1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Small churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 17, 2014.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know of at least one small church in our town that is not dead and is striving mightily to reach the lost. It will never be a large church as that decision has been made. When it reaches a certain size it will become two churches.

One of the downsides of the church growth movement has been the killing off of small churches as one in town becomes the local mega, and another downside is that we forgot as we grow to also multiply.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I agree. We've recently taken steps to do just that in our church. How big do you think is "too big"?

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I previously said, we attend a large church although I prefer small churches. Several times I’ve ran into someone who asked “are you a guest?” Turns out we both have been going there for over 5 years and have never met. I’ve come to realize the emphasis on small groups in these types of churches. This is where the fellowship, accountability, and community exists in large churches.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

So, what is that magic number? And, will that number be the same for all of us?

I understand the rationale for forming a new congregation when that number is reached. But it may not work in every locality.

Here's why. I live in the Western part of Kentucky. There is a Baptist church of one stripe or another almost on every corner, it seems. In a five-mile stretch on our road there are two Independent Baptist churches and three Southern Baptist churches. I'm guessing that anyone in my county can reach a Baptist church within 20 minutes.

So, is there a need to plant new churches in an area like this?

If there is, please explain why?

There are plenty of unchurched people around us. Would they possibly attracted to a new church plant when they weren't attracted to any of the existing churches.

This is an important subject to discuss. I am eager to hear more.

5. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Tom, I live in a similar type area, a number of Baptist churches everywhere, these thoughts below have helped me understand better the need to plant even in the "Bible Belt"

6. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

200 is that church's maximum goal, although if feasible they will split at 100.

This is a poverty area--not many sound evangelical churches--and also mountainous terrain.

Many people probably would attend with a church in walking distance (poverty means many have no cars.)

Our town is small in population but spread out up several canyons and on a couple of benches. Often a simple 7-10 minute drive across town is treacherous. Multiplying means churches more easily in reach.

Splits would also allow for cultural diversity. We are not all English speakers here. We have some very distinct ethnicities that potentially could be better served if the language/culture/music were their own.

And part of the goal is to grow more capable leaders.

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Some small church pastors have it right in that they are satisfied where God has placed them in ministering to the Christians in the church. It depends on the pastor's real motives. Too many pastors are really trying to increase the size of their church to enhance their careers. Perhaps these pastors have even convinced themselves that their main motive is to reach souls. You seldom hear of a pastor who does not have to leave, being called to a smaller church with less opportunities for advancement.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread- has gotten way off OP Drfuss has brought back somewhat. I do agree that some pastors may see only themselves as the force of the chruch.

However, I am talking about pastors who will make excuses as to why their church is not growing. I do understand there may be reasons in some situation - but a church needs to grow spiritually - and this is NOT happening in some churches.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree....so how does a church grow in spirituality?

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When members can attend regularly yet comfortably remain aloof, then I think it's gotten too big.

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

So you believe it could vary from church to church, depending on commitment to community and fellowship? Just asking ... believe it or not, a legitimate question! :laugh:

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do people have to do with it? Isn't it about your relationship with Christ?

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT CHURCHES GETTING TOO BIG!!!

IT IS ABOUT SMALL CHURCHES THAT ARE NOT GROWING SPIRITUALLY AND OR NUMERICALLY.

Why are some pastors content with what they have, and no desire to see any growth?

For those of you who want to discuss when big is too big - click here for new thread.

#53 Salty, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This answer is more from the view of the person attending the church and not the pastor or their ambitons! Sorry!

You can look at this two ways .... you can be a big fish in a little pond, or a little fish in a big pond! Not every pastor with a large church will end up like Warren, or Osteen, or DuPlantis!

There are good large churches, and good small churches. I think some people like a large, mega church because it is where the action is, because they can get lost, and they can count it as going to church each week, without the need to volunteer and help out. Also, a mega church can carry a name and that looks good on a personal resume and in name dropping sessions with peers!

I have come across people, new to the community who asked me, where is a large church witha good name and a solid pastor. Most of these folks want to be associated with a thriving church, because it may help them and their business such as a person in sales, and getting ots of good contacts!

Me, I prefer a more intimate church. If it has a few hundred folks, that is my niche in life.

The problem with small is, it is not as valueable to be associated with, if you are a social climber.

Then there is the small, but large church, in a small town! In a small community, maybe a church of 250 is like a mega church! It all depends on the person and their slant on what is important and more importantly why it is important!

As for a pastor .... maybe they want to tend to the flock they have in a more intimate manner, and a large group would hinder their ability to nurture the folks and really get to know them. Other pastors may be dead on the vine and their fruits may be bearing them out!

I look forward to more answers. Thanks for the OP!

#54 righteousdude2, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
  15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wouldn't vary significantly, and not on the basis of commitment, but on feasibility. No matter how committed one is, there are only so many relationships that can be maintained, and I'm not talking about close relationships.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and about how you build up others.

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Yes it is but it is also a fellowship of believers.

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

I agree 100%. How do you feel about large churches adopting a small-groups program?

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be a new one for me. What church does that?

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Often mentioned but never displayed. NOT REALLY!

No thats not true.....I once saw it this played in 1999 but now the guys dead. I now live in a post Christian environment.