1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So, what's the dif between a Baptist and a Catholic anyway?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by PreacherDave, Feb 25, 2002.

1. PreacherDave

PreacherDave New Member

I noticed that there are quite a few who don't know the difference between the two (or at least don't seem to care.) Well, thought I'd throw a few enlighting points in there to stir the pot a bit.

Baptism

Baptist: Believer's baptism. This reflects the outward expression for an inward work. In other words, it is a reflection of circumcision of the heart.

Roman Catholic: Infant baptism and adult baptism. This reflects the inclusion into the covenant of the church and is thus an equivelant to circumcision of the flesh (old covenant)

The Lord's Supper or Holy Communion

Baptist: As Christ instituted, it is a celebration in remembrance of His death and resurrection. It is also a remembrance of our deliverance from sin into His everlasting covenant where we sup with Him in heavenly places. The importance is stated in 1 Cor 11.

Roman Catholic: Christ is the eternal sacrifice, celebrated and sacrificed every time the priest holds up the host and cup of wine and the sanctus bells are rung. The "elements" are actually and vicariously changed into the actual body and blood of Christ, sacrificed once again and worthy to be adored and worshipped.

Salvation by grace through faith alone

Baptist: Eph 2:4-10, "But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are save;) and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: that in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Roman Catholic: Salvation is a mixture of faith and works, whereby we must show ourselves worthy to be accepted. It is the process of mediation through the priesthood, church tradition and Christ's mediatoral work. The church is the only channel of the grace of God. This grace is transmitted through the sacraments of the church. While this has been the "official" position of the RC, the second vatican council has recognized a wider sense of the "spiritual and moral goods" found among adherents of other religions. Thus saying, other religions (including the larger Christendom) can indeed know God, yet they insist upon the exclusiveness of the church's role in salvation. The traditional Catholic position has been that union with the church is necessary for salvation to take place, because the church possesses the means of salvation. If actual union is not possible, God will accept in its stead a sincere desire for it. Thusly, the people of God are divided into three categories in accordance with their degree of involvement with the church:

1. Catholics, who are "incorporated" into the church.
    2. Non-Catholic Christians, who are "linked" to the church. While their situation is naot as secure as that of Roman Catholics, they have genuine churches and are not completely separated from God.
    3. Non-Christians, who are "related" to the church.(Those who find themselves outside of the pale of the visible church, yet call upon the name of Christ).

Thus the RC is split in its definition of the recipients of the grace of God.

("Christian Theology," by Millard Erickson, Baker Book House, 1985, pp 902-903)

A recommended reading:
    Christian Theology by Millard Erickson
    Justification by Faith Alone by R. C. Sproul

[ February 25, 2002, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: PreacherDave ]

2. javalady

javalady New Member

One thing that makes a great difference between a Bible-believing Baptist and a Roman Catholic is that Baptists hold to the Scripture as the only authority for doctrine & life. While we gain insight from history, and appreciate the writings of other Bible-believing Christians, we acknowledge that only the Bible (66 books; apocrapha not included) is the absolute Word of God.
    "Tradition" in the RCC sense is highly formed by the popes & cardinals & much of it is based on pure imagination.
    The RCC's practice of creating relics is an ideal subject for explanation. The "Shroud of Turin" is exalted by many RCC priests, etc. as being the actual burial cloth of Jesus Christ. Ignoring the fact that the cloth is not in keeping with Scripture (ie. the face cloth was a separate piece it says in the Gospels), and ignoring the fact that hundreds of years ago the RCC promoted about 30 different "Shrouds" & used them to get people to buy indulgences & thus fill the coffers of the RCC, the present RCC still promotes a lie as tho' it was truth.
    Another example is that of Patrick, missionary to Ireland. Now dubbed "St. Patrick", the RCC fails to admit that Patrick was not a member of the RCC, and later came against his followers & wiped nearly all of them out; because Patrick was one who baptized believers only by immersion (Baptist!!) and preached the gospel of grace--not works + faith as the RCC does.
    There are hundreds of other examples, but these two suffice for now.
    To the Word & it's testimony! Our only sure hope is Christ & His Word.

3. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A new member, vianney, had replied to this topic in General Baptist dicussion in the Baptist only area. I had deleted his response before checking the moderator's forum where it had been suggested that it be moved here. I would hope that vianney re-posts his reply here where it is allowed by the policies of this board. I apologize for my haste.

Clint Kritzer

4. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread was moved back to the BAPTIST ONLY Forums, under the Denominational Discussions, where it belongs. It was posted by a Baptist preacher, and it was posted for Baptists, in order that they may see the doctrinal differences without the heated argument of our Catholic brethren. Subsequently all replies were deleted, as this did not meant to be a subject of discussion (as I understand it). If somebody would like to post similar question to the Free For All forum area, he or she is welcome to it. [​IMG]

[ February 26, 2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

5. PreacherDave

PreacherDave New Member

Thank you gentlemen for the support. It was quite alarming to find a post to "inform" redirected to be a post to "debate!"
    It my hope that this post would invoke biblical discussion for the purpose of finding the truth.

Catholic doctrine is insidious. It denies original sin and teaches a works based righteousness. As is all of our righteousness outside of the Savior, IT STINKS! :D

6. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Dave, your introductory post was to the point and very informative - keep it coming! If you would like to keep it as a source of information, then you should supply more details. Make it your pet project. [​IMG]

7. PreacherDave

PreacherDave New Member

Thanks Barnabas for the suggestion. I'll have to do it little by little though because of my schedule.

Here's another:

Catholic doctrine teaches "baptismal regeneration." That is, baptism gains entrance into the Kingdom of God. The avenue is through the Catholic Church. In fact this is a point that John Calvin did not reject. Like circumcision in the old covenant gained entrance into national Israel (the land), baptism has gained entrance into physical body of Christ, the Church. The statement, "There is no salvation outside of the Church," applies. Because of the interpretations of Catholic Theologians, Popes and Edicts, the Church has the only true understanding of doctrine and its traditions secure its position.

Baptists truly believe that it is Christ, and the Circumcision of the Heart that ensures our position in salvation. The regenerating power of the Holy Spirit is the only source of entrance into the Kingdom of God, thus baptism is the command of Christ for the believer only.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

A little more on this, please! I'll be the first to acknowledge that I'm not "up" on Catholic theology/doctrine/belifs, but this is a new one to me! Any additional info muchly appreciated! Thanks, Bill