1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured So, you don't like to be labeled?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Herald, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Yes, you see the problem accurately... The label would be much too long to still be considered a label. I think you'd just have to label the person's belief as "<TheirName>ism" and just make a note in your ledger as to what you think it describes and move on, no?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with labels in terms of what the Bible says is that we are trying to systematize all of biblical truth, in this case, soteriorlogy, into a 1 word answer. The Bible is much more nuanced than that.

3. humblethinker

I agree. A label can be more than one word, of course, and a container can have multiple labels, but I'm sure that's not disagreeable to any reasonable person. What you and others describe would seem to be an abuse or misuse of the idea of labels. I would propose that labels don't provide a final solution but are tools to manage information. I agree that some people incorrectly use them as a final solution but that's no reason to reject labels to the extent as some are on this board. If the label was accurate is there no possible way that the label would be appropriate? I just don't understand the aversion to any possible labels to the extent as some are taking it.

I am American. Would that label be acceptable? I am a Christian. I am a male... so many more could apply... even labels about beliefs. Labels about beliefs are, IMO, generalizations and I believe without any qualification needed that the label may not apply as I understand it normally would. This is just rediculous... -labeled-.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think for a moment about the label "Calvinist". I would imagine that most of those who call themselves Calvinists would disavow some of what he wrote. Do they believe what he said about ecclesiology? Do they believe what he believed about eschatology? The idea of a label simplifies beliefs to the point of misrepresentation.

You are an American, but it is not helpful at all as to what being an American can mean. We've all heard people called Anti-American, even when they are citizens.

What is a Christian? In some places, it means anyone who is not a Jew or a Muslim. In other areas, it might mean people who are members of the Church of Christ. To us it might mean something entirely different, in fact I hope it does.

What is a Baptist? Being a Baptist means alot different than what it did 100 years ago.

Go back in 1 Corinthians, Paul condemned them because they had some in the church who labeled themselves of Paulist or Peter-ist or Apollo-ists and the really super-spiritual group who called themselve Christ-ists.

I understand that labels can be helpful, but over time, and in this culture, over a short period of time, the meanings behind those labels change. That's why I have a difficult time with all the labels being thrown around.

5. humblethinker

I'm cool with that. I just think it can be silly for some to go to the extent that it seems some are going in rejecting labels. We should lighten up and not take ourselves so seriously. Can anyone on the BB produce evidence that a correctly given label resulted in the very thing they wanted to avoid, providing, of course, that it was reasonably avoidable? Such evidence would be that using the label resulted in a response that would not have been warranted or expected had the full explanation been given instead. Maybe specific actual examples could be given for me to better understand the objection to the correct use of labels.

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

1 Peter 1:12
    It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

Regeneration before faith is ridiculous it is the words of Jesus that is the words of life and faith comes from the word about Christ and from Christ. We are born again through the enduring word of God without it we are dead, by just walking away from life. Jesus is our life. We are to listen and learn freom Him to find rest for our soul and rest in Him.

Just because someone says they are a label does not mean i am going to believe them just because they say they are one of us.

#86 psalms109:31, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  7. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

Well, since everyone is now avoiding labels :rolleyes: all I will say is that those who believe that regeneration precedes faith also believe that Bible contains the words that lead to life. I don't think either side disputes that fact.

8. Herald

Herald New Member

Somehow I think the areas in which both sides agree are easily ignored by most of us.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

I just think that it can be silly for some to go to the extent that it seems some are going to label others who reject them.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I don't mind being called an Arminian at all. But if someone asked me what camp I would fall in, and I told them Arm, then they might say, "so you believe in a fall from grace?" If I told them "no", then they might say I am not in that camp then. It's like the four pointers; they will not be considered Cals unless they hold to all five points.

11. psalms109:31

Only those who drink of His blood and eat of His flesh which His word and the life He lead has life in them before that we all are all dead sinners. Jesus word is Spirit and life without it you are dead so eat and drink to have life eternal. Regeneration before faith is simply ridiculous.

#91 psalms109:31, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

13. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

If you left off the "regeneration before faith is simply ridiculous" part I think those who believe that regeneration precedes faith would agree that there is no other way to eternal life than through the shed blood of Jesus Christ.

14. psalms109:31

Life before the medicine the words of life is ridiculous. Do a search with Spurgeon on this.

I have to get back to work God bless you in your study. I will be on later.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why i tend to see MOST of what the Board sees as Calvinism in JUST matter regarding Sotierology itself, NOT the whole system of it, as held by the reformed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.