1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So why are the old Fundamentalist mad at the young ones?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by 4His_glory, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Well, it's also possible they merely felt they stuck out like a sore thumb and changed their dress to fit in, or wanted to be good Christians and concluded that meant dressing like everyone else in the absence of Holy Spirit conviction.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Good Grief -- can we spell L E G A L I S M. I can only imagine how this behavior comes across to the unsaved world.

I like Linda's hair :D (and your's is soooooo white ;) )

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Exactly! So much of what we are talking about is not sinful (in itself) but preference. Besides whatever happened to praying about it and letting God do the convicting? I'm ashamed to say that sometimes I've prayed over something or someone only in the end to find out I've been the one convicted -- wasn't what I was looking for, but it happened anyway.

4. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Or maybe he became a Manager of a Restaurant?

I'm not going to play those games with you!!! If he was online in these forums he would tell you because he said it often enough in our Testimony Time at Church...so please don't belittle them, me or you by resorting to that tactic.

5. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Ehh? Why are you so hot under the collar? You never said that he said that felt spiritually convicted to dress like everyone else, you just offered what seemed to be your interpretation. The options I offered were equally likely in the absence of that information.

I'll point out that changing one's dress merely to fit in with the group or changing one's dress to conform to perceived moral standards are not sinful of themselves--just boring in the first case and ignorant in the second.

6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I upset everybody in the music section when I disagreed with the need for drums in church

Soooo....

If I step in, after reading this discussion, I hope everyone remains prayerful and studies the Word of God daily!!!

I am hearing echoes of legalism back and forth here. And yes, preference weighs in, and as my Pastor, Dr Larry Chappell, says: "There is a vaste difference between doctrine and preference", but he is absolutely deadset against the modernistic view of many Christians today, and I have to say I am right there with him. After all, "the church" should be set aside and be above "the world", not aiming to be more like "the world"!!! When people come to church, they don't need a sideshow, a rock band, anything worldly like that, THEY NEED TO HEAR THE GOSPEL, and if your preacher isn't preaching the gospel and teaching from the Holy Bible, it's time to get rid of him and get someone in that pulpit who is!!! Pastor says that all this modernizing in the church is representative of the Laodecian church in Revelations - more and more churches think that they must become "the world' to attract "the world" and it just isn't true!!! Let the Methodists and the New Agers join forces, leave the Baptists out of it!

Debbie C

7. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Well, I understood what you meant and responded accordingly. I didn't feel the need to share every little detail and I do take issues with the fact that instead of accepting the testimony as I reiterated it (whether I said it was a testimony or not...matters little.) you want to misuse what I said and make it another way other than I relayed. Because your response ignored the change and belittled a fellow Brother in Christ (me and him).

While the Bible does identify believers who changed on the surface only there is something to be said for conforming because Christ wants us to be different from the world so I se no problem if a young Christian gets his standard of dress from the "understood" or visual standard at the Church that they attend. The Holy Spirit will work on them as he sees fit but a desire to "fit in" with fellow believers is not improper or sinful if the heart is right and the desire to fit in is glorifying to God.