1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So if there is no hell*, from what are we being saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jkdbuck76, Jul 5, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

here are some reasons;

Nevertheless I have [somewhat] against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables

While there may be more in numbers making claims I don't believe there is more in substance.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mt 7:13-14 is prophetic, spoken by 'the Prophet, and directed to 'that generation' of Jews on whom the 'consummation of the age' was coming. 'Few are they that find it' is reminiscent of 'the Exodus (or wilderness) Generation' whose numbers have been estimated as high as 2.5 million and of which only two (2) (Joshua and Caleb ) of that generation were allowed to enter into the promised land. The rest entered not in because of unbelief. Even Moses and Aaron entered not in because of unbelief. The Exodus Generation is used several times as examples in the NT. I believe Christ is alluding to it here in the Sermon on the Mount meaning that few would be the number of Jews that would find or enter into the sabbath rest of Heb 4:9.

Question for you Ann:

Do you believe “few there be that find it” and “many are they that enter in thereby” denotes free will on the part of those finding life or walking the road to destruction?

#42 kyredneck, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
  3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I completely disagree with your assessment of this section of the Sermon on the Mount, and also you alluding to the consummation at 70. a.d. (I'm assuming you mean 70 a.d.)

I've read absolutely zero commentators, out of many, that even come close to this type of reasoning out of the sermon on the mount. R C Sproul is doing a great series now debunking this preterism and exposing its sources, from whence it came, and its errors. You should listen to them (not to change your mind) but as to know what he is saying. Just look up Ligonier Ministries. "Crisis in Eschatology" is the first message of the series.

I do like Martyn Lloyd-Jones on this also.

Which theologians do you have that support this?

Does your church preach the Gospel evangelistically? Support missions?

Just asking for clarification.

Also, to the OP. There is a hell. Symbolism always being weaker than what it represents is my belief. And, He came to save us from our sins, not from hell. Take it this way: no one really wants to go to hell (excluding the tough guy nonsense) so they would love to be saved from that, but, not too many want to be saved from their sins, accept of course, for His elect.

Missing the Hell part is just a bonus.

- Peace

#43 preacher4truth, Jul 14, 2011
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - This is the first time I've ever heard this sort of an explanation and I think I know why. It's because the text has NOTHING to support this idea. Do you have any theologians who teach this?

Absolutely.

5. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Aion

Strong’s Concordance gives this definition for the word “aion:”
    1) for ever, an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity 2) the worlds, universe 3) period of time, age.

Some believe that punishment is just for a period of time, an age, so if you believe that then eternal life is just for a period of time, an age. So you are being saved from a period of time, an age of punishment.

#45 psalms109:31, Jul 14, 2011
  6. preacher4truth

There's a Bible Version out there that replaces "eternal life" with "length of days." So basically we get an extension on our years here. :wavey:

Yeah right.

I can't remember which "version" this is, but I believe it was an add-on Bible Module for e-sword. There were many other heretical modules being promoted by a site (e-sword-users.org) where this version was found.

Anyhow, its "interpretation" is utterly erroneous. Liberal theology has lended to this and other unfortunate misinterpretations of the Word.

- Peace

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Just need to think Biblical on this!
    IF hell is "gone when burned" than where would there really be justice for what satan hitler mao etc have all done?

Also, doesn't Bible use same age term for both duration of life in Christ and time in Hell to come?

Also, why wouldn't we see eternal life as in Christ as being "long but limited"?

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK.

OK. Is it a requirement with you to have commentators on your side?

You don't know what you're talking about p4t, period. You've gotten anxious to humiliate the Preterist view (or me), jumped the gun, and wrongly represented Sproul. Sproul is soundly, firmly in the Sovereign Grace Preterist camp.

Take your own advice and go back and listen not only to the first, but also the second message of the series:

http://www.myspace.com/video/philos/crisis-in-eschatology/53902268

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/53902527

....try not to get choked on the crow.

See also:

http://www.preteristarchive.com/StudyArchive/s/sproul-rc_sr.html

Concerning Mt 7:13-14 none that I know of, I haven't looked. It's not a requirement with me. See my signature.

Your totally out of line here.

Oh, is that what it is? It sounds to me like you're lashing out in any way you can in order to discredit the Preterist view, like attacking my Church. Does it worry you that much?

Concerning Mt 7:13,14, do you believe it's referring to eternity in heaven or hell?

Do you believe “few there be that find it” and “many are they that enter in thereby” denotes free will?

[edit] Sproul, like me, is a PARTIAL Preterist.

#48 kyredneck, Jul 14, 2011
  9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you see support in the text for eternal consequences in heaven or hell?

Concerning Mt 7:13-14 none that I know of, I haven't looked. It's not a requirement with me. See my signature.

I thought you were Calvinist. If you see free will AND eternal consequences here, how do you reconcile the contradiction?

10. preacher4truth

Simmer down there fellow. No crow to eat here. I've listened to them, hint, so I asked you to do the same. He is a partial, not this preterism or unorthodox theory you spout. That's my point.

Do I need commentary to support everything and by my side? Nope. But I am wise enough to see error and know it. No commentator supports your theory that I know of. So I await. Maybe you should get some commentary? It might not hurt.

If I am so "out of line" why not prove it and answer the question?

I ask again, does your church preach evangelisticly the Gospel? Support missions?

Nothing out of line with asking that. Most would jump to gladly answer.

You? Not so much.

11. mandym

mandym New Member

How did a thread on hell get turned into a thread about, of all things, preterism?

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So did you lie when you made this statement?:

" R C Sproul is doing a great series now debunking this preterism and exposing its sources, from whence it came, and its errors."

13. preacher4truth

Answer my question that has you so twisted, which really amazes me, because it shouldn't.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Google Primitive Baptist (as if you haven't already).

#54 kyredneck, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  15. mandym

mandym New Member

Wow! I wonder how that flies with the posting rules or just Christian behavior in general?

#55 mandym, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  16. JesusFan

Beauty of the BB!

Eventually all OP postings eventually get around to either cal Vrs Arm Gifts Vrs No Gifts or else eschatology!

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

R.C. Sproul is a preterist? I did not know that. Now I have even more to disagree with him about. :tongue3:

Why is it that there seems to be a connection among Cals to the preterist doctrine?

18. mandym

mandym New Member

Because in both cases you have to read so much into scripture that it gives the hyper intellectuals a sense of self accomplishment. Hence the arrogance and accusations of stupidity when one disagrees with them. A rather Pharisaical attitude.

19. JesusFan

Think that you tend to see this much more prevalent in reformed cals circles than Baptist Cal circles though!

20. preacher4truth

heheh?

You don't get it. He doesn't agree with your theory. That's my point.

Nor do many other noted theologians.

Why not just answer the questions? Put it out there like you do the rest.

You got all twisted that I asked it, I still find that amazing.

- Peace