to further my knowledge of the Bible. Any comments?

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

I agree. Why have to listen to tapes? Maybe for an even thousand they'd just send me the ThD [​IMG] !

But seriously, IF what you describe is true, why are you "going" to a school for a ThB that gives docs as prizes in cracker jacks?

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

Rusty,

Sounds like you're involved with a bogus institution. To me, these are worse than outright degree mills. With degree mills one knows one does not deserve the diploma. With places like Slidell appears to be, one can pretend that one has earned it.

I checked out their website. The page on accreditation says: "Slidell Baptist Seminary is accredited by the American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions of Rocky Mount, North Carolina.," complete with the comma after the period. The ole AAATI of Rocky Mount. It don't get no better than that! The website is a hoot: http://fundamental.org/slidell . Degrees and bottom-line prices right there so there are no questions asked. Send us your money and we'll send you a tape. KJV not included.

Interestingly, and fittingly, everywhere quotation marks are supposed to be, questions marks show up on my display. Maybe I just don't have AAATI-accredited fonts. For instance, in the "Historical Sketch" we find
    "Dr. Dabdoub [the president] holds several degrees, the Bachelor of Bible, the Master of Theology, and the Doctor of Pastoral Theology. He was also included in ?Who?s Who in American Education? in 1989 and 2,003. On October 24, 1997, Dr. Dabdoub was awarded with a ?Decree of Merit? by the International Biographical Centre of Cambridge, England for his outstanding contribution to ?Advanced Theological Education?."

I can't help but wonder why certain publications accept advertisements from money-mongering places such as this. The publications become accessories to the dissimulation.

It's a shame, because there are legitimate, accredited places to receive both knowledge of the Bible and an ethical diploma.

Blessings,
    Bill

4. Nord

Nord New Member

Does not sound...errr....ummmm....eh...you know

There are many other affordable options & with recongized accreditation, including the route that UZThD took.

My guess is that some tapes and the KJV bible does not a ThD make...just a guess...

Seriously, I am sure many good suggestions could be made that will make the best use of your talents and good stewardship as well. We certainly owe God our best.

Nord

5. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

Rusty...

Just wondering about a couple of things here.

What have you learned from the courses that you have taken?

How many tests per course?

Have you been able to apply anything that you have learned so far?

Please do not mistake this post as an endorsement of that school or others like it.

The point that I am trying to make here, is that all of us should be in the process of improving our own Bible knowledge, and if Rusty has improved his personal knowledge and has learned from this course, he has at least that behind him.

God Bless

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

I am all for learning. I also am all for exposing the unChristian practice of giving academic degrees for insubstantial learning.

Therefore, I ask , again, why "go" to a school that does this?

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone had any experience with Slidell Baptist Seminary in Louisiana? I am currently a student and have received multiple low quality tapes, and my tuition statement was incorrect until I complained about it. This time, one of the "tests" that I sent in November was lost in the mail. I sent another copy of the test on Jan. 18 by certified mail, and found out the test hasn't been accepted yet as of Feb. 4. This is the only test that is missing for the Bachelor of Theology degree.

==I have no experience with the school, never even heard of it.

Has anyone else had problems with this seminary or heard anything bad about it? I mean, a Doctor of Theology degree for $700 by listening to tapes and having the KJV Bible as the only textbook is pretty ridiculous,

==That is not a ThD.

but I was attending to further my knowledge of the Bible. Any comments?

==For that, try Andersonville. They are not accredited but they do teach the Bible and have quality programs. If you do not need or desire an accredited degree that is the direction I would recommend you go.

Btw, I am emailing this school.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following is the email I sent to Slidell. Their response should be more than interesting. This version picks up after my introduction.

The AAATI is NOT an accrediting body. Accrediting bodies have standards that are met, and recieve approval. AAATI does not have such approval because it does not require the high academic standards of its schools. A good example of this tragedy is your school which, according to a student, does not require text books for the ThD? Just a KJV Bible? According to your own website a doctorate degree with no thesis? ? ? That is not school, that is a Bible study. That does not deserve accreditation, nor should it be called a degree (because it is not). Government approval is not the issue here, the issue is academic integrity. Government approved accreditation is a stamp of academic integrity (ie...the school meets certain academic standards). True that does not mean a school is good, nor does no accreditation mean a school is bad. However for a school that does not hold accreditation to claim accreditation, "full accreditation" in fact, is misleading and very bad. There are Christian accrediting agencies that are government approved (ie...TRACS). I know your school cannot gain such accreditation now, but it should try. Either that or you school needs to remove the claim of full accreditation from your website.

As Christians we should be straight forward about these matters. What about people who need accredited degrees, and sign up at your school thinking your school is truly accredited? When they go out to try to get a job, maybe at a Bible College or something, or when they try to transfer credits to another school (ie...a real accredited school, or even most quality non-accredited school) they are going to be turned down. Does that not bother you? Don't you feel that it is your job to be honest about the nature of your institution? The degrees you offer? Your accreditation? I think it should bother you because you are misleading people.

In the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord I beg you to consider dropping the claim to accreditation that you currently have, improve the academic quality of your program (require books, tapes, difficult proctored exams/tests, term papers, thesis for Masters/Doctors programs, etc), and seek real accreditation. Then and only then claim to be fully accredited.

Now, having gone through the negative stuff, let me say that I admire your doctrinal statement. It is sound because it is Biblical. That makes what I had to say above all the more sad. Why not become a real school? You can do that with distance learning. You can, many schools have.

Because I believe in Christ, I believe in HIGH standards.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Take a look at the credentials of the prson who founded it at http://fundamental.org/slidell/paulres.html

He doesn't have a Ph.D. or equivalent.

Paul O. Dabdoub
    P.O. Box 7
    Slidell, Louisiana 70459

Pastoral Experience:

Mooring Baptist Church
    Tiptonville, Tennessee
    1978 - 1979

Kinfolks Ridge Baptist Church
    Caruthersville, Missouri
    1979 - 1980

Victory Baptist Church
    Caruthersville, Missouri
    1980 - 1991

Ridge Memorial Baptist Church
    Slidell, Louisiana
    1991 - Present

Education:

Slidell High School
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Graduated 1965

Liberty Bible Institute
    Lynchburg, Virginia
    Graduated 3-20-1979
    General Bible Course Diploma

Open Bible College
    Millbrook, Alabama
    Graduated 8-1-1983
    Bachelor of Bible Degree

Andersonville Baptist Seminary
    Camilla, Georgia
    Graduated 5-11-1996
    Master of Theology Degree

Camilla, Georgia
    Graduated 11-1-1996
    Doctor of Pastoral Theology Degree

Major Accomplishments:

Established Victory Baptist Church
    Caruthersville, Missouri
    12-14-1980

Established Victory Baptist Academy
    Caruthersville, Missouri
    8-1-1985

Founded Slidell Baptist Seminary
    Slidell, Louisiana
    9-1-1994

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some info about the accrediting agency is at http://www.biblical-life.com/nca/nci.htm

American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions
    P. O. Box 8939 • Rocky Mount, NC 27804-8939 • 252-451-0024

Later on that same website is mentioned:

A Final Note Regarding Accreditation

"If your sole purpose for seeking an education is for the Gospel Ministry or a related field with Christian ministry, secular accreditation is not necessary or required. All Christian churches accept quality Christian education regardless of which accrediting group (if any) a school is with. If you are studying for other than ministry, to become a business administrator, engineer, lawyer, etc., make sure that the school you are going to study with belongs to a regional (or national) accrediting association that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. In secular education, this type of accreditation is essential. For education of those in Christian service, secular accreditation does nothing for Christian education other than making the tuition beyond the reach of most ministers."

On another website at http://www.theraponuniversity.org/tuaccreditation.html

Dr. Cecil Johnson is the Executive Director of The American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions. If there are any further questions not answered about our accreditation on this page, he may be contacted by writing to:
    Dr. Cecil Johnson / Exec. Dir.
    A.A.A.T.I.
    P. O. Box 8938

On another website at http://www.seekgod.ca/early.htm

CHRISTIAN BIBLE COLLEGE
    Station Square Suite 227
    Rocky Mount, North Carolina 27804
    (919) 442-1211

The president of Christian Bible College, Cecil Johnson, lists his credentials as the "D.D.; D.R.E.; Lit.D.; Th.D.; Ph.D." With all of these doctorates either there's something fishy here, or he's been in school longer than most of us have been alive. The school claims accreditation by the Eastern Accrediting Association of Colleges, Universities, and Seminaries; the American Accrediting Association of Theological Institutions (of which, conveniently enough, the executive director is also Cecil Johnson); and the Southern Accrediting Association of Christian Schools, none of which are legitimate agencies. They operate under a standard exemption that frees them from state licensure. Their 12-page brochure includes an endorsement from evangelist Jack Van Impe ("LL.D.; D.D.; Th.D.; Ph.D."), which shows that even the endorsement of well-known persons in ministry don't attest to the credibility of an institution. ..." http://www.christianbiblecollege.org/page9.html
    Rocky Mount, NC 27804

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

So, is Andersonville's ACI accreditation "real accreditation"?? Not according to Walston and Baker as I recall [​IMG]

It is not true that churches in all denominations accept any accreditation.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Camilla, Georgia
    Graduated 5-11-1996
    Master of Theology Degree

Camilla, Georgia
    Graduated 11-1-1996
    Doctor of Pastoral Theology Degree

===

At Andersonville it took him LESS THAN SIX MONTHS from masters **THROUGH** doctorate?? Who could say that Andersonville does not demand just gobs and gobs of substance and rigor??? That's a doc to be real proud of!

Give me the degree,
    but little work please.
    Not too proud- me,
    to do with ease!

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I got a reply (two replies in fact) to my email to Slidell Baptist Seminary. In the very angry reply, Dr Dabdoub accused me of not believing the Word of God (because I said that a seminary should use more than just the Bible) and of wasting time worrying about useless issues. He said that I should stop attacking, what he called, a "great institution". He claimed that his school has graduates who are leaders in the Southern Baptist Convention, and Presidents of "major Baptist seminaries". However, though I did not say this in my reply to his two emails, I have never even heard of his school. I am aware of the past education of many of the SBC leaders and I have never once seen Slidell Baptist Seminary in their background (maybe I missed it though).

His reply has saddened my heart. If I were looking for a seminary, I would not look to Slidell. After this exchange that I am 100% sure of.

Martin.

15. UZThD

UZThD New Member

slide by slidell

16. Broadus

Broadus Member

Sounds like "Doctor" Dabdoub is more than a bit defensive and a bit of a bully to boot. Who are these SBC leaders who received degrees from Slidell? Who are these presidents of major Baptist seminaries? If they claim such a bogus institution for granting their credentials, then much is being said about their character. Of course, if these "great" people do not exist, then good ole "Doctor" Dabdoub is revealed as someone who tells not the truth. What I would like to know is how much he financially benefits from Slidell Baptist "Seminary."

Bill

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like you got what you paid for.

18. rustynail

rustynail New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies that I'm getting. I had e-mailed the seminary earlier today to "inquire" why I had not received the "Bachelor of Theology" and to let "Dr." Dabdoub know I would report SBS to the Better Business Bureau of New Orleans, of which Slidell Baptist Seminary is a member of, if I don't receive my degree by Feb. 14. I also received an angry reply back from Paul Dabdoub that he knew that when he accepted me as a student, that "I" was the one who has a bad temper, and that he was hesitant to accept me into the Masters degree program. (This really breaks my heart, not earning a $650 Masters degree, or a M.Div. for $850) [​IMG] Dr.
    Dabdoub then referred me to ATS of which he is a graduate of, earning a Master to a Doc in 6 months. Wow, what a concept! A degree mill referring me to another degree mill. Even though I've seen the debates on whether ATS is a degree mill or not.

19. rustynail

rustynail New Member

All right, I just got another reply from Dr. Dabdoub, and everything is squared away now, and he will be sending my degree this week. As mentioned earlier, I am using these courses to furhter my understanding of the Bible and doctrine, and I really have received a better understanding of the individual books of the Bible. There are 20 courses that comprise each level, and we either get to choose our own courses or have the seminary pick our courses.

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "he will be sending my degree this week"

Well, congradulations on your degree (even though you had to basically threaten legal action to get it). Can I ask you some questions? You said:

"I really have received a better understanding of the individual books of the Bible."

What did these classes involve, if you don't mind me asking. Dr Dabdoub told me, in a third email, that students general take about "50 pages of notes per course". Is that true? Are there study guides with the courses? I know you said audio tapes, what kind? Is he the speaker? I noticed you called Slidell a degree mill, and I agree, do you believe a doctors degree from that school is a real doctorate degree? I think I know the answer to that last question, just had to throw it in there.

The whole situation with Slidell is sad.

Martin.