1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sloan, former Baylor president, tapped to lead Houston Baptist University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Baptist Believer, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.abpnews.com/www/1287.article

HOUSTON (ABP) -- Robert Sloan, controversial former president of Baylor University, appears poised to assume the presidency of Houston Baptist University, a conservative school affiliated with the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention.

The HBU presidential search committee recommended Sloan at a special called meeting of the university's board of trustees Aug. 1. The board will reconvene Aug. 8 to vote on the recommendation. Sloan currently serves as Baylor's chancellor.

If elected, Sloan will succeed Doug Hodo, who served as HBU's second president from 1987 until his retirement in July. During Hodo's tenure, HBU's endowment grew from $30 million to more than $75 million, and the school's total unrestricted revenue increased from about $13.3 million a year to $33.3 million.

Also during his time as HBU president, the university took steps to loosen its ties to the Baptist General Convention of Texas. HBU trustees voted in May 2000 to create a self-perpetuating majority on their board, rather than continuing to allow the BGCT to elect all its trustees. And three years later, HBU entered into a fraternal relationship with the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention, a fundamentalist group that broke away from the BGCT.

BGCT Executive Director Charles Wade praised the HBU search committee for its recommendation and said his "great hope" and expectation is that Sloan's election as president would strengthen the relationship between HBU, the BGCT, its churches and its other institutions.

"The experience and passion for Christian education Robert Sloan would bring to the role as Houston Baptist University's president signals a great future for this important institution, which is in such a strategic place in our state," Wade said.

Before becoming Baylor's president, Sloan was dean of the university's Truett Theological Seminary. He served on the Baylor religion faculty from 1983 to 1995, and he taught at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary from 1980 to 1983.

Sloan holds a bachelor's degree from Baylor, a master of divinity degree from Princeton Theological Seminary, and a doctorate in theology from the University of Basel, Switzerland.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alumni Repsonses

To all who have an ear:

I would love to get some responses from alumni of Baylor and Houston Baptist on this seemingly "done deal" pick for the new presidency.

Whatsayye?:wavey:

sdg!

rd

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am neither an alumnus of Baylor or of Houston Baptist, but I am an alumnus of a sister Texas Baptist school...

I think Sloan's potential move to HBU will be a very positive thing. I didn't like the way they railroaded Sloan out of Baylor. I know some of the players (and a few of them were members of my church until they split off to start another congregation last fall) who did a lot of the politicing behind the scenes, and I don't trust their opinions at all. They showed themselves to be liars and manipulators within our congregation, and they used the same tactics against Sloan at Baylor.

Sloan brings impeccable scholarship, combined with a belief that one can confess the Christian faith as truth without sacrificing free inquiry. He can help HBU find its niche and fulfill its mission more effectively.

#3 Baptist Believer, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  4. RandR

RandR New Member

I agree with BB and will add these thoughts...

Sloan will not likely find the same opposition to "faith and learning" at HBU that he encountered at Baylor. Hodo had already begun to emphasize that kind of "holistic" approach before he retired.

Baylor's loss is HBU's gain. Even if a whole bunch of Baylor faculty and one particularly vitriolic constituent group refuse ever to realize it.

5. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

It will be interesting to see how Sloan handles the whole BGCT/SBTC issue. Baylor is tied very tightly to the BGCT and HBU has strengthened its ties to the SBTC, although I think they also have ties to the BGCT. I dont think the SBTC really likes to share so....

6. RandR

RandR New Member

Jimmy,

I didn't realize that HBU had any formal ties to the SBTC. I thought they entered into "fraternal relationship" with the SBTC.

I seem to recall that HBU's relationship with the BGCT is no different structurally from Baylor's. The convention elects one-fourth of the board and the school elects three-fourths.

I would imagine that from HBU's perspective, it is a wise PR move to have a "fraternal relationship" with the state convention that the two largest churches (read: most potential students) relate to.

I really doubt politics will play an issue in HBU's future under Sloan unless staunch BGCT loyalists make it one.