1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slingin' Sammy Baugh dies at 94

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Bob Alkire, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Sammy Baugh has always been to me the greatest player to ever play in the NFL. Best Qb, one of the best Db, and one of the best punters ever to play the game.
    He was the last surviving member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's inaugural class of 1963.
    He played the game, the best all-around player in an era when versatility was essential. In 1943, he led the league in passing, punting and interceptions. In one game, he threw four touchdowns and also intercepted four passes. He threw six touchdowns passes in a game twice. His 51.4-yard punting average in 1940 remains the NFL record.
    He holds the Redskins records for career touchdown passes (187) and completion percentage in a season (70.3). And his 31 interceptions on defense are third on the team's career list.
    Was also a little witty,
    After the Redskins' 73-0 loss to the Chicago Bears in the 1940 championship, a writer asked if the outcome would have been different had an end not dropped an early touchdown pass.
    "Yeah," drawled Baugh. "It would have been 73-7."

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, someone else who remembers Sammy. He was a great one in an era when they played because they loved to play and not for money.

The story I heard about the 73-0 loss went like this: the Red Skins sat in the stands the day before the game and watched the Bears work out. They could do that back then.

One of the Redskin players was asked after the game, "When do you think you fellows lost the game?"

He replied, "Yesterday, watching them practice." :laugh:

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

That is a good remark.

As a child in the 40's and 50's I loved Sammy Baugh ,Ted Williams and Gene Autry, my father would get on me about here worship.

Don Maynard use to say,"There's nobody any better than Sam Baugh was in pro football." He also said, "When I see somebody picking the greatest player around, to me, if they didn't go both ways, they don't really deserve to be nominated. I always ask, 'Well, how'd he do on defense? How was his punting?'" I agree with Don but Don was a west Texas guy also and his view might have been colored a little for his hero.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I would love to have been able to have watched Sammy Baugh and Sid Luckman go head to head, from what I've read and heard.

Incidentally, did Joe Pa and Bobby Bowden coach those two in college?

Or does it just seem that way?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008