1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured So You Want to Be a Bible Translator!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wanting to translate God's word into our understanding is noble, and those standing in the way so they can self aggrandize might fit the definition of mulish obstructionist.

2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you read Charles Taze Russell's translation or Joseph Smith's translation?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your solution is easy: start your own thread. Don't sidetrack mine. There, obstruction removed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does a competent translator, even one untrained in the Greek, manage to mix up translation and textual criticism a number of times?

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is being described there is better referred to as interpretation or paraphrase, which certainly have their place. Teachers and preachers do this regularly, and expound in the process.

However, translation is generally meant to match the original as closely as possible, while still making sense in the target language.

Even a very good translation is no substitute for interpretation, which will require knowledgeable preachers and teachers to explain some of the meaning.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see, my native or "heart" language is English and God's Word as available today is written in Greek (among other languages). So to interpret say John 3:16, from the text as found in a Reverse interlinear, and then present that view in English is not a translation, but is an interpretation.

However, if someone knows Greek, and they go from the Greek John 3:16 into English, presenting their interpretation of the text, then that is not an interpretation, but a translation. Got it...

They see hard to separate, as any translation is an interpretation , and any interpretation is a translation of sorts. The words are synonyms. Interpreters translate and translators interpret.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One must be motivated by love to do it this way, no doubt, and it is a method fraught with difficulty. But the question was, what is the absolute minimum amount of (I assume cognitive) skill required to be a translator.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a very good question, but it happens more than you'd think. H. D. Williams, a KJV-Only author, wrote a book on Bible translation, Word-For-Word Translating of The Received Texts, in spite of the fact that he has never translated, was fluent in no foreign language, and did not know the original languages of Scripture (a classic wannabe :D). In it he gave seven illustrations of translating the NT, and no fewer than four of the seven examples are strictly about problems of textual criticism, not translation, and another is partly about textual criticism.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, then, judging by your posts, you would say that knowledge of the target language is needed, but not fluency, correct?

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not familiar with that work, but I like the title!

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My exchange with RighteousnessTemperance brings up the thought, does one have to be conversant in textual criticism to be a Bible translator? Thoughts?

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just saying literacy is the bare minimum cognitive skill needed to begin. Fluency is a necessary requirement to complete the task.

And not just fluency, but an instinct for nuances that one might only gain by living among the people and adopting their ways. Language and culture are inseparable.

13. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One doesn't have to be. But one would be a better translator by knowing textual criticism. He or she would follow the better, or original text easier perhaps.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got it, thanks.

This is very true. Having said that, input from or partnership with a native speaker is absolutely essential to getting the nuances right: semantic range, idioms, transferring metaphors, etc.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My view is a little different. My position is that a translator should simply choose the source text (TR, Byzantine, UBS, depending on the skopos, meaning translation goals), and there is no need to engage in textual criticism.

The typical translator may have read a lot on textual criticism, but will still not be capable of making text critical decisions, which is a very specialized process.

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must translators, those that interpret the intended meaning of scripture, be imbued with the stain of Gnostic knowledge, acquired in human academia, to be considered authentic?

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. So it's an interlinear. I see that the OT is the LXX. I've not been able to use the LXX (in my software) much, though I've occasionally consulted it; it's too spotty in its renderings.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more qualification is the spiritual gift of the "interpretation of languages" (1 Cor. 12:10). This goes along with the "gift of languages," occurring right after it in the chapter. Even if someone knows fluently more than one language, they may not find translating to their liking. It's a separate discipline.

In my own case, I had no idea that I was any good in languages until I obeyed the call of God to be a missionary. I had taken Latin in high school, and the usual Greek and Hebrew in college and seminary, but I never thought of myself as particularly good at languages.

When we reached Japan, I studied under a tutor first, while I waited for a place to open at the prestigious Tokyo School of the Japanese language. Then I would travel two hours one way, including car, Tokyo rush hour trains, and walking the last leg. I absolutely loved it! I reveled in it! Those were the two best years of my life, in spite of the hardships. Then, when the opportunity came to join a translation effort, I jumped at the chance.

The point is, God gifts who He will as Bible translators. Those who God gifts will love languages and revel in translating. Language ability and translation ability are gifts I don't deserve, given directly by God, but I am delighted at the gifts. (Maybe you haven't caught that from my posts.... ;))

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

• Like Like x 1