1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Smoking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mark Osgatharp, Dec 5, 2005.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Its strange what tobacco will do to one man and not to another!! Your late great, great-uncle definetely beat the odds----mine didn't!

Passing safely through Mustard Gas and then no telling how much inhaled carcinagens from tobacco smoke---doesn't guarantee anyone else anything else!!!

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

lol...Blackbird. Well you posted a true anecdote, I posted one in return. And no, nothing in life is guaranteed.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thats so true, NiteShift!!!

And I do miss that favorite Uncle---I know his home is in GloryLand now---and I can hardly wait to see him again!!

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

C.S. Lewis smoked. Therefore, smoking is the unpardonable sin.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Blackbird, thanks for bringing up encouragement for people NOT to smoke!
    It was irresponsible of us NOT to do that.

While it's arguable, and imo wrong, to think that only very weak people or the unsaved have this habit, I definitely do NOT want to give the impression that I believe it's good and/or harmless.

I would hope that anyone who doesn't never starts. Ever. It IS a major health risk, and although some people can do it and never seem to suffer consequences, they are not the majority.

Like another poster here, I never really felt convicted to quit, but I did know it was unhealthy and therefore a very unwise choice. Some people get addicted, some can handle it without a true addiction, but it's not worth trying it out to see which category you fall in!

I do encourage churches to have a smoking cessation/ways to cut down on the habit program. So many simply rail against it and never offer any support, which leaves many feeling guilty and attempting to hide it. I was always amazed to find out how many members DO smoke, and how many would do so much better and be more likely to quit with the encouragement and support of fellow Christians rather than simply hearing a guilt-inducing rant on it once in a while.

6. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

I looked through the several pages of this posting and did not see anything about Charles Spurgeon's view of smoking(not that he is akin to an Apostle) but it is interesting none the less:

IFBReformer
    http://www.ifbreformation.org

7. cojosh

cojosh New Member

*****If I say smoking is a sin, then along the same logic I have to say eating red meat is a sin. Why? Because if you eat too much it will eventually clog your arteries and cause a heart attack. But how much red meat is too much? It depends on your genes. But hey, if it can be abused, and can hurt some people than it must be wrong right?********

I don't think red meat should be compared to tobacco. Don't get me wrong, food can be abused just like tobacco. The fact is that they serve two differnet purposes. We have to eat and God has blessed all matter of beast(Acts 11). No where does scripture discourage or ENCOURAGE it. Tobacco in itself serves no purpose. What good can come out of smoking, dipping, chewing?

8. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Since I am not a smoker I will have to go out on a limb based on my observation of relatives who smoke.

Smoking seems to have a relaxing quality to the people who use it(just like it did for Spurgeon). Are there other things that could help you relax? Of course. But just because there are other things with less potential(and is just that - potentital) for damaging your body does not make smoking wrong.

You can get protein from vegetables without ever eating meat, infact there are plenty of Vegetarian sites that show exactly how to get all the nutrients you need without ever eating meat. Does this mean because meat has the potential to cause damage to our bodies and because we could get everything we need from fruits and vegies that we should not eat meat?

You see you are falling into the old trap of "if it is not necessary and has the potential for abuse then we should not do it" ideology.

There are many things that become sin only when it is abused.

For instance intimate relations between a man and woman within the context of marriage is good.

But outside the marriage it is a sin against God.

Take for instance playing video games. Some people find them relaxing, while others it just makes their head spin. Video games have the potential to cause harm if one over exposes himself to them(hours and hours on end).

But when used in moderation, people can find relaxtion in video games.

There are many things in life, that some can do without but still others enjoy. If that thing does not hold the power over you, and if the act itself does not cause you sin or cause someone else to sin then the act is acceptable before God.

Again, just because something has the potential for abuse(whatever it may be) does not make that item in and of itself sinful.

9. cojosh

cojosh New Member

*******You see you are falling into the old trap of "if it is not necessary and has the potential for abuse then we should not do it" ideology******

I don't think I'm falling into any trap, in fact, I believe I'm keeping myself from falling into a trap. Tobacco is a type of drug. That's why it is so relaxing.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is another factor involved in the Christians's decision to smoke.

One's health: From the CDC National Center For Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/research_data/health_consequences/andths.htm

HankD

11. David Singleton

David Singleton New Member

As Christians, we need first rid our lives of our own addictions before we can approach others about theirs. Should an extreamly obease man addicted to food be justified to condemn a man addicted to tobacco? What right does a habitual liar have to accuse the TV holic. All have sinned... We first need to ensure that our own yard is free from junk before we tell our neighbor to clean up his!

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. There is another motivation which is proper.

"Love one another".

Not to throw stones but to pour in oil and wine.

As children of God we owe each other a debt of love not as a condemning judge and jury but as a brother/sister to come alongside to help.

HankD

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

If we each wait until we're perfect to help someone else, then we will never help anyone.