1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

snake handlers.... and worship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tinytim, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

When I first moved to Michigan back in the 50's. I went into a grocery store and asked for a "poke". They looked at me like I was crazy and I couldn't figure out why! I thought to myself, "these people don't know anglish". :)

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That reminds me of the time when we moved to the south and some ladies were discussing drinking soda water. My wife asked me about why anyone would drink soda water. She had never heard that expression before.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It has been many years, but from what I remember it was a stimulant if taken in small amounts. Of course if the person took too much it would have been obvious.

I never took any drugs or stimulants. I just trained hard and still won a lot of races. At the time a company approached me and asked me to ride in a race representing them. During one of our conversations they approached me about taking some things and I was shocked. I had already won a lot of races and they approached me. When they approached me again I told them I wanted nothing to do with their invitation. I had actually considered racing in that event but when I was approached by them then I did not even consider the event any longer. When I told some of my friends I was surprised at their reaction. Several encouraged me to go along with them.

4. Accountable

Accountable New Member

I know this has nothing to do with the thread but you mentioned that your pastor is 100 years old.

Is he the pastor of your church? If so, that is amazing! I believe the LORD is coming soon but if He was to wait, I could only hope to be as blessed!

5. Accountable

Accountable New Member

I'm from Tennessee and I we would have been in a geap of trouble if or grocerymen didn't know what a poke was! How would have ever gotten all those potatoes and greens home?:laugh:

Out of curiosity, how many here have eaten polk salad?

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You spelled it incorrectly.....it's polk salat! Or poke salat! :laugh: :laugh:

I've never eaten it, but my parents have. I've pulled up my share though and thrown it in the weed pile!

7. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

That's so dumb. Where's he supposed to study if he don't have an office?

Some people!

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Good one, Pipedude! Mark one up for the Pipedude! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive my English, senor. This man has gone home to be with the Lord, just last month, at the ripe old age of 103.
    I always call him my pastor, out of respect for his age and love for him, and he also was the former pastor of that church.
    When this thing with the snake happened, I was pastoring the church.
    He was retired.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I handle snakes....

.... with a shovel or machete. :laugh:

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always thought you just needed to spit chewed tobacco juice on them Texas rattlers, bro.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We eat almost anything growing up, and we were thankful. :laugh: :laugh:

As Bill Cosby says; we walk up hill to school, both ways! :)

#32 Brother Bob, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Snake handlers

I used to go to church with an old man, Brother Cecil Fields, and he knew a man who would go to church anywhere at least once. If he didn't like it, he wouldn't go back. Well one time he wanted to go to a snake handling church. His son took him and the old man set up front. When they got to the part of the service where they did the actual handling of the snakes and the drinking of the strictnine, they started with their dancing and jumping. In the process of doing this, they were jumping all over his feet. The old man hollered at his son and told him, "Come and get me, this ain't no place for a one eyed man!!"

As for the OP, I have never been to a service where they did this, but my in-laws told me that at one time, right above where we live, there used to be a snake-handling church. To me, this is tempting God. I know there is a verse where it talks about handling serpents and drinking "poisonous stuff" and it won't harm you. Also, in the book of Acts where Apostle Paul is bitten by a snake and he shakes it off in the fire. I still don't see where handling snakes adds on cubit tp the glorifying of God. I may be wrong, but I just don't see it.....

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Snake handlers

I watched a documentary on 60 minutes one time that was hosted by, I think, Mike Wallace. They showed them handling snakes and drinking the strictnine and such. They allowed Mike to take some of the strictnine and he had it tested and it was pure. But, people claim that if you take it in small sips, just like they do in the service, your body will actually build up tolerance to it. I haven't done this, but I may ask Brother Bob to do this for me. LOL:laugh: :laugh: One time on the Three Stooges, Larry gave Curly a piece of cheese. After Curly ate it, Larry asked him if he felt dizzy, saw spots, go weak, to which Curly said "no" each time. Larry said, " I know I should have put more rat poison in the cheese!" Brother Bob, you interested in a "Lab experinment?" Just kidding Brother Bob. I love you way too much to do that to you!!

15. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Mice and rats don't live in Alaska? Hmmmm...moving may not be that bad of an idea...

Anybody ever watch a History Channel special on snake-handlers? Interesting stuff.