1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So why are the old Fundamentalist mad at the young ones?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by 4His_glory, Feb 23, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The recent thread in the general discussion forum concering going to a unsaved loved ones funeral exposed yet another flaw within what can be called fundamentalism.

Thankfully not all who identify themselves as fundamental Baptists are characterized by the bad hermenutics and flawed thinking that some demonstrate, but as I travel as a missionary on deputation I have met my share of it. The funeral fiasco was just one of many that I have seen and heard from others. As a young fundamentalist it is this man-centered, extra-biblical, and poor hermenutically driven, theology and attitude that I wish to see changed. For that I would be labled a new evangelical by some of my breathren.

My question to the older generation of fundamentalist is why are you so concerned with us? We simply want to see Christ the center of everything and leave the man-centered, external focus behind us. We what to soundly biblical and passionate about the glory of God. Why the conern when we are critical of the "old ways"?

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I actually (and shamefully) had lumped all fundamentalists into one category, and it has been refreshing to see that the definition of the word could use some tweaking.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Its a big big world out there. :D ;)

4. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

You nailed the problem with one word in your second paragraph, "CHANGE." People are afraid of change. We are not talking about doctrinal change but methodical change. Most people have the idea that if you do something differently than I do then you are judging me as doing it the wrong way. The reason they feel this way is that they are judging you too.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Food for thought:

1. Seems not all "fundamentalists" are as you have described. Wide brushes paint broadly.

2. If you view "fundamentalists" as judging you because you do things differently, do you not tend to judge the "fundamentalists" by denegrading them for doing thusly?

[​IMG]

I would suggest also, that ALL "fundamentalists" are not found in the camps you may run in, they are everywhere and vary widely. [​IMG]

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I guess I qualify as an "older fundamentalist" now ;) . Be careful that you don't use the same broad brush to paint us all.

For me it took getting out of the environment to realise what is really important.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is that because of the new color of your hair?

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well in a word that is what fundamentalists do, it is only a matter of time before they turn on their "own". Can anyone think of a fundamentalist movement/ group that has not had some other group break away from it after it had been going for a while because "they where getting liberal". I can't think of one.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Is that because of the new color of your hair? </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, must be the old age. I am missing this one.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same can be said for most denominations and the full spectrum of Baptists. Groups/denoms that have split: Presbyterians, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists, Assembly of God, Church of God, Mormons, Catholics (around 700 AD), etc,

In fact, can you list any group that doesn't have a split in its past based on belief, leaders, or practice?

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm guessing I'm right there with you, Roger. AND I don't know what color my hair is anymore, but I do know that my children are grown. My oldest is so grown he's preaching a revival in a couple of weeks.

Now having said all that and recoginizing the fact that I am indeed getting old -- I'm also hoping I'm included in the young fundamental group and not in the old group ... mmmmmmmm It is a mighty broad brush.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I will clarify a few things.

First I was not trying to use a broad brush, I tried to make that clear. There is a large group of older fundamentalists that have some major concerns with my generation.

Second when I mean old, I am refering to the previous and current generation of leadership and pastors, etc.

I think MikeinGhana is right on the button. The word "change" is scary to many.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

The devotion I read to my class this morning was on change -- from John Maxwell's Leadership devotional.

The Scripture was on the attitudes about defeating the Canaanites. Maxwell says there are five types when change is suggested (the ideas are his -- the wording is mine):

1) The idea person -- the innovater.
    2) Those that jump on the bandwagon quickly.
    3) The ones that have to wait and see just a bit. They need to see some of it happen with their own eyes, but they still move fairly quickly.
    4) Those that are late to jump on the idea. They've got to have proof first that it's going to happen.
    5) The bellyachers.

We tried to figure out where each of us were. I was pleased that the kids placed me in category 1 or 2. Most of them fell at about the 3 mark. Everyone agreed that even with a group of 8th graders, we still have a few that are bellyachers. They could have named them if I'd allowed it. Pretty insightful for kids.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Ah, you make me miss teaching Jr High [​IMG] .

15. standingfirminChrist

Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

The old ways are the best ways.

16. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Old is relative. The "old ways" of the early 1900s are not necessarily better than the ways of a generation later. The "old" fundamentalists would likely have been considered modern by those several generations earlier too!

The problem I see with the "old" fundamentalists is that they are more concerned with the "ways" than with the heart and mind behind them. That in itself is Pharisaism!!

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The old ways are the best ways?

The Catholic Church is reaally old, about 1700 years old. Are its ways the best ways?

18. standingfirminChrist

God's ways are much older than the Catholic ways.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And God's ways are also much older than the typical fundamentalist ways.

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Exactally! When the heart is fixed upon Christ, and God is is the source of ones joy, his life will be that which pleases God.

Many claim in their head that they are Christ-centered, but their hearts are far from it for they blindly purse externals rather that what is most important- the heart that is completly satisfied in God.