1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So what is heresy?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by 4His_glory, Feb 24, 2005.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

How do we decide what is an essential? The word kingdom turns up in 150 verses in the KJV new testament, most of them in the four gospels. Christ put more emphasis on the kingdom than any other subject I can think of, yet we tend to gloss over it like it isn't there.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "So what is heresy?"

I'm not sure but it's never me, it's always the other guy.

HankD

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

[​IMG] I think thats what everyone likes to say.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think the essentials are the clear teachings of scripture that all believers agree on:
    1. The Trinity
    2. God is spirit (does not have a body)
    3. The Virgin Birth
    4. The deity of Christ
    5. The completed atonement for sins on the cross by Christ's shed blood
    6. The death and bodily resurrection of Christ

It's amazing that even on the points above, some Christians will say they are not that important (especially the Trinity).

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I see what you are saying 4His_glory. I guess we need a lingo reality check from time to time.

If I have used the H word on this board inapropriately I apologize.

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by Marcia: I think the essentials are the clear teachings of scripture that all believers agree on:
    1. The Trinity
    2. God is spirit (does not have a body)
    3. The Virgin Birth
    4. The deity of Christ
    5. The completed atonement for sins on the cross by Christ's shed blood
    6. The death and bodily resurrection of Christ

It's amazing that even on the points above, some Christians will say they are not that important (especially the Trinity).

Marcia, all those point add up to Christ. Deny any of them and you are denying the Jesus of the bible and I would say by the definition given here, that qualifies as heresy.

We do not have the same Christ as JWs' or mormons etc.

7. Sword Of The Spirit

Sword Of The Spirit New Member

On my own board, I have covered this topic, do to the fact that I too was noticing this "H" word hurled back and forth among Christian circles when I'd be sitting back disagreeing that either of them should call the other a heretick. So I will share what I posted on my board and post it here.

Ever notice how sometimes this term get's slung around so readily over just about anything, you sometimes feel it comes out of loose lips that make you wonder if it's either you or them that isn't quite sure as to what this term means and when to apply it?

First I will share what I think it means, maybe some of you agree, or disagree, or think I am leaving something out. I reserve the term Heretick for those that are so far removed in their teachings from the Gospel message, and Christ that their beliefs or practices either diminish the nature of Christ, or turn the Gospel into anything other than Christ being the way to salvation. For instance, back in the Apostle's times, the Gnostics were normally in their mind when they spoke of heretics. The reason why is because Unlike the Bible, the Gnostics taught that secret knowledge that they had, that you had to pay for by the way, earns you salvation. In addition, they stated that Christ was defied man. Some of many examples of why they were referred to as Heretics. So for me a heretic is some one that teaches and pratices things that are mostly conterary to the main tenants of christianity. I do NOT call people heretics if they hold to the main tenants, yet do not always agree with me on each and every single belief or pratice. So long as their beliefs in Christ are christian, and that salvation is obtained only through Christ, by grace through faith, I consider them a brother or sister in christ who just may not have all of my views. I don't think God is going to be handing us out a test in heaven to make sure that we all understood every single exact thing the exact same way.

Any thoughts?

Here is a compliation of verses where Heretick, heresy, heresies are mentioned...

Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

1Cor 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
    Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    2Pet 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
    Acts 24:14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Using biblical as the definition of orthodox, I would consider every Christian to be orthodox in some things and heretical in others.

Someone else may consider a person to be orthodox in the things that I consider that same person to be heretical in.

I'm sure the "relativism" lights are going off in many of your heads and yes, that is my point that some things appear relative.

While I believe there is the absolute truth of the bible, that doesn't necessarily mean that I have that absolute truth or that anyone on this planet holds that absolute truth for that matter.

[ November 27, 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Gold Dragon ]

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just noticed this topic. Very timely and informative so far. In particular, 4His_glory has done a good job. Being a bit of a linguist I like his approach. Going to the Greek usage to determine the meaning of "heretic" is vital, INHO.

Having said that, there is something missing from this topic so far, so I'll add my two yen worth. Please note that Titus 3:10 is written by an experienced older missionary pastor to help young Titus. There is a local church context here. A similar verse written to a local church with a Greek synonym is Rom. 16:17, "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."

As a missionary-pastor, I'll tell you who a heretic is to me: it is anyone who tries to cause division in my church! It's that lady who tried to split my church over baptism. It's that charismatic who lived next door to a member's family who tried to get them to quit and go to their church. It's that 5-point Calvinist missionary who wanted to work with me but said he would teach his 5 points. Let the Charismatics and Calvinists have their own churches--that's perfectly proper and right. If I go to a Charismatic church and teach against ecstatic tongues, or a Reformed Baptist Church and preach against the 5 points, they ought to kick me out for causing trouble!

There is another great Biblical term that is often confused with "heretic" and that is "false prophet." A heretic may be orthodox, but he is a heretic because he is a church splitter. On the other hand, a false prophet is a very dangerous wolf in Biblical terminology. His harm comes not from his belligerancy but his doctrine. The JWs and Mormons are false prophets, anyone teaching baptismal regeneration is a false prophet, a liberal who denies the deity of Christ is a false prophet. Why? Their teaching will send people to Hell!

And that's my two yen! [​IMG]

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I concur with John. Further I'll add twenty or so yen to John's two. That way y'all will have a nickles worth of verbage.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I hear what you are saying John, I will have to look into what you are saying. All I know is that heresy is not what many like to make it to be, but seems to be reserved for a denial of Christ. Though I disagree with Charasmatics, and I think their doctrines concering sign gifts and the Holy Spirit are flat out unbiblical, I can't biblicaly call them a heretic. That does not mean that I would engage in ministry with them.

12. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Somebody somewhere said "a heretic is someone who expresses an opinion very well.

13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't mean to abandon this topic, but I got sidetracked. it is an interesting one.

4His_glory, your right in that the term "heretic" has sometimes been used historically for a denier of Christ. However, I think the better term for that is "apostate," though it is not a strictly Biblical word.

The term "heretic" occurs in the Bible only in Titus 3:10, so we almost have to go by the Greek definition. My personal summing up of that definition is, a heretic is "one who causes division." And since the word is used to Titus, a pastor, I believe it has to refer to a division maker in the church.

Thayer's definition is:
    hairetikos {hahee-ret-ee-kos'} from the same as 140; TDNT - 1:184,27; adj
    AV - that is a heretic 1; 1
    1) fitted or able to take or choose a thing
    2) schismatic, factious, a follower of a false doctrine
    3) heretic

Liddel and Scott (classical Greek) has: (1) able to choose. (2) Heretical.

Bauer (the most recent) has: factious, causing divisions perh. heretical.

God bless.

14. standingfirminChrist

Heresy is any teaching or doctrine contrary to the doctrine 'once delivered to the saints'. Heretical teachings are easily recognized. They separate people from the Word of God and put them at odds against one another.