1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So-the speed of light may not be constant after all

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Don, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://phys.org/news/2013-03-ephemeral-vacuum-particles-speed-of-light-fluctuations.html
    Okay, science and math types - if this is proven true, then I am assuming from what they're saying that a massive surge of energy--and I mean, *massive*--could have an effect on the actual speed of light particles. Further, if this is proven true, it seems to me that what they're saying is that light particles are slowed the further they travel. So on the one hand, based on the article, it seems as if they're saying that supercharging the particles will cause them to travel faster; while distance will slow them.

Am I misinterpreting what they're saying?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't science already presuppose theexistence of tacheyon particles, that move FTL?

And haven't there been tests where labs have been shown able to slow/speed up light speed?

Could light speed up in space? is it wrong to assume a standand speed all the time?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on two things:
    1) what is the Speed limit
    2) is it enforced by Homeland security?
    :saint: :D :rolleyes:

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

"attosecond", 1x10^-18 or 1 quintillionth of a second. Just thought I would add my two cents. :)

This to me is the "neat" thing about science, although there are often cherished positions, experimentation and investigation goes on challenging our current assumptions.

I might add some of the discussion following the article is quite interesting. Wished I had majored in physics.

#4 quantumfaith, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  5. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure this is any great claim. We have known since the discovery of refractive index of the medium in 1850 that light can be slowed by water or glass. So is "c" constant, yes it is in a vaccume as long as there is nothing else to interfere with it. Distance and color has to also be a factor.
    I would also point out that the chages are usually very minute depending on the medium.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There's nothing to suggest that the speed of light would be able to reduce to a place to support YEC claims. What the article and research are pointing out is that, when filters or a lens are placed in an object transmitting/reflecting/refracting light there is a minor deviation in the speed at which the light travels.

It is intriguing. The comments below the article are really good and worth your reading if you want to have the view expanded/explained/explored more thoroughly. :)