1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Smashing the "T" out of TULIP

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God expected NOTHING from those whom he chose to save in and by the death of jesus for their behalf, for while we were yet sinners, Jesus died for the ungodly!

ALL that God required of them was to receive Jesus thru faith, and that He also provided unto them!

Once saved by His grace and mercy, He will make syure they are kept saved, as its His predestined plan and direct action towarsds the reddemed that ALL will be confirmed into likeness of jesus, NONE will ever get lost/unelected!

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    According to his sermon, he is not sure what he believes. Or he is blinded to his own contradictions.

3. Herald

Herald New Member

This is the infralapsarian view. I know. Big word. I believe it is an inconsistent view of the doctrines of grace.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take it that you are a "high' cal, one holding to a Supra view in this, more akin to a strictly reformed position?

5. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, we often are confused by eliminating what D. Elton Trueblood called "the holy conjunction"..."and"...thus we eliminate paradox from our feeble attempts at understanding.

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

I believe Trueblood was talking about the balance between service to both God and man, evangelism and social action, heart and mind. Not God's sovereignty and man's responsibility. But Charles H. Spurgeon's sermon #207 certainly make that point.

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0207.htm

Delivered on Sabbath Morning, August 1, 1858, by the
    REV. C. H. Spurgeon
    at the Music Hall, Royal Surrey Gardens​

If any man be saved, he is saved by Divine grace, and by Divine grace alone; and the reason of his salvation is not to be found in him, but in God. We are not saved as the result of anything that we do or that we will; but we will and do as the result of God's good pleasure, and the work of his grace in our hearts. No sinner can prevent God; that is, he cannot go before him, cannot anticipate him; God is always first in the matter of salvation. He is before our convictions, before our desires, before our fears, before our hopes. All that is good or ever will be good in us, is preceded by the grace of God, and is the effect of a Divine cause within.

The system of truth is not one straight line, but two. No man will ever get a right view of the gospel until he knows how to look at the two lines at once. I am taught in one book to believe that what I sow I shall reap: I am taught in another place, that "it is not of him that willeth nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy." I see in one place, God presiding over all in providence; and yet I see, and I cannot help seeing, that man acts as he pleases, and that God has left his actions to his own will, in a great measure. Now, if I were to declare that man was so free to act, that there was no presidence of God over his actions, I should be driven very near to Atheism; and if, on the other hand, I declare that God so overrules all things, as that man is not free enough to be responsible, I am driven at once into Antinomianism or fatalism. That God predestines, and that man is responsible, are two things that few can see. They are believed to be inconsistent and contradictory; but they are not. It is just the fault of our weak judgment. Two truths cannot be contradictory to each other. If, then, I find taught in one place that everything is fore-ordained, that is true; and if I find in another place that man is responsible for all his actions, that is true; and it is my folly that leads me to imagine that two truths can ever contradict each other. These two truths, I do not believe, can ever be welded into one upon any human anvil, but one they shall be in eternity: they are two lines that are so nearly parallel, that the mind that shall pursue them farthest, will never discover that they converge; but they do converge, and they will meet somewhere in eternity, close to the throne of God, whence all truth doth spring.

In the first five minutes of his sermon that day, I'm sure Spurgeon spoke to a dead-silent hall. Parties of both persuasions had to be enthralled that Spurgeon, the great pastor, theologian, author and orator, was condemning both their understandings, telling them both that they incessantly and stubbornly looked at only one side of a single coin. The sermon is masterful, and should silence the debate forever.

But of course, it didn't, it won't, and the dumb arguments will continue.

:godisgood:

... but sometimes His followers are as dense as hedge posts.