1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Social Justice Forum at Grand Canyon University Criticized

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jerome, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know how I missed this. Interesting, as it predates the recent Social Justice manifesto issued by John MacArthur et al. Do any of you James White fanboys remember him discussing this? It's his alma mater.

School's theology dean and professor apologize for inflammatory language at ministry forum on social justice:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...versial-black-lives-matter-remarks/624763001/

"After 2016 footage of a theology professor saying some Black Lives Matter members 'should be hung' surfaced last month, Grand Canyon University said theology-school leaders had addressed the 'reprehensible' language with the professor immediately after it occurred."

"Yet 11 days after the Sept. 19 school-sponsored forum, College of Theology Dean Jason Hiles encouraged more than 40 faculty members to distribute a video of the event without mentioning the controversial remarks, according to an email obtained this week by The Arizona Republic."

"'Please share with your classes as appropriate,' Hiles wrote in the email, which one former and two current GCU faculty members verified as authentic. 'I will watch Twitter closely to see if the #blacklivesmattertoo begins to trend. If not, I'll know you haven't promoted this video adequately. (Just joking :) ).'"

"Hiles...accepted full responsibility 'for failing to adequately address comments which clearly have no place in civil public discourse.' 'These comments were entirely inappropriate, inexcusable, and out of line with the University’s views on racial issues and the Black Lives Matter movement,' he said."

"Jennings, on leave until at least the end of the semester, said he 'deeply and sincerely' regretted using 'such ill-motivated rhetoric — particularly in light of our nation’s present rhetoric-saturated distress.' 'While words, once spoken, can never be taken back, my hope is that my sincere apology for my own words can pave a more gracious path toward reconciliation,' he said in his public apology."