1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So What 'cha Think...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Apr 1, 2015.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...about that law passed in Illinois and Arkansas? That Religious Freedom law.

Good? Bad? Indifferent?

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would not knowingly bake a cake for a gay wedding. Or cater the food, or do the flowers, etc.

That doesn't mean I would screen people at the door and not sell a doughnut to a gay person. Doesn't mean that at all.

But I would not do a gay wedding. To me that is participating in their sin for filthy lucre and Romans 2 would address my sin.

If necessary, I would continue being a baker and simply stop offering any wedding cakes.

That might really reduce my profits, but so be it.

3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its good although it is also quite telling that we have to make a law to remind people that the 1st amendment is still a right people have.

4. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry--posted a reply intended for the thread re the baker in the wrong spot. As to the religious freedom laws, I don't think they go far enough. We've had them on the federal level since 93 and yet the florists and bakers were punished.

Especially chilling to me is the fact the gay lobby isn't content with tolerance and legal rights. Now they seem to want to force everyone to participate in their evil deeds at some level. Otherwise why not just utilize bakers, florists, etc that have no problem serving them. Why go after those who's faith forbids them from serving them?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think it's great but I think it's only a matter of time before standing on our religious beliefs will be completely thought of as hate and we will be punished. This includes teaching homosexuality is wrong from the pulpit, not marrying homosexual couples or letting them on staff at our churches. :(

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said the world would hate us because it hated Him.

If you ask what motivates the opponents of bills like this and the constitutional principle they are intended to protect... and keep asking "why?"... eventually you get down to one thing. That one thing is hatred for biblical Christianity and its teachings on God's holiness and grace and sin and sin's punishment.

The people going nuts over this didn't even blink when videos of homosexuals being killed by Muslims came out. For years, Muslim abuse of women and girls has been widely known and reported. But somehow these folks think that people like that are just "little liberals in training".

Jesus didn't have to do anything but teach the truth, expose error/sin, and love people in order for the "haters" of His day to decide He was worthy of torture and death. Attempts to suppress and destroy biblical Christianity should not be surprising... nor should we be surprised as it gets much, much worse.

7. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

With every last bit of the hub-bub I just sit and wonder if folks have ever read past John 3:16. Anyone surprised by any of this has not read their Bible, nor sat under a qualified, intelligent presenter of the Gospel.

This agenda will be what finally brings the full weight of Satan's society down on evangelical Christians and quicken the ushering in of the false religion. And these laws are just going to fuel the fire and stoke the hate.

The good news is the greatest periods of growth in the church come during times of persecution. I think we are going to see a lot of the CINO's getting run out of the "church." Boil it all down to the those who are true in their faith and are willing to be purified in the fire. Then we will see people doing God's work and growing the church in the face of the hate. It's time American Christians get uncomfortable and have to live or die for their faith.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always wanted to hear someone ask the strident gay and lesbian person , would they be OK with being forced to cater to and officially support a Christian group like Exodus international?

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Slightly edited to conform to L.E.F.T.)

Yesterday, the local TV station did a local story about protests in the Salt City. Not once did they interview a person in favor of the law.
    And within a few miles are the State offices are the SBC, AOG, and a couple of others.
    I sent an E-mail to the TV station telling them I was sadden by how bias the report was. - Of course - there has been no answer.

10. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From here..., http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/03/31/3640801/conservatives-indiana-discrimination/ offers up the following language.

Radio host Bryan Fischer, formerly of the American Family Association, took the Christian self-victimization a step further. “This law is not something that provides for discrimination against gays,” he explained. “It is something that prevents discrimination against Christians… This thing is an anti-discrimination bill because it prohibits governmental discrimination against Christians in the state of Indiana.”

The Heritage Institute’s Ryan T. Anderson used this messaging to try to take on Apple CEO Tim Cook, who wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post this week calling these so-called “religious freedom” laws dangerous. According to Anderson, “the only person in favor of discrimination in this debate is Tim Cook.” As one of his examples, Anderson claims, “It is Tim Cook who would have the government discriminate against these citizens, have the government coerce them into helping to celebrate a same-sex wedding and penalize them if they try to lead their lives in accordance with their faith.”

I fully support this law! As it stands now, any refusal by any business owner against the wishes of any in the homosexual community for any reason immediately becomes a case of discrimination. This effort is being designed to level the playing field. What's wrong with that?

Why is it that only the LGBT folks have rights?

11. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the Indiana law was fine in its original form. Why should we as Christians tolerate one step towards approving not just the life style but making marriage the law? I really do not care what the world thinks. The fact is we have made in the Untied States the law of the land the right of abortion and in short order a ruling by the Supreme Court allowing gay marriage in 50 states. It is 37 now. IMO unless we get rid of these two sins from our national agenda, we will feel God's wrath, and that has nothing to do with end times theology.

It is really disgusting the leaders we elect. Both parties are equally guilty on these two sins. IMO the American people have failed themselves. They focus on a non existent gap between the two parties, and fail to recognize the gap between he two parties from the pits of hell and a Holy God. It is certainly obvious the Republicans are going to do nothing in making this nation a Godly one, in fact, they are more evil than the Democrats. At least the Democrats are honest about their intentions. Republicans use the two sins to pander for votes. Then after election, nothing happens.

Three cheers for the governor of Indiana for having a spine.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Revised Standard Version of the Bible

Matthew 5:38
    “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’
    Matthew 5:39 But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; Matthew 5:40 and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; Matthew 5:41 and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. Matthew 5:42 Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you.