1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So what is a fundamentalist?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by danthebaptist, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Fundamentalism is a historical movement, just like other movements one can study in a history textbook. As such, it has people, institutions, events, and documents that have been identified and cataloged by researchers.

You cannot accurately define a "fundamentalist" by analyzing the word. Instead, you have to look at what happened.

The term was coined in the '20s to refer to those who were willing to do "battle royal" for the fundamentals. It distinguished them from other Christians who believed the fundamentals, but weren't willing to fight for them in their denominations, schools, and mission boards.

Eventually the Fundamentalist movement separated from the compromising denominations and formed new institutions. But there arose within the movement some who developed a new mindset. They called themselves the New Evangelicals and announced their departure from the old Fundamentalist movement in three specific areas: (1) more emphasis on education (2) a new emphasis on social action, and (3) a strategy of infiltration rather than separation.

Today I would consider the movement to be so fragmented as to cease being a movement any longer. If I am correct, I think that the closest definition of a Fundamentalist in the 21st century would be someone who identifies with the movement's earlier militant and separatist emphases. That leaves out most evangelicals and, it seems, a fair chunk of those who today call themselves "the young fundamentalists."

2. IFB Mole

IFB Mole New Member

Pipedude,

That is a pretty good summation indeed. More than anything I guess it is more a philosophical position- a 'mindset', as you noted - than a hard and fast "definition".

3. mrsmel

mrsmel New Member

That's the first quick and simple definition I've seen that made sense to me in context of what I always understood to be fundamentalist (the militant separatist types, ie the 60s through circa 80s era), what I've recently learned to know is "historical" fundamentalism, and now the "young fundamentalists". Thanks for such a concise explanation! I know there's more nuance to it all, but this clarifies for a mere layperson :)

4. old tyme baptist

old tyme baptist New Member

Haven't been here in a while, so I doubt I'm familiar to any of you.
    I run a team blog of young fundamentalists. It is called Fundamentally Changed
    Would be glad for you folks to come by and add to our discussions. We're just getting it going, and are open to suggestions. If you have one, please leave it in the comments.

[Link to site removed. We do not permit advertising for other boards]

#44 old tyme baptist, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Interesting site.

#45 Mexdeaf, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009